Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which type of oil for 2.0?
Jake Raby
post Feb 18 2004, 10:12 AM
Post #21

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

The 20/50 Valavoline Full Synthetic is what I use in my Bus and I run Royal Purple in the 912E and 914(also 20/50)

I have hardly any leakage issues, even after 40K on one 45K on another and 10K (really hard miles) on the 914. Vent the crankcase really well and use good sealants. Crankcase vents keep the pressure down and from trying to squeeze the oil out by the seals..

All I can say is try it in your car- I was convinced to try it 4 years ago by a friend of mine (Shad laws) because I had always been a Kendall lover and hated synthetic...

Never went back! I dropped my oil temps by 40 degrees on my bus and was able to get rid of my external oil cooler! Now its just a stock system and my oil won't go over 210 when I'm towing my bug behind me @80!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
need4speed
post Feb 18 2004, 11:56 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 564

I've also heard the unsubstantiated folklore about synthetics leaking more, or not dissipating heat as well.

For a Type 1, with no full-flow filter, I use cheaper dinosaur oil, (20-50), because I change so frequently the increased thermal breakdown won't become an issue, and it's a tad cheaper.

If I had a 914, I'd probably take Jake's advice.
Is there a preferred grade or SAE rating for that Valvoline oil?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Feb 18 2004, 11:58 AM
Post #23

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Most of that Bullshit came from a certain Blue Book written when Amsoil was the only synthetic around....

Today I'm changing the oil in my 912E for the first time in 12,000 miles... In that amount of time it only consumed 2 quarts!

Got a track weekend this weekend (DE) so I thought I'd be a little easy on her this time and change the oil.
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Feb 18 2004, 06:38 PM
Post #24

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

So Jake... what sealants qualify as quality and where do you use them on the engine? (See previous post in this topic) I've been viewing your Type IV rebuild video, but I wonder exactly what you are using now.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 05:19 PM