Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Batteries, Batteries, Batteries, What do you use or recommend in a 914? Original Porsche Battery & Fuel Rail Recall Info
tumamilhem
post Feb 11 2013, 12:56 PM
Post #1

LUFTBRIGADE

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,092
Region Association: South East States

I know there have been a couple threads mentioning this, but I thought it would be helpful to have a thread solitary to the discussion of batteries to compare and contrast the pros and cons of many options to make an educated and sound decision when buying the right kind of battery for your car. This will also serve as a good guide by seasoned owners for new 914 owners.

So I'll go first with the most obvious question, and actually a current one, as I am shopping around for a new battery for my car.

What (in your opinion) is the best battery to use in a 914 and why? This is a question I am curious about because I need a new battery.

Many 914 owners prefer the Optima due to its closed top to prevent leaking of acid that drains down into the notorious hell hole, eventually destroying the frame of the car if not tended to. This is a huge advantage. Typically, the type of Optima used is the Red Top / Size 34 Series.

I have used Interstate in the past. I don't find they last too long. I also had cranking issues sometimes. The battery would seam to wear down quicker if I needed to start it a few times.

I am currently trying to take advantage of the recall on the 914 which was the battery issue. I discovered that not only did Porsche provide the battery cover, but replaced fuel lines. I contacted Brumos Porsche (I live locally) inquiring if this was still done. Not only could they not bring up anything via my year and VIN number, but not the recall number either. So they had to make a few phone calls to dig deeper into their archives. It's been a week now and nothing yet.

Here is that recall information for your information:

Porsche 914 Fuel Rail Recalls
Recall Number: 77V105000
Owner Notification Date: July 12, 1977
Record Creation Date: October 12, 1979

Defect Description:
The Battery covers on the involved vehicles may be missing, damaged, or improperly installed. This condition could allow water to contact the top of the battery and mix with acid. This mixture could cause the fuel hoses to deteriorate and lead to fuel leakage.

Defect Consequence: n/a
Corrective Action: Dealer will install a new Battery cover and hold down clamp, and replace all fuel hoses in the engine compartment, without charge to owner.

So what battery do you recommend?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 59)
Eric_Shea
post Feb 13 2013, 04:49 PM
Post #41

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Feb 13 2013, 03:24 PM) *

I do appreciate that information. Very much.

I think the kit is discontinued, and probably the parts individually may be available. They looked up the kit and that part number was discontinued years ago, while the individual parts may still remain with their individual part numbers.

The guy who was looking into all this (Blair) who is one of the service managers, spent a week and a half researching this. He even corresponded with Porsche in Germany.

I sent him all the info and documents regarding the recall, including links to other parts (SS lines by Tangerine Racing) from Jeff's 914 website (which he was very impressed Jeff has all that info on hand as it took them a while to find anything, so kudos to Jeff, whom I talked up quite a bit to Brumos, even telling them about his white plastic lines and wiring harnesses. Happy to support!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Unfortunately, the call I just got from Brumos ended my claim. Apparently, the recall was performed on my car soon after it was made in 1977, though those parts aren't on my car (still plastic lines).

So I guess I'm out a buck. Going to splurge for SS lines when I can afford it. Still have other parts to get for my car too (OG gauges, fog grills, bumper top, etc.).

If I may go off my own topic for just a quick moment in relation. I know most of you guys can do most of the work on your cars yourself. I'm not much of a mechanic. Has anybody taken their car to a shop to replace the lines with SS lines and if so, about what does it cost altogether?

You boys are killing helpless ROMs and RAMs and Andy's sever farm now has one dedicated just for the content of this thread...

Go buy a battery already. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
MDG
post Feb 13 2013, 04:51 PM
Post #42

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 13 2013, 05:49 PM) *

You boys are killing helpless ROMs and RAMs and Andy's sever farm now has one dedicated just for the content of this thread...

Go buy a battery already. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

If we just keep quoting these gigantic posts, pretty soon a single post will take up an entire page.

Cool.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Feb 13 2013, 04:55 PM
Post #43

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

QUOTE(MDG @ Feb 13 2013, 02:51 PM) *

If we just keep quoting these gigantic posts, pretty soon a single post will take up an entire page.

Cool.

If you don't know how to buy a sealed battery, then you are doomed..... To the sandbox..... Or the transition thereof........... Where's the lead I cry.... but not.... Wait, where's Sandy? He tried to tell me it was his new identity.
+Quote Post
MDG
post Feb 13 2013, 05:05 PM
Post #44

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 13 2013, 05:55 PM) *

If you don't know how to buy a sealed battery, then you are doomed..... To the sandbox..... Or the transition thereof........... Where's the lead I cry.... but not.... Wait, where's Sandy? He tried to tell me it was his new identity.

My computer actually . . slows . . down . . . when . . . I . . . . open . . . . . this . . . . thread.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Feb 13 2013, 05:11 PM
Post #45

Cross Member

If I was a genius I would advise you to always requote everything as much as possible.

OMG.....I AM GENIOUS!!!

+Quote Post
MDG
post Feb 13 2013, 05:15 PM
Post #46

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 13 2013, 06:11 PM) *

If I was a genius I would advise you to always requote everything as much as possible.

OMG.....I AM GENIOUS!!!

You genuinely are.

Oh and for what it's worth I have a Yellow top Optima for my 3.2 car. I got it because it looks fantastic in the Irish Green engine bay.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Feb 13 2013, 05:19 PM
Post #47

Cross Member

QUOTE(MDG @ Feb 13 2013, 03:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 13 2013, 06:11 PM) *

OMG.....I AM GENIOUS!!!

You genuinely are.

Oh and for what it's worth I have a Yellow top Optima for my 3.2 car. I got it because it looks fantastic in the Irish Green engine bay.

