Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Another starting problem, This one is different from the rest, I promise.
Matt Meyer
post Jun 12 2006, 09:56 AM
Post #1

Überlurker

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,411
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You guys seem to know everything but I haven’t seen this one yet.

To make a long story short. The problem is almost certainly with the lock cylinder part of ignition. I can start the car by turning the electrical portion of the ignition switch with a screwdriver (steering column torn apart). But with the key (lock cylinder and electrical switch put back together) no start. Assembled, the ignition will turn to on (dash lights up, fuel pump primes) and turns another approx. ?¼? turn, makes a click (relay, not starter solenoid or relay) but no start. I’m not sure if the key needs to turn just a little farther (it feels like it is turning all the way) or if the lock cylinder is too sloppy to turn the switch that last little bit.

While trying to figure out a fix last night I thought I observed that the bottom of the ignition switch keyway is spring loaded. It seemed that if the bottom of the keyway was not pushed in the switch would not turn the last 1/8th (no start?). Can someone confirm this? The key when inserted into the ignition does push the lock cylinder key down a small bit. Could my worn non original key just be a tad too short with wear? Maybe the lock cylinder just needs to be in another 1/8” but I don’t see how.

More trouble shooting tonight but any help would be appreciated.

Also, my 914 is a 75 and I don't think the Pelican tech artical is going to help me get the lock cylinder out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 09:28 PM