Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> mepstein build thread
scotty b
post Mar 17 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #1

rust free you say ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

Mark the group buy king, dropped his car off last week. I will get a good run at it next week, but for now I will post the beginning pics. I pulled his tank to take to the refinishers and OHHHH BOY what 20 years does to gas (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) More pics to come next week (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Since there seems to be very little rust to deal with it will allow me to spend more time than usual on the body and paint work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
22 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 59)
championgt1
post Mar 19 2010, 08:46 PM
Post #41

Don't embarrass me Filmore!

Member No.: 7,420
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Bummer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 19 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #42

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Wow... I know when I had it built it was supposed to be 2.0 with side shifter. So I guess its an early shell , dash and trans, late 1.8 motor and interior. Unless the 2.0 and trans was switched when I took it back to the place that built it when the had it for sale. Sat in their shop for almost a year so they could have swapped motor and trans? I never drove it after shop had it for sale and it was towed to my parents house. Not what I expected!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 19 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #43

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 19 2010, 10:37 PM) *

Oh boy, what have i done?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Andy

Helped me figure out the truth. I appreciate it.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 19 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #44

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

I have a side core I can build for you. PM me and we can talk. I do not have the other stuff, but I may have access to them. I need to check my two local sources.
+Quote Post
al weidman
post Mar 19 2010, 09:29 PM
Post #45

Al Weidman

Member No.: 8,736
Region Association: Northern California

Sounds like maybe the guy in NJ got mixed up and gave Mark the wrong car, a loooooong time ago.
+Quote Post
al weidman
post Mar 19 2010, 09:30 PM
Post #46

Al Weidman

Member No.: 8,736
Region Association: Northern California

Scotty, you have the answer, what do the numbers on the car say?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 19 2010, 09:48 PM
Post #47

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 19 2010, 11:08 PM) *

I have a side core I can build for you. PM me and we can talk. I do not have the other stuff, but I may have access to them. I need to check my two local sources.

Will do. Thanks, mark
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 19 2010, 10:08 PM
Post #48

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(al weidman @ Mar 19 2010, 11:29 PM) *

Sounds like maybe the guy in NJ got mixed up and gave Mark the wrong car, a loooooong time ago.

Same car I purchased but not same motor and trans. When I left car at shop to try and sell, they added side stripes, painted rockers and valances black (used to be body color) and changed to stock sized tires. They said it would sell better that way. But I did drive the car for 4 years and it is the one they sold me origionally. I know it also had ss heat exchangers so I wonder what is on car now since 2.0 and 1.8 dont mix and match.

I guess we just have to wait and see what Scott says about the vin.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 19 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #49

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 19 2010, 10:32 PM) *

Nope, engine is a 1.8 block with 40 IDAs on it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Lot of carb for a 1.8

Could it be a 1.8 block with 2.0 pistons or whatever combo makes a 2.0?
+Quote Post
Steve
post Mar 20 2010, 09:23 AM
Post #50

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

A 1.8 is just bigger pistons and cylinders on a 1.7. I know there are other differences such as Fuel Injection, but a 2.0 has a bigger crank and better heads.
2.0 heads have 3 bolts on the intake, the smaller engines have four bolts on the intake. This is the easiest way to tell if you have a 2.0.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 20 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #51

914-6 GT in waiting

Just got off the phone with Scott. He said it had 2 liter heads but is definately a 1.8 block. We'll get motor running again, used to run pretty good. Looks to be a tailshifter trans that was converted to side shift. Trans will be going to Dr. Evil by way of Hershey so we'll get that figured out. I have brand new brakes - calipers, disks, ect. from PMB so we'll figure out if they will work or exchange for early models. Vin on windshield matched front trunk but Scott didn't have a chance to compare with the vin on my title so thats still a mystery.

Still the same car I drove and enjoyed 25 years ago so we'll move forward on getting it back on the road as the new, improved model.
+Quote Post
ghuff
post Mar 20 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #52

This is certainly not what I expected down here.

Member No.: 10,389

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 20 2010, 09:13 AM) *

Just got off the phone with Scott. He said it had 2 liter heads but is definately a 1.8 block. We'll get motor running again, used to run pretty good. Looks to be a tailshifter trans that was converted to side shift. Trans will be going to Dr. Evil by way of Hershey so we'll get that figured out. I have brand new brakes - calipers, disks, ect. from PMB so we'll figure out if they will work or exchange for early models. Vin on windshield matched front trunk but Scott didn't have a chance to compare with the vin on my title so thats still a mystery.

