Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tubeframe 914, Started work on my rear custom uprights
stewteral
post Sep 24 2010, 02:53 PM
Post #41

Old Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,424
Region Association: Southern California

Hi Randall,

I'm in California with a California car that I'm rebuilding with more rust than yours! So I hope you appreciate that you have a good car for your project.
Having the paint and body already done is a great way to start and the color is great!

Thanks for all the great photos, your work is absolutely superior and sets a standard for all us to try to attain.

Thanks also for your rotissorie for the car gave me an idea on how I can build one for my project!

I would love to see more photos as you build your tube frame and install the Subie engine.

Best of luck,
Terry
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Hontec
post Sep 24 2010, 03:02 PM
Post #42

I see things.....

Member No.: 12,210
Region Association: Europe

Terry

Thank you, The car had been in a paintshop for 10 years before I bought it. The papers that come with the car say it's black........The paintjob however isn't that good, when I started removing the tar on the bottom, beneath it, it was covered in rust, and when i removed some sealant in the back, there was rust underneath.
All of this tells me the paintjob wasn't done thoroughly. I however do appreciate the chassis is in a pretty good condition compared to many others I have seen.
Nevertheless it will be paintstripped completely again...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Sep 25 2010, 07:39 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 11,426
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) My hat's off to you, excellant job. Wish I had a tenth of your skills. Look forward to more picts, would also like to see previous projects.

Dave
+Quote Post
roadster fan
post Sep 25 2010, 10:10 AM
Post #44

Project Frankenstein !!!!!!!!

Member No.: 5,184
Region Association: Northern California

This is going to be so fun to watch! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Jim
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Sep 25 2010, 10:53 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

Randall, top quality work and skills ! I know of 2 other tube frame 914s here in the states, but your "Show and tell" pics are fascinating at the least. Good things coming from Den Haag (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Marty
+Quote Post
Hontec
post Sep 26 2010, 10:54 AM
Post #46

I see things.....

Thanks guys, your inputs are appreciated!

@ Marty; you know Den Haag? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Hontec
post Sep 26 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #47

I see things.....

Have some AST airjacks left over from a previous project, Looks like fun to incorporate these into the 914 tube frame.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i854.photobucket.com-12210-1285522994.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i854.photobucket.com-12210-1285522994.2.jpg)

Picture of how it was installed in a previous project. Mid engined Honda Integra with an NSX V6 and inverted porsche G50 transmission.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i854.photobucket.com-12210-1285522994.3.jpg)

For those that asked for it; pic of the Integra setup:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i854.photobucket.com-12210-1285522995.4.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i854.photobucket.com-12210-1285522995.5.jpg)

Project was sort of a bet with a friend that It wouldn't fit, when I proved it did, I lost interest and scrapped it

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i854.photobucket.com-12210-1285522995.6.jpg)

Have some other goodies left over: BTCC centerlock wheels, I have 8

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i854.photobucket.com-12210-1285522996.7.jpg)

And the huge-ass brakes that fit them;

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i854.photobucket.com-12210-1285522996.8.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i854.photobucket.com-12210-1285522996.9.jpg)

Not sure yet about the wheels and brakes, They will be centerlocks, but not sure if I will use the OZ. They are light thouhg for 19"

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i854.photobucket.com-12210-1285522996.10.jpg)

+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Sep 26 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #48

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

Thats a lot of work to prove a point...but very nice indeed.

-Britain
+Quote Post
Hontec
post Sep 26 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #49

I see things.....

QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Sep 26 2010, 07:59 PM) *

Thats a lot of work to prove a point...but very nice indeed.

-Britain

Absolutely true, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) kind of drastic, but I already had 5 or so cars and another carcass out back was sort of too much...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Sep 26 2010, 03:59 PM
Post #50

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The ultimate 914 option.......built-in jackstands!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Incredible thread, incredible workmanship.
+Quote Post
ripper911
post Sep 26 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #51

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654
Region Association: South East States

I love the Netherlands (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) , I've only been once (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

I hope to go back and visit as soon as possible.

Nice work, Keep it coming!
+Quote Post
URY914
post Sep 26 2010, 07:05 PM
Post #52

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Please explain to me again why you need to build such a strong jig? I don't understand the need for all the bracing. It is very nice work and looks great.
+Quote Post
sooba_dave
post Sep 26 2010, 07:07 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 11,848
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Holy cows! I can't wait to see the next set of pictures! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Hontec
post Sep 27 2010, 02:17 AM
Post #54

I see things.....

QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 27 2010, 03:05 AM) *

Please explain to me again why you need to build such a strong jig? I don't understand the need for all the bracing. It is very nice work and looks great.

You're absolutely right, I don't need to build it this strong. But that's how I like to do it and since I want to build a good jig for my use ,and when I'm done,as a repair jig that I can rent out to the 914 guy(shop) here in The Netherlands. My reasoning is that I can better make it fool proof then... I've seen a few jigs now and they were too simple, If I just weld a single upright to mark a fixed point on the chassis, the welded part will distort under heat and the position to be marked will be incorrect, hence my multitude in bracing.
Better to be safe than sorry is my filosofy.....I'm not going to take any chances with this car. I want to go flat out, with a good powefull engine and a sequential transmission. I know the guy that makes the carbon bodies for the Spijker cars and he is going to make my fenders (GT) out of carbon, as well as the doors and hoods/roof.
Exterior wise I want her to look like a stock GT, but only way lighter and way more powerful. The Inside needs to be high tech.......
My wife calls it OCD..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
phillstek
post Sep 27 2010, 06:11 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 11,741

QUOTE(Hontec @ Sep 27 2010, 06:17 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Sep 27 2010, 03:05 AM) *

You're absolutely right, I don't need to build it this strong. But that's how I like to do it and since I want to build a good jig for my use ,and when I'm done,as a repair jig that I can rent out to the 914 guy(shop) here in The Netherlands. My reasoning is that I can better make it fool proof then... I've seen a few jigs now and they were too simple, If I just weld a single upright to mark a fixed point on the chassis, the welded part will distort under heat and the position to be marked will be incorrect, hence my multitude in bracing.
Better to be safe than sorry is my filosofy.....I'm not going to take any chances with this car. I want to go flat out, with a good powefull engine and a sequential transmission. I know the guy that makes the carbon bodies for the Spijker cars and he is going to make my fenders (GT) out of carbon, as well as the doors and hoods/roof.
Exterior wise I want her to look like a stock GT, but only way lighter and way more powerful. The Inside needs to be high tech.......
My wife calls it OCD..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Hoe gaat het met u...echt goed werk op uw auto!

When you get the guys from Spyker to make your carbon parts get them to make some for me also.

Better yet, why not organize a group buy!?

Phil
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Sep 27 2010, 06:25 AM
Post #56

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

You and Dana and Rick need to have a master build sometime (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 27 2010, 07:43 AM
Post #57

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 27 2010, 07:25 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
You and Dana and Rick need to have a master build sometime (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
[/quote]

Don't count yourself out of that build Scotty... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

I like your fixture. I have a Celette Bench but no fixtures yet. I now have a nice straight chassis to work off of like yours. I think based on what I have seen the 914's in your part of the world could benefit from your fixture. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
Hontec
post Sep 27 2010, 08:30 AM
Post #58

I see things.....

QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 27 2010, 02:25 PM) *

I am a master in thinking up the most weird things, so that would be interesting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Hontec
post Sep 27 2010, 08:34 AM
Post #59

I see things.....

QUOTE(phillstek @ Sep 27 2010, 02:11 PM) *

Hoe gaat het met u...echt goed werk op uw auto!

When you get the guys from Spyker to make your carbon parts get them to make some for me also.

Better yet, why not organize a group buy!?

Phil

Heel goed, dankjewel!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

About the fenders/hoods... The molds will be mine after this , so technically reproduction is possible....If it turns out the way I want to, I will seriously consider producing them...

+Quote Post
Hontec
post Sep 27 2010, 08:39 AM
Post #60

I see things.....

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 27 2010, 03:43 PM) *

I like your fixture. I have a Celette Bench but no fixtures yet. I now have a nice straight chassis to work off of like yours. I think based on what I have seen the 914's in your part of the world could benefit from your fixture. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Celette is the best, however expensive. The fixtures I think you're going to have to make yourself.......In the old original 914 repair manuals I bought in Germany, I saw that porsche had jigs for the front suspension etc, but finding them is near to impossible I guess..

Indeed 9 out of 10 914's here are bad......And I'm glad I have my fairly excellent chassis for this project......but it cost me, I paid around 8k in us$ for this one in good shape.....without engine/transmission but rolling.....
+Quote Post

20 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 02:22 AM