Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Batteries, Batteries, Batteries, What do you use or recommend in a 914? Original Porsche Battery & Fuel Rail Recall Info
rfuerst911sc
post Feb 24 2013, 07:03 AM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

I could not find a Odyssey battery locally and was in a bind so that's why I went with the sealed wet cell # 42. I added the battery acid mat as extra insurance. If I still have the car when this battery croaks I will probably go with a Odyssey PC 925 and use their mount.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Feb 24 2013, 11:44 PM
Post #62

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 13 2013, 10:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 13 2013, 07:04 PM) *

Thanks Tom, for trying to answer my question.

Oof. Please do lock. Apparently the walls between here and the sandbox aren't tall enough. I'm a firm believer in both worlds, but not a fan of one world polluting another to this point.

Unfortunately a lock hurts the guy who started the topic here and wanted answers, along with readers of it like you Rand, so the "Doofus Club" doing all the BS posting is just showing the mean & nasty side of some members on the 914 site trying to get him locked out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Bad form guys! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I don't even know what a lock is, but thanks for that.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Feb 25 2013, 05:35 AM
Post #63

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 13 2013, 08:57 PM) *

Lock This Thread...Already

Tempting... but there's an less-intrusive way to fix it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

Hey guys... quote what you need to, but the huge trees aren't conducive to reading threads.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 25 2013, 07:07 AM
Post #64

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Rusty @ Feb 25 2013, 03:35 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 13 2013, 08:57 PM) *

Lock This Thread...Already

Tempting... but there's an less-intrusive way to fix it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

Hey guys... quote what you need to, but the huge trees aren't conducive to reading threads.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Thank you. I do believe that was the Id's point. It gets downright undesireable to go through a thread like that. Think about it as a real life conversation. Do you repeat the whole discussion with to your partner everytime you need to respond to their most recent comment in person ?
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Feb 25 2013, 07:09 AM
Post #65

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 25 2013, 07:07 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Thank you. I do believe that was the Id's point. It gets downright undesireable to go through a thread like that. Think about it as a real life conversation. Do you repeat the whole discussion with to your partner everytime you need to respond to their most recent comment in person ?

There are rude people everywhere. Some just delight in disrupting the lives of others.

Let's talk about batteries. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Feb 25 2013, 07:22 AM
Post #66

LUFTBRIGADE

So what are the performance differences; pros and cons between the Optima red top and Odessy PC 925?
+Quote Post
euro911
post Feb 25 2013, 09:56 AM
Post #67

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

I'd put my money on the Odessy ... Optimas aren't as good as they used to be.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 25 2013, 03:36 PM
Post #68

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Feb 25 2013, 05:22 AM) *

So what are the performance differences; pros and cons between the Optima red top and Odessy PC 925?

Tommy -

Odessy is lighter, dry cell (no gel nor water filled cells), smaller size & puts out comparable CCA/CA but is more expensive & needs an adapter to mount on the tray.

Optima is bigger & heavier - but comparable to old school sealed lead/acid batteries, gel mat cell (as opposed to old school water/acid filled cells), similar CCA/CA, & a bit less expensive that Odessy AFAIK, but more than old school sealed batteries.

However, recently Optima has dropped in quality & life, so maybe not worth the extra coin. Interstate batteries are closed cell water/acid type & used to be good as well, but are owned by the same company & have suffered the same decline in quality over the past few years since acquired.

As Mark said above - I'd look for Odessy or another gel mat cell mfgr. with a better rep. - of which there are a couple in Euroland/ROW, but I don't know offhand which brands are available here.

BTW folks - I had re-quoted the initial info because the topic OP seemed to have missed the info posted early on and had been overwhelmed by all the other flotsam & jetsam which some decided to post which were off-topic & didn't help Tommy out at all.

So sometimes there is a good reason to re-quote stuff, but never a good reason to slam a member's thread in order to get him closed IMHO.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Feb 25 2013, 06:12 PM
Post #69

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

I went with the Optima 35. It has been a couple of years, but after researching it, I believe that I chose the 35 because it is lighter and provides more cranking amps than the 34. The downside is that it is taller and the positive post touches my rain tray. That doesn't really bother me a great deal, so I have to say that I am happy with it.
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Feb 26 2013, 10:45 AM
Post #70

LUFTBRIGADE

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 25 2013, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Feb 25 2013, 05:22 AM) *

Tommy -

Odessy is lighter, dry cell (no gel nor water filled cells), smaller size & puts out comparable CCA/CA but is more expensive & needs an adapter to mount on the tray.

Optima is bigger & heavier - but comparable to old school sealed lead/acid batteries, gel mat cell (as opposed to old school water/acid filled cells), similar CCA/CA, & a bit less expensive that Odessy AFAIK, but more than old school sealed batteries.

However, recently Optima has dropped in quality & life, so maybe not worth the extra coin. Interstate batteries are closed cell water/acid type & used to be good as well, but are owned by the same company & have suffered the same decline in quality over the past few years since acquired.

As Mark said above - I'd look for Odessy or another gel mat cell mfgr. with a better rep. - of which there are a couple in Euroland/ROW, but I don't know offhand which brands are available here.

BTW folks - I had re-quoted the initial info because the topic OP seemed to have missed the info posted early on and had been overwhelmed by all the other flotsam & jetsam which some decided to post which were off-topic & didn't help Tommy out at all.

So sometimes there is a good reason to re-quote stuff, but never a good reason to slam a member's thread in order to get him closed IMHO.

Thanks for your input and info, Tom! Where can I find one of these battery adapters and how to install it and where do you suggest a good place to buy an Odyssey battery at a competitive price? (or where did you find yours) and which Odyssey battery(s) specifically do you recommend for a 914?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 26 2013, 11:01 AM
Post #71

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Tommy -

Someone above listed which Odessy for the 12v 914 system, and the hold-down adapters are sold at the vendors selling Odyssy - both online & bricks-n-mortar stores. Google the "Odessy & size/model #" in the posts above to compare prices.

I don't have any battery in my 914 right now, cuz it;'s getting taken apart for a full bare metal resto, but life, other projects & work keep getting in the way! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 05:41 AM