Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CUDA 911's 914 Thread ! ! !
Cuda911
post Feb 13 2015, 11:22 AM
Post #161

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

One of the brake was making an intermittent humming sound while driving. Turns out that the brake pistons were rather crudded up, so the outside left pad wasn't retracting back all the way. They cleaned up very nicely, and work perfectly now.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post May 9 2015, 08:57 PM
Post #162

Last week something went kaflooie when starting the car. There was a backfire, then the car wouldn't run well at all. The armchair pundits here guessed that it was the air flow meter.

I took the car over to Mulligan Racing Development to see what was up. They found two issues. The air flow meter did, in fact, have a warped flap. He also found that some of the vacuum hoses were incorrectly routed. As usual, the guys at MRD (Mike and Gary) got everything back in great working order. So lucky to have such a talented crew a few miles from here!.

I hate throwing things away. Anyone got a use for my old air flow meter? All the electronics in it are in great shape, it's just the slightly warped flap as far as I'm aware.

Mr. Bruce Stone was helpful in sourcing a replacement air flow meter... thanks, Bruce!

Also, they installed the driving lights that I purchased. 100watts each, so a heavy duty Bosch relay was added. Also, Larmo63 recommended the JWest flasher module, which was installed. This allows the driving lights to be on along with the main headlights, and also allows the turn stalk to be used to flash the driving lights. Pretty cool.

They also dispelled a 914 myth: I was told my many that all of the wiring for driving lights was behind the grills, and that it was a simple matter to add driving lights. Turns out that there was no driving light wiring at all back there, not even holes for the wiring harness!

Acquiring the lights and misc. items was the result of a great group effort from the guys here. Craig at Camp914 sold me the passenger side light grill, Sergio (PCA7GGR) sold me the lights, Steve Martin sold me the dash switch, and the other stuff I got from Fleabay.

I painted the grills black, will put them on tomorrow.

Also, from a combination of misc. Fleabay sellers, swap meets, and Bruce Stone, I've finally managed to assemble most of a tool kit. The first time I used the tow hook (this past Monday) the threaded part bent a bit, so I guess they didn't use hardened steel for this item.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post May 9 2015, 10:28 PM
Post #163

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

914 Myth?

My '73 was a "no frills" non-equipped model (other than a rear window defroster) and it had all of the wiring pre-staged in the front and under the dash.

It's weird that yours didn't? Mine is an 11/72 build, maybe by the time your car was built, the "bean counters" were already at work trying to make the cars more economically?
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post May 10 2015, 08:39 PM
Post #164

Yep, 914 myth. Seems like there are many of these minor items that vary part way through production years, so perhaps you are right about the bean counters wanting to keep one more bean in the Porsche pot.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post May 10 2015, 08:46 PM
Post #165

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've seen lots of changes through a model year. My '71 is an early build, 9-70 and my dad got a later '71, built in 3-71. Side by side, looking at interior and other things, they were two completely different cars. He traded his in on a 944 in the 80's. Kinda wanted some creature comforts as he was in his 70's at the time! Wish we'd just kept his 914 though...
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 03:44 PM