Still the same car I drove and enjoyed 25 years ago so we'll move forward on getting it back on the road as the new, improved model.

At this point, in the VW community we are selling titles with vins and the panel the vin is attached to for things like Rabbits. You can still get every rabbit panel but that cowl panel with the vin.

Folks have welded those into the cars, and gone to state inspectors to pass them as salvage and gotten no funk as long as neither car is stolen.

The car could have been halved together, at least it is clean (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
type47
post Mar 20 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #53

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

QUOTE(ghuff @ Mar 20 2010, 09:53 AM) *

... at least it is clean (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Well, except for the gas tank..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 20 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #54

914-6 GT in waiting

I knew the tank would be bad. 20 years of sitting would do that to any tank but I think the rest of the car will be ok. I told Scott I don't want to do it if it needs major work. No long replacement, major panel work, ect. If it needs that, I'll put it away and buy a car that's already been redone. I don't think its worth putting big money in these cars when there are good ones available for less than cost of good restoration. Even though the vin may be screwed up it still has sentimental value but only to a point. If I could get the flared six with the 3.4 that was advertised a week ago for an affordable $, it would be a hard choice. No, it would be easy, i'd take the six!
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Mar 20 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #55

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 19 2010, 07:37 PM) *

Oh boy, what have i done?

Told and lived the truth as you usually do, Sir.
+Quote Post
ghuff
post Mar 20 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #56

This is certainly not what I expected down here.

Member No.: 10,389

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 20 2010, 10:46 AM) *

I knew the tank would be bad. 20 years of sitting would do that to any tank but I think the rest of the car will be ok. I told Scott I don't want to do it if it needs major work. No long replacement, major panel work, ect. If it needs that, I'll put it away and buy a car that's already been redone. I don't think its worth putting big money in these cars when there are good ones available for less than cost of good restoration. Even though the vin may be screwed up it still has sentimental value but only to a point. If I could get the flared six with the 3.4 that was advertised a week ago for an affordable $, it would be a hard choice. No, it would be easy, i'd take the six!

I understand
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Mar 20 2010, 01:11 PM
Post #57

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 20 2010, 11:46 AM) *

You will always put more money in a restoration that you can buy one for, even the 356 models which are now out of sight.
However the joy of seeing a car that you have lived with for 25 years coming back, is never matched.
The car is definitely a 70 71 body that someone "fixed up" notice the over spray on the front strut clamps. Wonder what color it was originally? I doubt that it has been clipped. The rear jack holder is in the left rear like it should be on 70 71 and 72 models, and the spray around the rear shock towers is very sparse just like 70 71 models. Someone obviously welded in brackets for the passenger seat to move, and one can tell by the oil filler that someone was piecing the engine together with some very early model parts (no pcv)
I would say a perfect candidate for a GT replica. PLUS the king of group buys will have himself a clone of an original 914-6 body as the 70 and 71 models were identical. How about a six conversion?????
PLUS since the serial numbers were obviously already switched, I am sure some California guy will sell you a set of six numbers and a title (I only say that because 75% of all six production shipped to the U.S. went to California!!!!!!!!!!!!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 20 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #58

914-6 GT in waiting

Thanks for looking it over with a trained eye. I know so little about these cars now, it's no wonder that they were able to fool me when I was 18. Not intrested in doing a vin swap. I culd see it for a wrecked race car but not just to say it's something that it's not. I'm not selling so the vin doesn't matter to me. Would love to put a 6 in the car but it would have to be from a wrecked car that someone sells cheap. I don't know what peices to buy and it's too much to piece it part by part. If I can't get a 6 cheap, I still plan to put a Raby motor in the car.
+Quote Post
type47
post Mar 20 2010, 03:31 PM
Post #59

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

Fix the tank and you'll be back on the road in no time. Now about those carburettors... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 20 2010, 03:38 PM
Post #60

914-6 GT in waiting

If I can convert 40's to 44's then I will use them for a Raby build since Jake told me the old Italian made Webbers are good to have. If not, when I do a motor switch, I will sell. But right now I want to get car running with existing motor.
+Quote Post

22 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 02:37 AM