Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Show me your front oil cooler..., ...running through the fog light grills
drew365
post Jul 13 2006, 09:32 PM
Post #41

These are the good old days!

Group: Members
Member No.: 37

When I first bought my car it had a cooler under the rear trunk with a fan. It was adequate for the street but as soon as I went on track it was not cutting it as I quickly saw temps rise to 250+. If your going to run on the track you have to protect your engine, I don't think any cooler in the engine bay will be enough protection for the track.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GTeener
post Jul 13 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #42

914 Girl

Member No.: 2,249
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) tough decision!? So many credible seeming advice... front mounted or back with a fan (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Then there's the decision of who to trust to do the work for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Trekkor,
your setup does look pretty clean. Not sure about those huge outlet holes, but I undertsand the need to vent hot air out.
+Quote Post
rickyhgarcia
post Jul 14 2006, 10:04 AM
Post #43

UPS truck is here...

Member No.: 2,198

QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Jul 13 2006, 08:39 AM) *

was that a recent excellence article? do you know the issue?

June 2004
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 14 2006, 11:36 AM
Post #44

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Gwen, here are some pictures of the Gunnar Racing 914 with twin front coolers. This wouldn't be something you would want to do to a street car but it tell you what can be done.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
rickyhgarcia
post Jul 14 2006, 11:58 AM
Post #45

UPS truck is here...

Description of Rich Johnson´s car:

An Earls cooler is mounted under the rear trunk next to the starter. A custom bracket holds the cooler and the fan set (blows down through the cooler) about an inch off the bottom of the trunks floor for air flow to the two 12v commercial fans. Thanks to Wes at H&H Enterprises for this idea.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jul 14 2006, 12:01 PM
Post #46

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rickyhgarcia @ Jul 14 2006, 10:58 AM) *

An Earls cooler is mounted under the rear trunk next to the starter. A custom bracket holds the cooler and the fan set (blows down through the cooler) about an inch off the bottom of the trunks floor for air flow to the two 12v commercial fans. Thanks to Wes at H&H Enterprises for this idea.

wont cut it for a track day.....

fine for street....

oil gets reaaaally warm at 20 minute high rpm sessions
+Quote Post
stevesc_us
post Jul 14 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 5,569

QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 13 2006, 09:52 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) tough decision!? So many credible seeming advice... front mounted or back with a fan (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Then there's the decision of who to trust to do the work for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Trekkor,
your setup does look pretty clean. Not sure about those huge outlet holes, but I undertsand the need to vent hot air out.

If you want to see a really clean set-up, I will be showing my original six at the Carlsen Concourse this Sunday in Redwood City. I have a 3.2 motor with an external oil cooler mounted on the underside of the engine lid. It is a very efficient set up. The temp never gets much above 180 even when driving it hard.

Steve
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 14 2006, 12:14 PM
Post #48

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

When is this event? Is it at Carlsen Porsche? Have a pic of your car?
+Quote Post
stevesc_us
post Jul 14 2006, 12:21 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 5,569

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 14 2006, 11:14 AM) *

Yes it is at Carlsen Porsche this Sunday. I hope to have Dean Vanni there with his full concourse signal orange six that has one the Parade in the past.

Pics of my set up were posted a couple of months ago by Carreraguy. I will try to post again.

You should try to make it this Sunday and check it out.

Steve
+Quote Post
rickyhgarcia
post Jul 14 2006, 12:49 PM
Post #50

UPS truck is here...

QUOTE(stevesc_us @ Jul 14 2006, 10:03 AM) *

Trekkor,

If you want to see a really clean set-up, I will be showing my original six at the Carlsen Concourse this Sunday in Redwood City. I have a 3.2 motor with an external oil cooler mounted on the underside of the engine lid. It is a very efficient set up. The temp never gets much above 180 even when driving it hard.

Steve

Is this your car?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jul 14 2006, 12:51 PM
Post #51

Professional Lawn Dart

QUOTE(rickyhgarcia @ Jul 14 2006, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(stevesc_us @ Jul 14 2006, 10:03 AM) *

Trekkor,

Steve

Is this your car?

interesting idea... but how does introducing MORE hot air into the motor cooling fan and induction help anything?
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Jul 14 2006, 01:10 PM
Post #52

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

Oh, I'm sure it helps.

