Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V « < 12 13 14  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Show me your front oil cooler..., ...running through the fog light grills
stugray
post Jan 15 2014, 02:26 PM
Post #261

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

I looked again and Jegs DOES have a couple of hoses that are more expensive than what I picked. The Earl's sounds exactly like this hose but is $12/ft. and Aeroquip makes a StartLite, that sounds very similar but is close to $12/ft.

My brother originally used SS braided hoses in his racecar, but we got sick of them because the tiniest fray was sharp as hell and after working on the car our hands looked like we had been thrown in a briar patch ;-)

He switched to a hose very similar to mine, but when I bought mine I got what I determined was better than what he got. I guess we'll have to see how it goes. I cant afford to replace it before the next season.

The good news is that I have zero tight bends in the whole system and I support the hose anywhere it could rub on something.
I havent installed the tie-downs yet, but I'll be careful to make sure it cant move or rub on anything.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
damesandhotrods
post Jan 15 2014, 03:25 PM
Post #262

Member No.: 12,218
Region Association: Northern California

If your stainless steel hose has any nicks or frays, it is remove and replace. The hose is now garbage, the end.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Jan 15 2014, 03:52 PM
Post #263

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791

QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Jan 15 2014, 01:25 PM) *

If your stainless steel hose has any nicks or frays, it is remove and replace. The hose is now garbage, the end.

No wonder I don't race. If i did, I would be wrapping each of those hoses in 4" of duct tape.
+Quote Post
mikesmith
post Jan 15 2014, 04:14 PM
Post #264

Member No.: 16,354

Normally you wrap stainless braided hoses to protect everything else; they are like vibrating knives if not properly secured...

The aramid wrapped hose is very tough, but more forgiving on the things around it. In neither case will losing a couple of strands in the braid cause a properly made hose to 'unravel' (but if you have something that's cutting the braid, chances are it's not going to stop at just one strand).
+Quote Post
Randal
post Jan 18 2014, 04:11 PM
Post #265

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 15 2014, 12:15 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 15 2014, 11:57 AM) *

But you realize that this hose HAS a braided SS layer inside it?

So the way I see it is that this is Braided SS hose with 2 extra layers to protect it.
Still confused.

Think I also have some of the original black braided line and will check this for the under SS layer as you describe it.

Clarification: The black braided line I had used doesn't have an inter SS weave. I bought this 5 years ago, probably before the black nylon weave (SS under weave) was around.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
pvollma
post Feb 12 2014, 11:01 AM
Post #266

Member No.: 15,862
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I just stumbled upon this thread, and thought I'd add my $0.02 worth. I ran a 914-4 in SCCA GT-3 back in the late 80's to early 90's, in Texas. Cooling was of course an issue, and our solution was to put a cooler in each front fender, with the turn signal lamps removed to duct cooling to them. I don't think I ever saw more than 210 degrees on the oil temp, even in 45-minute Nationals in August.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 12 13 14
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 02:24 AM