I think that brings this thread to a definitive close. No more questions. We only have answers.

(oops.... except for that rainbow goo above that yellow optima....)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 13 2013, 07:00 PM
Post #48

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(MDG @ Feb 13 2013, 03:05 PM) *

My computer actually . . slows . . down . . . when . . . I . . . . open . . . . . this . . . . thread.

I like turtles
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 13 2013, 07:07 PM
Post #49

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Peanut gallery id's aside.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Tommy - FYI you're not really out anything except maybe a plastic full battery cover, since the fuel lines would've been changed out over time to the "modern" non-fabric covered ones anyway. That's why I said to check with PCNA first to see if it was ever done on your 914(s), & if it was, move one & do it yourself if/when needed.

Also FYI - that HO Recall never did cover the tunnel plastic fuel lines at all - only the fabric covered rubber fuel HOSES INSIDE the engine bay ONLY.

I want to make those clarifications for any others hoping to get their HO Recall done on their 914(s), because all this back-n-forth & other SS tunnel fuel lines, etc. is confusing to say the least!

1 - It only applies to 914 which have NEVER had it done ONCE - only 1st time is FREE & is still required by NHTSA.

a - If PCNA has a record of it being done on your VIN &/or there is an HO Recall completion sticker on your 914 (see Jeff Bowlsby's website under Labels & Plates... for a pic of them) - then they will NOT do it.

b - If never done - then Porsche MUST do so IN THE USA ONLY by federal law as a MANDATORY NHTSA Safety Recall, with NO TIME LIMITS nor expiration. .... except your 914 expiring of course! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

2 - It only includes a new plastic full battery top cover, plus new rubber fuel hoses (non-fabric covered type) & the hose clamps as required INSIDE the engine bay from the tunnel lines to the fuel pump (if still mounted there), FPR, injectors, cold start device (5th fuel injector), etc.

There! ....clarified with zero quoting - you bunch of doofs! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 13 2013, 07:26 PM
Post #50

TMI....

QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 13 2013, 01:33 PM) *

Sorry if this is a tangent, but I think it is relevant. Regarding AGM..... Yes, gel cell batteries are different than wet cells. But please explain the need for a different kind of charger.

Please address the fact that sealed batteries are put in the same cars with the same alternators and charging circuits and old lead acid wet batteries.

If you suggest we need a different kind of charger, are you also suggesting we need a different kind of alternator, voltage regulator, and all the rest in our car?

How EXACTLY does an AGM charger differ from other trickle chargers?

Good discussion.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Rand,

It has to do with how standard chargers lay on the power in normal lead acid battery mode, vs. for an AGM to prevent overheating the battery gel - IIRC it's the lack of water in the gel which gets them hot faster/easier than water cell, but either can boil if overcharged or done too fast.

AGM mode does it slowly, then sneaks up on full charge by reducing power input in the final 80% or so, then uses a lighter charging level to maintain at 100%.

"Auto Restorer" magazine/newsletter did a good 2-3 part side-by-side test of several chargers & maintainers on the market which was pretty good, if you can get a hold of some back issues.

PS - no differences in the use of Alt., VR, etc. on the car's side of the charging system are required though. IIRC the chargers/maintainers for the dry cell also need a special slower mode too for similar reasons.

Ooops - I quoted again!
...at least I'm adding something useful info wise, instead of just useless (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) though! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Nice job Scotty! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Feb 13 2013, 08:46 PM
Post #51

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 13 2013, 05:00 PM) *

I like turtles

I thought you were into unicorns (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 13 2013, 08:49 PM
Post #52

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Feb 13 2013, 07:46 PM) *

I thought you were into unicorns (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

No... He's turtles. I'm (I guess) unicorns. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) My battery is going out on my iPad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Feb 13 2013, 08:56 PM
Post #53

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 13 2013, 06:49 PM) *

No... He's turtles. I'm (I guess) unicorns. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) My battery is going out on my iPad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Maybe you have the wrong color top on your iPad battery (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 13 2013, 08:57 PM
Post #54

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

Lock This Thread...Already
+Quote Post
Rand
post Feb 13 2013, 09:04 PM
Post #55

Cross Member

Thanks Tom, for trying to answer my question.

Oof. Please do lock. Apparently the walls between here and the sandbox aren't tall enough. I'm a firm believer in both worlds, but not a fan of one world polluting another to this point.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 13 2013, 09:37 PM
Post #56

TMI....

QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 13 2013, 07:04 PM) *

Thanks Tom, for trying to answer my question.

Oof. Please do lock. Apparently the walls between here and the sandbox aren't tall enough. I'm a firm believer in both worlds, but not a fan of one world polluting another to this point.

Unfortunately a lock hurts the guy who started the topic here and wanted answers, along with readers of it like you Rand, so the "Doofus Club" doing all the BS posting is just showing the mean & nasty side of some members on the 914 site trying to get him locked out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Bad form guys! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Feb 13 2013, 09:50 PM
Post #57

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897

Sometimes it takes a doofus to post in and point out all the doofusness that is already extant.

Let me be the first to accept the honourific.

Tom?
+Quote Post
Rand
post Feb 13 2013, 09:53 PM
Post #58

Cross Member

thinking it's enough
+Quote Post
euro911
post Feb 14 2013, 12:10 AM
Post #59

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Feb 11 2013, 07:45 PM) *
...WHERE did you find that? Source...? That must be a listing by calendar year not model year. Awesome, now that we know how many were shipped here, now we need to figuure out how many remain.
Jeff, if you're starting a list, I have three of them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
john_g
post Feb 23 2013, 11:11 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 15,100
Region Association: Canada

The local Walmart has two models of Optima Redtops, labelled 34/78 and 35/75. Which one is better suited for a 914?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 05:37 AM