Certainly not as much as front mounted, but it's sure better than nothing. Then again, power suffers a little more with the higher temperature intake charge...

Lid mounted coolers are very convinient, but a double edged sword. The convinience is offset by the fact that the very thing put in place to cool the motor down, is helping to heat it up as well...

But... no fan?? Not gonna be very effective there without a fan...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 14 2006, 02:21 PM
Post #53

Not another one!

Again, there's "optimal", and there's "good enough". If even "hard driving" keeps a 3.2 under 180 degrees, it appears to be "good enough", even without a fan, even with pre-heating the cooling air, etc. This is a tidy, simple setup that's easy to do, and doesn't require much cutting of the car at all. It does the job.

+Quote Post
GTeener
post Jul 14 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #54

914 Girl

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 14 2006, 10:36 AM) *

Gwen, here are some pictures of the Gunnar Racing 914 with twin front coolers. This wouldn't be something you would want to do to a street car but it tell you what can be done.

Thanks for the pix. Looks almost as nice as Brant's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I have a problem with the missing headlights.

Can it be done while maintaining operational headlights?

Do they make small coolers about the size of the fog lights that wouldn't interfere structurally or 'streetably'? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

+Quote Post
GTeener
post Jul 14 2006, 02:24 PM
Post #55

914 Girl

Hey, ya! That's what my coworker suggested! Thanks for the pix (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
GTeener
post Jul 14 2006, 02:26 PM
Post #56

914 Girl

QUOTE(stevesc_us @ Jul 14 2006, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 14 2006, 11:14 AM) *

Yes it is at Carlsen Porsche this Sunday. I hope to have Dean Vanni there with his full concourse signal orange six that has one the Parade in the past.

Pics of my set up were posted a couple of months ago by Carreraguy. I will try to post again.

You should try to make it this Sunday and check it out.

Steve

Unfortunately I have a memorial to go to in Monterey on Sunday (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

But....I don't have any room under my deck lid with the MFI. It barely fits as it is.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jul 14 2006, 02:30 PM
Post #57

Professional Lawn Dart

QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 14 2006, 01:24 PM) *

Hey, ya! That's what my coworker suggested! Thanks for the pix (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

sorry, i am anti enginebay/rear trunk cooler mount nazi.

look at that picture... where is it getting its circulating air from? oh, the hot air off the header? the air swimming around the hot tranny?

i would put it on the targa top (baja bug style LOL) before i lay it flat under a trunk...
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 14 2006, 02:34 PM
Post #58

Not another one!

Yes. Pegasus, as an example, sells coolers that are as small as 8.25x3 (inches). I'm sure there are plenty of other places you could get them, as well. Thickness may be a problem, however, unless you cut the body behind the front bumper.

I think it's probably just possible that you can fit a cooler below the headlight, along with some ducting into the wheel well behind it. You're looking at doing enough custom work, however, that this will be more expensive than a simple front-mounted cooler (custom is nearly always more expensive than off-the-shelf).

Did you ever solve your cutting-out problem, btw?
+Quote Post
GTeener
post Jul 14 2006, 02:41 PM
Post #59

914 Girl

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 14 2006, 01:34 PM) *

Did you ever solve your cutting-out problem, btw?

My SLOP problem? Yes!

Replaced the battery and MSD box and got a full tune-up including valve adjustment. No failures yet. Got a bit hard to start when it was hot, but it did start and it was really too hot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)

+Quote Post
GTeener
post Jul 14 2006, 02:46 PM
Post #60

914 Girl

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 14 2006, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(GTeener @ Jul 14 2006, 01:24 PM) *

sorry, i am anti enginebay/rear trunk cooler mount nazi.

look at that picture... where is it getting its circulating air from? oh, the hot air off the header? the air swimming around the hot tranny?

i would put it on the targa top (baja bug style LOL) before i lay it flat under a trunk...

What about a low profile fresh air scoop on the end of the rocker panels?
+Quote Post

14 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 09:24 AM