Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Repainting the 914: Down to metal, always?, Curious to get your thoughts
Repainting: Down to metal, ALWAYS?
What say you?
Better skin the panels, remove the fenders, and go whole hog [ 10 ] ** [5.35%]
Down to metal, no matter what -- it's the only way [ 83 ] ** [44.39%]
Strip only where you see rust bubbles, then trust the factory primer [ 64 ] ** [34.22%]
Prep and paint it as is -- but if it's only been repainted once [ 14 ] ** [7.49%]
Prep it quick and shoot it, who cares? [ 6 ] ** [3.21%]
I paint with brushes [ 10 ] ** [5.35%]
Total Votes: 187
Guests cannot vote 
computers4kids
post Jan 14 2008, 09:04 AM
Post #41

Love these little cars!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

Attached ImageI'm on my second strip job now, first was my 74, now my75. I'ts a HELL OF A LOT OF WORK....did you get the emphasis--Not for the faint of heart.

Also consider, after you strip and re-work the body, everything else looks like crap, which leads you down that slippery slope of refurbish/replace/$$$$$$.

Lastly, once you determine the bottom line for your budget, double or tripple it and then you are closer to reality.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
warrenporsche
post Jan 14 2008, 09:47 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 5,456

If this is THE 914 you love, then you will proabaly never be really happy with it wthout a bare metal resto, otherwise, turn a blind eye and spray away!!
+Quote Post
degreeoff
post Jan 14 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #43

I like big butts and I can not lie!

Member No.: 275
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) I will (and have ) vote for the bare metal with a few places left un touched. I also give a BIG thumbs up for the soda blast....did it with mine and it rocks!! $$$ but can be done in your driveway.

Josh
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 14 2008, 12:59 AM
Post #44

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Depends on the car...
Factory primer is tough...
If you strip out all the paint how good is the new paint coverage in say the insides of the doors?
Lots of pros and cons...

+Quote Post
Krieger
post May 14 2008, 06:54 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Hey Pete,
I don't know if you remember the details of mine, but I got the body down to the factory paint and addressed specific areas/dents from there. The doors/lids I paint stripped to bare metal. I then took it to the body shop. I really had no rust on the body. It still looks really good today. The paint is 13 years old this month and I still get compliments. Color sanded, acrylic enamel. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) $1,600 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Andy
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Mar 19 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #46

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

OK, WTF with the date?

My screen says May 14, 2008 for the last post by kreiger914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Mar 19 2010, 02:28 PM
Post #47

Now it's back to March 19, 2010...

Did I just travel backwards and forwards in time???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/very_first_smiley[1].gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Mar 19 2010, 02:32 PM
Post #48

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Um.... except for yours, just now, the last post on this thread was May 14, 2008. Perhaps this thread got bumped by a new poll reply.

We really need to shut polls older than X months.
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Mar 19 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #49

Well it popped up to the top of the thread list with a date of today....

One more thing, I read all the comments in a thread and it's still flagged as "unread" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Alien invasion? Time vortex? Magnetic discontinuity? Kali Triangle?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 19 2010, 02:51 PM
Post #50

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(kwales @ Mar 19 2010, 01:40 PM) *

Well it popped up to the top of the thread list with a date of today....

One more thing, I read all the comments in a thread and it's still flagged as "unread" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Alien invasion? Time vortex? Magnetic discontinuity? Kali Triangle?

No. McMark nailed it. It's a POLL ...

Every time someone votes in a poll, the thread get's bumped to the top. They don't need to actually post anything in the thread.

So, someone is digging through old threads and votes in polls that have been dead for years thus bumping them to the top of the list.

If it shows up as "unread" again, all that means is that someone else has voted in the poll after you read it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Mar 19 2010, 04:08 PM
Post #51

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

Only paint over paint if it is the original factory finish and the finish is good but just faded. If EVER a repaint, media blasted down to bare metal, not ground down, not sand blasted, NOT chemical stripped!!!

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 26 2007, 08:09 PM) *

So I'm curious to see what the collected wisdom and experience here says -- and I'd like to hear from those who are NOT/have NOT stripped the car of every part for a "rotisserie" style restoration.

This is for those of us with running, driving 914s considering a paint job yet less than enthusiastic about disassembling the whole car.

I'd especially like to hear from Dr. 914 and others who have restored multiple 914s over time and seen how the paint jobs held up. Is a rust bubble the kiss of death for all surrounding metal?

