Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cuda 911's 2nd Thread: Bought another 914 today! '73 1.7 Survivor Car!
tumamilhem
post Nov 13 2014, 03:56 PM
Post #21

LUFTBRIGADE

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,092
Region Association: South East States

Alaska Blue is a lot darker. Blue always looks good on a 914. I'm hoping the next one I find is blue. Nice find and great deal! Congrats!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Nov 13 2014, 08:09 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

Thanks, all!!

So, I get the impression that people don't much care for the Riverias. Should I swap 'em out? It isn't clear to me... were Rivs a dealer option? Or did people just put them on because they have the proper offset?

I do like the looks of that quad exhaust.

Anyone know anything about the plastic front valence or the plastic side-view mirrors on this car? Were they a popular mod back in the day?

If I can find some good OEM chrome mirrors for a good price, I'll eventually swap out the ones on this car. That's assuming the screw holes line up, and that they painted the door sill so that it doesn't have Alaska Blue showing around the mounting plates.
+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Nov 13 2014, 08:30 PM
Post #23

Dr

Member No.: 4,832
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Nov 13 2014, 06:09 PM) *

Thanks, all!!
were Rivs a dealer option? Or did people just put them on because they have the proper offset?

I doubt it is because of the proper offset, I believe Riv's are a bug offset that will work on our little NARP's

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Nov 13 2014, 06:09 PM) *

Anyone know anything about the plastic from valence or the plastic side-view mirrors on this car? Were the a popular mod back in the day?

does the rubber in the front trunk fit on the bottom of the valence? the Valence appears to be one of the syles that 914 rubber now recreates and sells on their site.

I had one that was pretty beat up on mine that looked like yours previous owner must have driven over a few curbs with it.
+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Nov 13 2014, 08:33 PM
Post #24

Dr

Member No.: 4,832

on the color issue the craigslist ad states Aqua blue as the color. your going to need to get it matched
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Nov 13 2014, 08:38 PM
Post #25

LUFTBRIGADE

Rivieras were available. I'm sure tastes have changed over the decades. Petal Fuchs have become a favorite as they are now iconic (weren't available on the -4) but were still fairly new back then. Personally I like the 4 lug Fucks polished/brushed and painted Mahles. But forget what everybody else likes. Dress her the way you like. the nice thing about having another 914 is that you can dress her up anyway you like. I have an LE Can Am, so I can't change anything on it. It's beautiful the way it is, but I can't make any personal changes mechanically or cosmetically.

I have never been a fan of that plastic ribbed aftermarket front spoiler. Some people like it. Some like the scoop one too. I don't think it looks good on the car. I do like the LE factory spoiler. You can get good repos made from the same mold for cheap if you like that one.

Very nice condition OEM mirrors are expensive. But you can get decent ones for a reasonable price. And if you want the passenger one, that one is very, very rare. so much so that most people I think it's the drivers mirror and use that one on the passenger side. But there is actually a different mirror for the passenger side from the factory. They look the same but the reflection is different and has a different part no. I have a second mint one but debating if I should put it passenger side on my LE. It would be correct because it was an option. I do like the uniqueness of these cars of the time could have one mirror. It dates the car and I like that, so I may just continue to drive extra careful.

You have two 914s now. If your 74 is your "main" one that is all OG, then have fun switching things up with this one however you like. I hope within period-correctness. Enjoy!.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Nov 13 2014, 08:54 PM
Post #26

Thanks for the additional replies.

Hmmm... I was wondering what that big rubber thing in the front trunk was for. It does have a slot along its length, so I guess it's supposed to somehow attach to that plastic valence?

In any case, I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for an OEM metal valence.

The last Porsche swap meet I was at had all sorts of 914 goodies.

There's also a 914 bra in the trunk... anyone wanna buy it? Looks to be in great shape.

Yep, gonna keep all mods "period correct." This car has a modern radio, which I'm not too keen on, But I think I'll keep it anyway.

I'm going to put on the "PORSCHE" side stickers, I really like that look. Below is my silver 914 before and after I put the stickers on. I think it looks "naked" without the stickers.

