Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V8 CONVERSION, ELECTRIC REMOTE WATER PUMP
914.SBC
post Dec 26 2010, 07:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,479
Region Association: None

I searched but could not find any pics:

Anyone have pics and brief description of how install a remote mount electric water pump. Also, will 40 gallons per minute be sufficient.

Thanks and hope the holiday season is going well for everyone.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 26 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

You will need the hose barb bits for the front of the block. You want the pump to push water into the block at the timing cover... 40 GPM will be fine...
Hers a pick of the font of mine. I have a mechanical pump but they connect the same...
Attached Image
The top outlet goes to the radiator via a high mount expansion chamber...
+Quote Post
streetrover
post Dec 27 2010, 08:06 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,163
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914.SBC @ Dec 26 2010, 05:32 PM) *

Anyone have pics and brief description of how install a remote mount electric water pump. Also, will 40 gallons per minute be sufficient.

I purchased a Meziere 40gpm pump for my Rover V8 conversion. It comes with a bracket that you can weld practically anywhere. The beauty of the electric pump is the flexibility of installation. I'll take a couple of pics today and show you how I mounted mine. It's in approximately the same spot as the one pictured above.
Bob
+Quote Post
jmmotorsports
post Dec 27 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,658
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I bought a Meziere 55 gpm pump for my LS1. Not much to installing one, you will have to fabricate a bracket to mount it. Other than that you can buy all the fittings needed from them. Their parts are very high quality and lots of $$$$. I don't have any photos,will take some when finished.

Jerry
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Dec 27 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(jmmotorsports @ Dec 27 2010, 06:22 AM) *

I bought a Meziere 55 gpm pump for my LS1. Not much to installing one, you will have to fabricate a bracket to mount it. Other than that you can buy all the fittings needed from them. Their parts are very high quality and lots of $$$$. I don't have any photos,will take some when finished.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,
I bought the same one only 40 gal. as it was 100 bucks cheaper. I am trying to get parts altogether so I can start fabricating and turning wrenches first of Janaury. Cant wait to see your LS1 engine. Wow...
+Quote Post
914GT
post Dec 27 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

Here's a picture of mine taken several years ago, with a Dedenbear remote pump and water manifold. Made a few modifications since then but mostly the same. An electric water pump works best mounted low in the system, and with a dedicated 12V supply line to battery or alternator to minimize voltage drop.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i216.photobucket.com-2923-1293483015.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
streetrover
post Dec 27 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 11,163

Here are the pics I promised earlier of how I mounted my Meziere. The bracket was included with the pump and I simply welded it to the engine mount.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i221.photobucket.com-11163-1293485683.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i221.photobucket.com-11163-1293485683.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i221.photobucket.com-11163-1293485684.3.jpg)

Hope this helps.
Bob
+Quote Post
jmmotorsports
post Dec 27 2010, 05:07 PM
Post #8

The guys at Meziere told me the pump will work the best mounted close to the radiator. I did not like the bracket they sent with the pump so I made an aluminum one that bolts in.

Jerry
+Quote Post
914GT
post Dec 27 2010, 05:59 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(jmmotorsports @ Dec 27 2010, 04:07 PM) *

The guys at Meziere told me the pump will work the best mounted close to the radiator. I did not like the bracket they sent with the pump so I made an aluminum one that bolts in.

Jerry

Since the coolant will pressurize more towards the back under acceleration, I figured that area would be the best place to position it on a 914 That may not be the best on a front engine car though.
+Quote Post
stewteral
post Dec 28 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #10

Old Member

Member No.: 8,424

QUOTE(914GT @ Dec 27 2010, 12:50 PM) *

Here's a picture of mine taken several years ago, with a Dedenbear remote pump and water manifold. Made a few modifications since then but mostly the same. An electric water pump works best mounted low in the system, and with a dedicated 12V supply line to battery or alternator to minimize voltage drop.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i216.photobucket.com-2923-1293483015.1.jpg)

914GT:

Are those iron drain pumbing fittings I see? Tisk, Tisk!