Thanks, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

pete

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Mar 19 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #52

914 Guru

Here are some of the cars in our body shop. Anyone recognize theirs?????

http://autobodymd.net/showcase/index.php
+Quote Post
Shade Tree
post Mar 19 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 9,860
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 19 2010, 03:08 PM) *

Only paint over paint if it is the original factory finish and the finish is good but just faded. If EVER a repaint, media blasted down to bare metal, not ground down, not sand blasted, NOT chemical stripped!!!

So I'm curious to see what the collected wisdom and experience here says -- and I'd like to hear from those who are NOT/have NOT stripped the car of every part for a "rotisserie" style restoration.

This is for those of us with running, driving 914s considering a paint job yet less than enthusiastic about disassembling the whole car.

I'd especially like to hear from Dr. 914 and others who have restored multiple 914s over time and seen how the paint jobs held up. Is a rust bubble the kiss of death for all surrounding metal?

pete

Gotta ask. Why not chemically stripped?
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Mar 19 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #54

914 Guru

It NEVER fails to get into cracks and crevices and no matter how well it is washed, it later leaks out destroying the paint, if even in a tiny area, ruining the whole job. Plus it is very time consuming, tedious, and filthy work.

QUOTE(Shade Tree @ Mar 19 2010, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 19 2010, 03:08 PM) *

pete

Gotta ask. Why not chemically stripped?

+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Mar 19 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #55

There is an electro process used here in Cincinnati that is amazing. I've had them remove the foam from inside a rusty rear trunk, and killl all of the rust inside and out without chemicals that will screw up paint. They also took a 914 front fender and killed the rust INSIDE the rear double walled area as I requested.

For me, $65 a panel and darned well worth it. They also do rusty cast iron engine blocks without any dimensional bore or finish changes, and can do whole cars.

I watched them pull a Model-T from their in-ground car size tank, and hose it off without protection. No rust anywhere on their work. I asked about 5 years ago and they rough quoted $1000/car.

Here's the site.

http://www.americanmetalcleaning.us/
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Mar 19 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #56

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

I AM THE HARBINGER OF JACKSTAND DEATH. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

UNLESS THIS IS YOUR SECOND 914 AND YOU HAVE A DAILY DRIVER... OR YOU REALLY WANT A NEW CAR WHEN YOU'RE FINISHED... OR YOU'RE FILTHY RICH...NOT TO THE METAL...

SAND PREP AND PAINT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) AND DRIVE... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/andy914.jpg)

REMEMBER, IT'S NOT JUST THE PAINTING BUT THE PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER THAT'S A SHITLOAD OF WORK. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) ASK ME HOW I KNOW. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
+Quote Post
914four
post Mar 20 2010, 08:37 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 7,582
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 19 2010, 11:11 PM) *

I AM THE HARBINGER OF JACKSTAND DEATH. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

UNLESS THIS IS YOUR SECOND 914 AND YOU HAVE A DAILY DRIVER... OR YOU REALLY WANT A NEW CAR WHEN YOU'RE FINISHED... OR YOU'RE FILTHY RICH...NOT TO THE METAL...

SAND PREP AND PAINT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) AND DRIVE... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/andy914.jpg)

REMEMBER, IT'S NOT JUST THE PAINTING BUT THE PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER THAT'S A SHITLOAD OF WORK. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) ASK ME HOW I KNOW. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

Bill,

Please post some progress pix of your car. Maybe even a new thread. I'm going through the same thing and would l love to see some progress pics. My car is still not completely apart and I have a long way to go.

Kelvin
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 16 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Well, I planned to sand down to the last fill coat, but went to bare metal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=Fun+with+rust

The thing turned into way more than I expected, but you can read about my progress here. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Best,

pete
+Quote Post
crxnug
post Apr 16 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 8,489

if your going to spend money on expensive paint why not get the car get down to bare metal or down the road old rust bondo will ruin your nicely painted car and cost you more in the long run, i work at a restoration shop and you would be surpised what you can find on a car you thought was in nice shape after getting under the coats of paint and bondo ,
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 26 2007, 07:09 PM) *

pete

+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Apr 16 2010, 06:42 PM
Post #60

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 19 2010, 11:11 PM) *

I'm with Bill...
I think it depends on what you want... obviously if perfection is your goal... bare metal is the path. but for a lot of us looking to freshen paint for a driver, you can peel back to the factory paint, and if you aren't finding major rust issues... paint on, and drive
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 04:03 AM