Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 4 Cylinder 911 based motor, Polo - by Dean Polopolus of APE, Inc.
bcheney
post Nov 7 2010, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,348
Region Association: South East States

I went to the Winter Park, Florida Concours De Elegance today and saw one of the coolest Porsche cars I have ever seen. It was a 356 "Special" built by Emory Motorsports. It has a 4 cylinder, 911 based motor. Dean Polopolus. Owner of APE, Inc. has engineered a powerful high performance piece of machinery by developing the Polo 4 cylinder 911. The Crank case has been casted and machined and is now in various cars all over the world. Glad I went to this event today....Have you guys ever seen or heard of this motor?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 38)
Derek Seymour
post Nov 8 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 10,151
Region Association: Southern California

I have wanted one for a 912 for years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+Quote Post
URY914
post Nov 8 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #22

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

If I had all the money I'd take two -6's and make a -12. Go big or go home.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Nov 8 2010, 09:14 PM
Post #23

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Nov 8 2010, 06:14 PM) *

If I had all the money I wish I had, one of those would be in my 356...but I dont't (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
But hey, they are WAY less $ than a 4-cam carrera motor.

One of my customers has a 4 cam speedster. Dean's motor is nice, but that 4 cam is a work of art. Amazing engine.... I think he had around 25,000.00 just in the rebuild of the engine 3 years ago.......The polopolous motor make a lot more power though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 8 2010, 09:46 PM
Post #24

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

I've had quite a bit of exposure to the Carrera engine... Driving a 4 cam speedster lightweight was nice, but it wasn't impressive for the 416K it cost. That engine cost 125K to build in 2003.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

I'd take a 2270 TIV anyday over it, the Carrera STARTS making power at 5K and thats no fun with the Le Mans gearing that was in the lightweight.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 9 2010, 08:10 AM
Post #25

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'll be "That Guy."

Aside from the fact that it looks like a baby 6, whats the point? Just to say that you have something more or less unique? I just don't get spending 2X as much as building a six to make it into a four. Where is the benefit?

Zach
+Quote Post
nein14
post Nov 9 2010, 08:31 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 262

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
QUOTE(bcheney @ Nov 7 2010, 03:23 PM) *

I went to the Winter Park, Florida Concours De Elegance today and saw one of the coolest Porsche cars I have ever seen. It was a 356 "Special" built by Emory Motorsports. It has a 4 cylinder, 911 based motor. Dean Polopolus. Owner of APE, Inc. has engineered a powerful high performance piece of machinery by developing the Polo 4 cylinder 911. The Crank case has been casted and machined and is now in various cars all over the world. Glad I went to this event today....Have you guys ever seen or heard of this motor?

I have lusted (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) oveer this motor sicne I had seen the article in Excellence and contacted Dean and got a info package on his motor.

For me a turbo charged version of the motor in a my current 914 GT turbo would be the ultimate 6 conversion with weight savings (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 9 2010, 09:13 AM
Post #27

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 9 2010, 09:10 AM) *

I'll be "That Guy."

Aside from the fact that it looks like a baby 6, whats the point? Just to say that you have something more or less unique? I just don't get spending 2X as much as building a six to make it into a four. Where is the benefit?

Zach

It fits in a 356.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Nov 9 2010, 09:59 AM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 9 2010, 07:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 9 2010, 09:10 AM) *

I'll be "That Guy."

Zach

It fits in a 356.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I'd never put one in a 914 or 912, since a 6 fits so easily...a 6 in a 356 takes a lot of work and setup to make it not handle like a boat.

2270 would be the smart money, but hey, we're talking about fantasy money here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 9 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #29

Engine Surgeon

a 6 in a 356 takes a lot of work and setup to make it not handle like a boat.

But not a TIV... In fact in conversion form the TIV is the same weight as a fully dressed 356 engine...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.aircooledtechnology.com-1095-1289320675.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.aircooledtechnology.com-1095-1289320676.2.jpg)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 9 2010, 11:08 AM
Post #30

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 9 2010, 11:37 AM) *

But not a TIV... In fact in conversion form the TIV is the same weight as a fully dressed 356 engine...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.aircooledtechnology.com-1095-1289320675.1.jpg)

And there is the point.
10K will get you a heck of a nice T4.
10K will get you a great Subaru conversion with enough power to kill the transmission - with near zero added weight.
15K will get you a totally bitch'n T4.

No matter what engine you put in it, its a conversion car with a lowered resale.

While the 4 engine here is undoubtably cool, I don't know that this engine could do anything that the T4 or Scoob could not do at 1/2 or 3/4 the price - and down the line it will be very hard to find parts for if it needs them.

Then again, I may be looking at it from the point of view of a guy with insufficient bankroll to appreciate such things. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) ?

Zach
+Quote Post
nein14
post Nov 9 2010, 12:02 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 262

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 9 2010, 10:08 AM) *

And there is the point.
10K will get you a great Subaru conversion with enough power to kill the transmission - with near zero added weight.

No matter what engine you put in it, its a conversion car with a lowered resale.

While the 4 engine here is undoubtably cool, I don't know that this engine could do anything that the T4 or Scoob could not do at 1/2 or 3/4 the price - and down the line it will be very hard to find parts for if it needs them.

Then again, I may be looking at it from the point of view of a guy with insufficient bankroll to appreciate such things. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) ?

Zach

This absolutely about the uniqueness and cool factor and best of all its all porsche (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 9 2010, 12:28 PM
Post #32

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

"This absolutely about the uniqueness and cool factor and best of all its all porsche"

On any of the above motors....It's Only Money we're talking about. In these areas, who gives a flip about resale? (Naturally, I'm speaking for the rich, like Doctors and such (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) ) For the rest of us, if we could get one, we would. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

What a great idea and cool 356! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 9 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #33

Engine Surgeon

The beauty of the TIV in that 356 is the 100% bolt in affair that coupled it together..

No body mods, no suspensions mods and no transaxle mods were necessary. The OE engine could be replaced in less than two evenings.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Nov 9 2010, 12:57 PM
Post #34

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

Good point.

Maybe I'll tell that to a local guy I may sell my 2.0 to for his beetle :-)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 9 2010, 02:49 PM
Post #35

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(nein14 @ Nov 9 2010, 01:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 9 2010, 10:08 AM) *

And there is the point.

Zach

This absolutely about the uniqueness and cool factor and best of all its all porsche (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

Eye candy
+Quote Post
ME733
post Nov 9 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 9,209

....Included in the "cool factor" are a few points not mentioned.., All of the inherent design advantages such as,..It,s an overhead cam engine, stock with dual valve springs,and large valves,with a "hemi" combustion chamber, valves are opposed ,twin plug would be no problem, more main bearings,set-up for dry sump as oem, Higher sustained RPM,s with more reliability,plentful parts..chains,seals, bearings,piston and cylinders,etc., and all the trick parts, and racing knowledge of the 911 engine would apply....all in all a very great idea. Naturally as a deritave of the 911 engine it costs more than a 914-411 VW engine. Naturally.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 9 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #37

914-6 GT in waiting

I get it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 9 2010, 07:36 PM
Post #38

Engine Surgeon

Here is another example from the Dana Point concourse earlier this year...

Thats a DTM equipped, 2270 Raby TIV in stealth mode... It fooled lots of people, even at Dana Point! Attention to detail? Hell Yeah!
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Nov 9 2010, 07:47 PM
Post #39

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Well, I'll be that "other guy". If I were to spend $28K on an engine it would be the H1 V8. 450hp, 10K red line, weighs 200 lbs... Sorry I'm not even close to being a purest...
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 04:04 AM