Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rabbitt Flares
SilverBullet
post Jan 29 2003, 08:53 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 53

There's actually quite a few different trim pieces that were made for the rabbit. There was both a very small metal trim peice, and a couple of differnt plastic trim peices. The metal version was VERY small (natural aluminum color) and it covered only about 1 inch of the lip, of the flare. There were three different plastic versions. One was black and covered 95% of the flare, then there was one that was smooth and painted to match which was also 95%, lastly there was a very small platic trim peice like that seen on some of the 1980's style 911's, it was only on the rear flares and it was only on the leading edge, black in color.

Jay
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
chunger
post Feb 5 2003, 04:19 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 133

Question about installation for those who've done it. . .

How much of the Rabbit fender do you need? Is it similar to the factory M471 kits? Leave a couple inches 'round the edges?

Also, on istallation, do you cut exact and booty weld them in? Or do you overlap the flares on and lap weld them?

Ed Mayo's racecar looks like it has 16x7 fuchs on it. . . were there spacers involved there? Or was it bolted right up. . . I just got a set of 16x7's and would like to run 225/50's on them w/ a cheap set of flares. . . of course, by the time I calculate time spent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) . . . welding them in, it'd have been cheaper to buy a set of fiberglass fenders. . . oh well, work harder, not smarter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) .

-'Chung
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Feb 5 2003, 04:32 PM
Post #43

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

225's on a 7x16 is too wide IMO
The tire will flex all over the rim when sideloaded
The grip you think you will gain with the 225's over 205's is lost in the deflection of the tire
I'd even dare to state that it handles worse with 225's than with 205's

YMMV...

Jeroen
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 5 2003, 04:37 PM
Post #44

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Jeroen @ Feb 5 2003, 02:32 PM)
225's on a 7x16 is too wide IMO
The tire will flex all over the rim when sideloaded
The grip you think you will gain with the 225's over 205's is lost in the deflection of the tire
I'd even dare to state that it handles worse with 225's than with 205's

YMMV...

Jeroen

i dare to object (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
i run 225/50 x 15 on my 7" and they fit perfectly. even under heavy side-load ...

mhmmm, i don't have a closeup foto of the tires, that's the best i can get:

(IMG:http://www.sirandy.com/pix/914/09.01.2002/IMGP0617.JPG)

Andy
+Quote Post
chunger
post Feb 5 2003, 06:03 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 133

Interesting. . .

From looking at the tire specs, seems 225 is pretty standard on a 7" rim. Most tires seem to specify 6"-8" rims so I'm cutting it right down the middle w/ the 7" fuchs. Tread width is 7.9" on the bridgestone Potenza's. I've got 215/40 R16's on there right now, and they look like they could stand to come out 10mm no problem. Street car. . . a little extra rim protection is not a bad thing for me.

These just need to get the car on the road and hold me over 'til the fiberglass and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif) 345/35 15's go on the back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Already have the rims and tires for that. . . just can't afford the body panels just yet.

-'Chung
+Quote Post
seanery
post Feb 5 2003, 06:27 PM
Post #46

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

911's with 6's and 7's had 225's on the rears, right?

My 86 951 had 205's on 7's and 225's on 8's (FUCHS), I plan on running at least a 225 on the front of the 914 with the 8's from the 951.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 03:50 PM