Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

35 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PorSTi Project Thread…, Well that was fun, time to make some upgrades!
CptTripps
post Mar 10 2014, 06:58 AM
Post #361

:: Punch and Pie ::

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Admittedly, I was expecting something more dramatically bad to happen when you revved it up there.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 11 2014, 04:03 PM
Post #362

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154
Region Association: None

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Mar 10 2014, 04:58 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Admittedly, I was expecting something more dramatically bad to happen when you revved it up there.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
I too was a bit uncertain about what would happen but the car needed to start its new life in an appropriate way so I went for it. Turned out quite well.

After the burnout I took it out for a leisurely cruise with my wonderful wife. The temps starting climbing so I brought it back to the garage to work some more air out of the cooling system.

I then took it out for a less leisurely drive and blew an intercooler line off attempting a rolling 2nd gear WOT launch. Made some awesomely terrifying noises but no harm done. This thing is going to be very fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I also found out that near full throttle pedal travel, the sensor faults out so I need to modify the linkage a bit. Not a huge problem but did result in some pushing before I figured out what what going on.

At the end of the testing the car started to stall out. I am pretty sure that I am almost out of gas because the tank is not baffled so it could suck air as the fuel is sloshing around.

Unfortunately in the middle of this I found out that my 96 year old grandmother is terminally ill so I parked it and am now in Wisconsin.

Stay tuned.
Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 23 2014, 05:24 PM
Post #363

That's opposite lock!!

Had a great day in the garage. Took care of a transmission output shaft seal leak on my wife's '05 Legacy GT Wagon. While I had it out I also fixed a small exhaust leak. It went so well that I had a couple of hours to work on the PorSTI.

I have been struggling with an issue where when the engine loads up it starts running like garbage. I had convinced myself that the ECU was hitting some failsafe target and going into a protection mode because it felt a lot like when my Galant VR4 would hit fuel cut. I took log after log with different signals but could not find anything maxing out. The only thing that looked at all abnormal was that the O2 sensor was saturating at full rich when this occurred. I figured that it was part of the protection mode.

Some more research and deep thought and I changed my diagnosis to a boost leak. Pulled the intercooler and checked all of the couplings. Sure enough, one of the couplings had slid past the clamp but was still over the tube so at low boost/vacuum it was still sealing but at high boost it would leak. Put everything back together and it goes like mad. Rolled into the throttle in second gear and got almost immediate wheel spin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Gotta love boost!

As for the clutch, the problem is a lack of stroke at the slave cylinder. I am going to replace the 3/4" master with a 1" to increase the slave stroke.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 16 2014, 07:21 AM
Post #364

That's opposite lock!!

With the car running I had a chance to drive it to get the required out of state vin inspection so that I can register it.
My plate idea was still available!
Attached Image

I actually received the plates last weekend but I have been too busy following CptTripps build thread to update my own!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Apr 16 2014, 07:39 AM
Post #365

Ok...so I have a HUGE issue here mister.

You're only about 1:45 south of me and I'm just now figuring this out?

I need you to get in that car and drive your ass up here so I can compare things and make sure I don't build myself a hand grenade.

No excuse. I'll expect you in my garage at 6:00pm tonight.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 16 2014, 08:00 AM
Post #366

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Outstanding! Great work. Mucho congratulations. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 16 2014, 09:38 AM
Post #367

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 16 2014, 05:39 AM) *

Ok...so I have a HUGE issue here mister.

You're only about 1:45 south of me and I'm just now figuring this out?

I need you to get in that car and drive your ass up here so I can compare things and make sure I don't build myself a hand grenade.

No excuse. I'll expect you in my garage at 6:00pm tonight.

Looks like you have everything well under control but if you need any specific pictures or anything just let me know.

I still have some minor details like brake lights and blinkers to hook up before I can get too far away from home. Hope to get most of it knocked out on Friday and then I can start finding excuses for mid range road trips.

I need to get some serous miles on it before June because I will be joining by Detroit buddies on Hot Rod Power Tour. Need to know that it will hold up to 2500 miles over a week of daily burnouts and other shenanigans. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Apr 16 2014, 09:42 AM
Post #368

It may LOOK like I have it all under control, but I imagine that there's something backwards somewhere that I will need a 2nd...or 3rd...or 4th set of eyes on before I feel comfortable driving it more than around the block.

So I'll expect that next weekend you'll be able to come up and help me shake-down mine! Right??? Come on man...it can be your first "mid-range" trip. I'm a short 2h drive up 71!
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 17 2014, 07:28 AM
Post #369

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 16 2014, 07:42 AM) *

It may LOOK like I have it all under control, but I imagine that there's something backwards somewhere that I will need a 2nd...or 3rd...or 4th set of eyes on before I feel comfortable driving it more than around the block.