I'm not a big fan of the "Porsche" reflector on the rear trunk, but I think I will leave that alone. Took me forever to find where he had hidden the solenoid switch for the rear trunk latch. It's a tiny button mounted under the dash near the fuse box. The seller had no idea how to open the trunk.

Question: The way the switch is currently mounted, the car has to have the key in the "on" position to open the trunk. Is there any reason why I shouldn't rewire it to always be hot? Also, is there an easy way to relocate it somewhere at the back of the car?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
BobR
post Nov 13 2014, 09:16 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 17,601

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Nov 13 2014, 02:41 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 13 2014, 11:25 AM) *

QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Nov 13 2014, 11:05 AM) *
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 13 2014, 12:53 AM) *
Looks like an Alaska Blue repaint
I agree look at the engine bay shots, battery tray look like Alaskan Blue to me

But he said "Looks like an Alaska Blue repaint" which disagree with.

The original blue looks like Alaska Blue but the repaint is most certainly Olympic Blue.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Ah, yes, I agree after looking at those engine bay pix. Alaska Blue to start, now Olympic Blue.

At least I hope it's really Olympic Blue and not "Paint your Car for $99 Blue", since there's a small scratch on the top of a fender that needs some touch up paint.

A good Paint shop can scan the paint and match it if it is not stock and make up small amounts for touch up.
+Quote Post
BobR
post Nov 13 2014, 09:20 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Nov 13 2014, 09:09 PM) *

Thanks, all!!

So, I get the impression that people don't much care for the Riverias. Should I swap 'em out? It isn't clear to me... were Rivs a dealer option? Or did people just put them on because they have the proper offset?

I do like the looks of that quad exhaust.

Anyone know anything about the plastic front valence or the plastic side-view mirrors on this car? Were they a popular mod back in the day?

If I can find some good OEM chrome mirrors for a good price, I'll eventually swap out the ones on this car. That's assuming the screw holes line up, and that they painted the door sill so that it doesn't have Alaska Blue showing around the mounting plates.

I remember a couple of the 914's that I had in the 1980s had that front spoiler with the rubber chin spoiler attached to it that is in the front trunk. Lots of racers were using those in the day on their race cars, also the quad exhaust was a popular "upgrade" then. Not that many aftermarket parts were available back then and they were both available and pretty cheap.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Nov 13 2014, 09:21 PM
Post #29

Ah, OK. I have a very good paint shop near here that just resprayed the bumpers on my 996, so I'll go over there. I didn't realize they could mix up just a tiny batch.

Anyone got any photos of how that rubber piece attaches to the front valence, and what it looks like with the rubber attached? I doubt I will like it, but worth at least seeing, as long as I have the parts. The rubber piece in the trunk looks brand new.
+Quote Post
BobR
post Nov 13 2014, 09:44 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Nov 13 2014, 10:21 PM) *

Ah, OK. I have a very good paint shop near here that just resprayed the bumpers on my 996, so I'll go over there. I didn't realize they could mix up just a tiny batch.

Anyone got any photos of how that rubber piece attaches to the front valence, and what it looks like with the rubber attached? I doubt I will like it, but worth at least seeing, as long as I have the parts. The rubber piece in the trunk looks brand new.

Not that many paint shops mix their own paint. I was referring to an automotive paint supply shop that mixes and supplies the paint, tools, and supplies to most, if not all local Paint and Body shops.
My rubber on my front valence was attached with the rubber slot pushed up on the upper valence with screws and rivets going right through all three layers to hold it together. It was a pretty crude and industrial look which went with the "racer" look.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Nov 13 2014, 10:13 PM
Post #31

LUFTBRIGADE

I like the positive stripes on the car too. I hope my next car is blue. I'd put white stripes on it. Yellow on blue also looks good. But I'd place it so "PORSCHE" is centered between wheel wells. I do like the negative stripe too. But since that was first made for the LE, I prefer to keep that just for the LE.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Nov 14 2014, 12:53 AM
Post #32

Pretty much everyone mixes their own paint now, but I don't know that a typical body shop would be willing to mix up a tiny amount. I'll look around for paint shop suppliers.

