Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1971 Gold Metallic Project, The Turbo 1.7
McMark
post Jan 19 2015, 11:00 PM
Post #221

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Drove it home tonight but didn't find the magic boost. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) time to look at waste gate control. I know from my undercar video that the waste gate is opening quickly.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
edwin
post Jan 20 2015, 02:35 AM
Post #222

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,384
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Easy way to check how quickly and what levels are possible is to quickly pull the wastegate line off. What are you doing for a boost controller? I assume a Mac style solenoid and pwm from the microsquirt?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 21 2015, 12:55 AM
Post #223

914 Freak!

Right now it's just the built in waste gate. This is a Chinese knockoff KKK so I expect the wastegate is the weak point. Looking at the turbo smart adjustable controller (bleed off style). But I just realized maybe I should install the real KKK turbo I got from Mike. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
edwin
post Jan 21 2015, 02:04 AM
Post #224

Member No.: 10,384
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

The wastegate settings on the turbos would be the same I expect.
Turbosmart bleed valve is an easy fix or if you have a spare pwm channel on the microsquirt then use that and a boost solenoid for the best control.
Do yourself a favour and just unplug the wastegate and plug the boost line. Go for a drive and watch the boost. Just remember the only think limiting the boost will be your foot.
Only do this for testing.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 21 2015, 12:25 PM
Post #225

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Mark,

What you do differently if you had to start from scratch?

The '73 I am getting that has the bad motor supposedly has a Kerry Hunter header on it...hmmmm, and it already has a megasquirt on it....
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 21 2015, 11:28 PM
Post #226

914 Freak!

I don't think I would do anything differently. It's been great for a long time now, and I enjoy it every time I get in. It's a long slow learning process, but so far the minor changes I have made here and there haven't made much difference. So there haven't been any big mistakes to correct. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Mar 4 2015, 12:58 AM
Post #227

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Loved reading thru your thread, can you post some pictures of your coil setup?
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 24 2015, 08:15 PM
Post #228

914 Freak!

Installed the high amp alternator today. Laughably, I did that whole upgrade mostly because I was seeing a lot a variation in battery voltage (via the MicroSquirt logs). But the alternator wasn't the problem. Tried a different battery. That wasn't the problem either. Started checking the relay board, pulled and reinstalled the fuel injection connector, and all went back to normal. So I did all this work and it was just a corroded connector after all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I also resealed my exhaust.... Hallelujah! Btw, I never 'got' the tip about annealing the copper exhaust gaskets, until this time. Holy crap, I should have listened to everyone a LONG time ago. So much nicer. So much quieter.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 24 2015, 10:27 PM
Post #229

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Can't blame you for doing the upgrade. I have similar symptoms showing on the factory gauge. Very annoying. Glad you found the real issue.
+Quote Post
Aircooledfool
post May 25 2015, 05:41 PM
Post #230

Member No.: 6,858

This may have been asked already, do you plan to offer this type of setup to the public?
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 25 2015, 06:47 PM
Post #231

914 Freak!

Never as a loose collection of 'bolt on' parts. I'd be happy to build a setup for someone, but it would be build-to-order and also dependent on the rest of my work load. You have to get the fuel injection and that's around $3k, the turbo and exhaust fab work would be another $2000-2500. If anyone is interested, they can PM me.

Just realized maybe you're talking about the alternator setup. Same caveat, but the price is more reasonable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) The alternator itself is in the $300 range, plus shop rate for making the modifications to the unit, which would be in the $200 range.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 25 2015, 07:37 PM
Post #232

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Mark,
As far as the turbo is concerned, I think you've proven the concept. Let's build a new engine and bolt on the turbo. That way you can customize the cam grind, get heads that work really well with boost...
I can come down for build days! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
nine9three
post May 26 2015, 04:09 PM
Post #233

Member No.: 13,946
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I've enjoyed reading this thread. Seems to me that a well designed turbo system would find a home among many on this board. My only issue is the cost. It would seem to me that the easiest way to control some those costs would be to keep as much of the original system as possible (D-jet/L-Jet). I'm not sure how boost effects the MPS or if it's necessary to use alternative injection systems. When I had a 930, which was K-jet, I placed an Andial unit on the intake which activated the cold start valve for boost cycles. Could this be done? Andial is not around any longer but would something like this work?: http://1jzmerc.com/hks-faq/accessories/hks-aic

Basically cheers on you mate for wetting our appetite but find a way to make this work economically so I can forget about the 2270. Wait a minute? Don't you have a separate thread on "engine choices"? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 17 2016, 07:22 AM
Post #234

914 Freak!

Now that I finally have room in the shop for my car I made up a work list for the next few months. This is phase 1. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 17 2016, 08:09 AM
Post #235

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 17 2016, 06:22 AM) *

Now that I finally have room in the shop for my car I made up a work list for the next few months. This is phase 1. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Everyone knows you cannot sell a turbo Type IV engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Congrats on the progress!
+Quote Post
rtalich
post Oct 17 2016, 09:13 AM
Post #236

Member No.: 6,913

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 17 2016, 07:09 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 17 2016, 06:22 AM) *

Everyone knows you cannot sell a turbo Type IV engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Congrats on the progress!

True that!!
+Quote Post
djb
post Jun 2 2018, 04:17 PM
Post #237

Member No.: 21,566

Great thread! Probably the best Turbo 914 thread on the web, thanks for documenting it.

I have a 75 914 1.8 that I am seriously considering doing a Turbo conversion. What would you say a safe level of boost and approx power a stock 1.7 or 1.8 street engine can support and be reasonably reliable without abusing it?

Im familiar with setting up and tuning stand alone FI systems, just not clear on what the stock engine will support when tuned properly/safely.

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 2 2018, 04:38 PM
Post #238

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(djb @ Jun 2 2018, 07:17 PM) *

Great thread! Probably the best Turbo 914 thread on the web, thanks for documenting it.

I have a 75 914 1.8 that I am seriously considering doing a Turbo conversion. What would you say a safe level of boost and approx power a stock 1.7 or 1.8 street engine can support and be reasonably reliable without abusing it?

Im familiar with setting up and tuning stand alone FI systems, just not clear on what the stock engine will support when tuned properly/safely.

8psi...
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jun 2 2018, 05:25 PM
Post #239

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 2 2018, 03:38 PM) *

8psi...

Good question; what determines the ultimate boost ?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 2 2018, 05:35 PM
Post #240

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 2 2018, 07:25 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 2 2018, 03:38 PM) *

8psi...

Good question; what determines the ultimate boost ?

Crank it up until it blows and then you know to go a little less.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 06:17 PM