So I'll expect that next weekend you'll be able to come up and help me shake-down mine! Right??? Come on man...it can be your first "mid-range" trip. I'm a short 2h drive up 71!

I had a buddy conduct a sanity check for me. It was useful to have somebody reasonably unfamiliar with the setup check it over because I had looked at it so many times that I was missing some obvious things.

Biggest things to pay attention to are those that can cause over boost. Make sure the boost control solenoid is plumbed properly and if you are using the stock plumbing, check that the restrictor pill is in the correct place.

Good to hear that you are stepping back from the goal to drive to Hershey this weekend...no sense cutting corners now.
+Quote Post
1stworks
post Apr 17 2014, 08:18 AM
Post #370

Member No.: 15,718

Congratulations!!!!!

The car sounds sick!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 20 2014, 06:36 PM
Post #371

That's opposite lock!!

Had a some fairly productive garage time over the long weekend.

I installed the 1" master cylinder for the clutch. I am definitely getting full disengagement of the clutch but the pedal force is somewhat obscene. I am considering changing to a 7/8" master but need to do the calculations to see how much the pedal force and slave travel will go down.

I had the wife drive it just to see what her reaction would be to the clutch. She was more uncomfortable with the position of the steering wheel than she was with the clutch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

I also hooked up the brake lights and blinkers so the car is legal to drive. Unfortunalty when I took it to go on the madden voyage to the gas station, the car started bucking again...apparently when I was doing burnouts in the driveway earlier in the day I blew a IC hose off again.

Anticipating that this would continue happening I purchased a Harbor Freight Bead Roller during the last super sale.
Attached Image
It does a pretty good job but I had to clamp a reinforcing bar on the back side to keep the rollers aligned.

I even put a bead on the input/output of the IC.
Attached Image
Talked the wife into powering the rollers while I rotated the IC.

Unfortunately I must have something mis-clamped because I am still getting a hesitation. Sucks, I was planning to drive it to work tomorrow.

Cheers
Scott
+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 20 2014, 06:52 PM
Post #372

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Very Nice, I have one of them and never thought about doing that, I will have to try this. I have built them out of Vice grips and exhaust clamps. Did what I needed it to do, on my turbo pipes on my TDI.

+Quote Post
RonW
post Apr 20 2014, 08:13 PM
Post #373

Member No.: 5,340
Region Association: Northern California

great thread, from start to end. glad to here its on the road.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 21 2014, 02:59 PM
Post #374

That's opposite lock!!

I think that I just calculated myself into a corner and am now doubting myself.

I went from a 3/4" master to a 1" master.
The slave is 7/8".

I calculated that this increased the force needed at the master cylinder ~79%.

If I would have went from a 3/4" to a 7/8" master, I calculated that I would have only increased the force needed at the master cylinder ~29%.

Anybody want to double check my math.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 21 2014, 08:42 PM
Post #375

That's opposite lock!!

Come on...somebody wants to dust of the old HP48 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/prop.gif)
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Apr 21 2014, 10:35 PM
Post #376

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

Well with the increase in diameter of your master cylinder piston, the area of the circle has increased from 0.442 square inches with the 3/4" master cylinder to 0.785 square inches with the 1" master cylinder.
I calculate that at about 78% increase in area.
The 7/8" master cylinder would put you in the middle with 0.601 square inches or about 34% increase.

Jim
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 22 2014, 09:53 AM
Post #377

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 21 2014, 08:35 PM) *

Well with the increase in diameter of your master cylinder piston, the area of the circle has increased from 0.442 square inches with the 3/4" master cylinder to 0.785 square inches with the 1" master cylinder.
I calculate that at about 78% increase in area.
The 7/8" master cylinder would put you in the middle with 0.601 square inches or about 34% increase.

Jim

Thanks Jim!
Basing the comparison on area vs force is a much cleaner way of getting to the same results.

I ordered a 7/8" master to get the force improvement. The slave stroke should still be fine.

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Apr 24 2014, 11:30 AM
Post #378

That's opposite lock!!

I sorted out the issue with the boost and it is running great again. So great in fact that I decided to drive it to work today.
Took the opportunity to fill it up at the pump for the first time.
Attached Image

I did find that with a full tank, fuel will slosh out of the vent. It is so fun finding issues like this finally!
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Apr 24 2014, 05:13 PM
Post #379

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
RonW
post Apr 24 2014, 07:11 PM
Post #380

Member No.: 5,340

NICE! no vids?
+Quote Post

35 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 11:53 AM