I think I'll stay with the black side stripes for this car. White would be fantastic on Alaska Blue, but I think this car's color is too light for white.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Nov 14 2014, 06:47 AM
Post #33

LUFTBRIGADE

Oh yeah black is perfect for silver. I meant the white over blue. Orange also looks good over silver.
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Nov 14 2014, 06:53 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 13,549
Region Association: Northern California

Do you sidestripes in Tangerine Orange!
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Nov 14 2014, 08:38 AM
Post #35

In order to keep my car "period correct": Do you guys know if tangerine orange and other colors for the side stripes were available in the 1970s? I thought only black back then, other than for the LE versions.

I'll also order a set of nice custom coco mats for this car... the ones from cocomats.com look fantastic in my '74.
+Quote Post
eyesright
post Nov 14 2014, 09:06 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 13,979
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Nov 12 2014, 11:26 PM) *

Wow, very cool find, Mike. It looks like you have uncovered another hidden treasure. Wasn't your silver car in pretty much the same condition ... just some surface rust in the rear trunk?

Pity about the headlight motors and such ... hopefully that can be cleaned with some mild cleaner/solvent and a lot of elbow grease. BTW, I thought the 1.8-liter L-Jet engines didn't make their debut till the '74 model year (not that I'm an expert on the model year to model year changes) ...

My '70 project had two bad resprays, everything but the glass was painted over. But little by little I used a slightly dull pocket knife and removed all but traces of paint here and there without too much trouble. With the right amount of blade angle and pressure I didn't scratch any metal. I did use paint remover in a spray can on the wiper motors and the plastic headlight lever covers. If you wash off the paint remover from plastic soon enough it won't attack the plastic. But on the lever covers I left it on too long and the surface took on a bumpy texture....and it looks great! So they went right back on.

It was a bit of a chore and buying new motors....and headlight lever covers...and wiring harness...and cowl blower box...and WW squirters and reservoir and rubber lines...and more wiring harness...and wiper motors...will be easier...but any way, every night I went out and scraped the next part till I got tired and then did the next thing the next night. After a couple of weeks I was really pleased.

It may depend on the quality of the repaint too, but give it a try. You will have to do at least SOME scraping and this looks like a car that will be worth it. Good luck. The rest of us are jealous and want to see photos of the progress.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Nov 14 2014, 11:09 AM
Post #37

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Nov 14 2014, 09:38 AM) *

In order to keep my car "period correct": Do you guys know if tangerine orange and other colors for the side stripes were available in the 1970s? I thought only black back then, other than for the LE versions.

I'll also order a set of nice custom coco mats for this car... the ones from cocomats.com look fantastic in my '74.

They came in black and white for sure. They were in some of the ads (the positive stripes).

The negative stripes were made fir the LE but afterward you could get them as an option
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Nov 14 2014, 06:34 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Just got a set of Coco Mats for the '73- they look great but man they are HEAVY!! With the rubber backing they have, they'll never wear out!!

Lots of choices on colour with the "new" Coco Mats too. And Jay Leno endorses them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Nov 14 2014, 06:40 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

About the Riviera wheels- I remember they were popular because they have a 5 spoke pattern on a 4 lug hub to kind of look like the Fuch's without having the 5 lug hubs etc.

Lots of the aftermarket wheels back then had the wrong offset. I had a set of American Mags for a while in the early and mid '70's before I put on OEM 6 suspension. Looked good (or I thought so at the time) but offset didn't allow wider tires without fender mods.
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Nov 14 2014, 07:14 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Nov 14 2014, 04:34 PM) *

Just got a set of Coco Mats for the '73- they look great but man they are HEAVY!! With the rubber backing they have, they'll never wear out!!

Lots of choices on colour with the "new" Coco Mats too. And Jay Leno endorses them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yep, I just now ordered a custom Coverking car cover (crazy expensive for a cover), and ordered my cocomats from cocomats.com. As you say, they are super heavy weight and they look fantastic in my '74... really spruce up that dark interior. I'm going with the Blue/natural for my '73.

Got the car registered today. Almost ran into a problem there... I bought it from the previous owner's mother, since the previous owner passed away 4 months ago. But the title was still in her son's name.

At first, the registration lady told me I would need the death certificate and a letter from the estate executor, and that would take several months to process. Then, after a few minutes, she said... hmmm... let's just put this through. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 03:34 AM