Terry
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 28 2010, 09:23 PM
Post #11

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(stewteral @ Dec 28 2010, 07:10 PM) *

914GT:

Terry

Better than copper in a vibration condition. Copper if used in this location will break or tear at the 90.
+Quote Post
stewteral
post Dec 28 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #12

Old Member

Member No.: 8,424

Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
QUOTE(914.SBC @ Dec 26 2010, 05:32 PM) *

Hi 914.sbc,

I built a 383 conversion car and have been running it on-track for some 5 years,
although it is still street-licensed.

I chose to tap the intake water ports in my SBC block with a 1" tap (just a little die-grinding and it was ready to go!), install 90Deg bends and then connnect directly to the output 1" nipples of the Meziere remote pump.

Even though the Aeroquip 1" 90 Degree fittings have a threaded output side, I spent some time with my die grinder and created a "nipple" end to attach the 1" hoses with a hose-clamp.

I chose the Meziere WP316 REMOTE pump with its 55 GPM capability, which matches the output of a Chevy pump at 6000 RPM. Of course the GREAT thing about electric pumps is that they pump at MAX cooling rate all the time.

Sorry I don't have pics of the pump mounted, bit it was a simple 90 degree angle bracket bolted to the firewall behind the driver. Short 1" Green Stripe hoses connect the pump the the 1" nipples in the block.

FYI: the Meziere folks are very helpful and give a 3200 hour MTBF on the pump (MTBF=mean time before failure). They also offered tp rebuild the pump for $50 including seals. Great deal!

If I can be of further help, just ask,
Terry
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 28 2010, 10:16 PM
Post #13

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(stewteral @ Dec 28 2010, 08:06 PM) *

Attached Image
I chose to tap the intake water ports in my SBC block with a 1" tap (just a little die-grinding and it was ready to go!), install 90Deg bends and then connnect directly to the output 1" nipples of the Meziere remote pump.

That's the best way I've ever seen it done! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Feb 26 2011, 05:34 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 28 2010, 08:16 PM) *

QUOTE(stewteral @ Dec 28 2010, 08:06 PM) *

Attached Image

That's the best way I've ever seen it done! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Well I have purchased the Mezziere remote mount water pump. My engine is already installed so could not install it to the side of the engine like one of the members did. It will be mounted to the side of the firewall. I have made a bracket to mount it which was fairly easy. I have the shroud all fabbed out and mounted. I will put a skin of billet aluminum over it. Also installed an electric fuel pump. I have cut out the holes in the trunk for air circulation. I still need to cut the out the bumper and modify/install a grill from a 350z like one of the members suggested.

Fittings for the water pump alone were over 100.00. I decided to go with full size radiator hose of 1 1/2 and 1 3/4. Including clamps this was 375.00...ouch. From the pictures I have seen, it does not appear that anyone has gone in that direction. The hoses seem small like 1". I have 1" from the block to the pump.

I am getting closer...hopefully this week I will have the water pump and hoses installed. I am delayed somewhat becuase I just noticed that all the electrical to the rear of the car was cut. So now I have to re-wire the damn thing. But, I am making progress. I am shooting to have the entire car road ready and running by my birthday in May.
+Quote Post
914GT
post Feb 26 2011, 07:51 PM
Post #15

Tisk, Tisk. Those 3/4" steel pipe fittings are still going strong eight years later.

QUOTE(stewteral @ Dec 28 2010, 08:10 PM) *

QUOTE(914GT @ Dec 27 2010, 12:50 PM) *

914GT:

Terry

+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Mar 2 2011, 07:17 PM
Post #16

Well I have made some good progress on the conversation:

ENGINE INSTALLED (HAS BEEN FOR A WHILE)
RADIATOR AND FAN INSTALLED AND MOUNTED
SHROUD FABBED AND INSTALLED WITH SKIN OF BILLET ALUMINUM
HOSE RAN UNDERNEATH CAR TO ENGINE BAY
ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP MOUNTED
CARPET KIT INSTALLED
CUSTOM CENTER CONSOLE FABBED AND INSTALLED
GUAGES MOUNTED (STILL NEED TO GET TACH CONVERTED TO V8)

THINGS TO DO:
MOUNT THE ELECTRIC WATER PUMP
ALL ELECTRICAL TO REAR OF CAR NEEDS TO BE RE-WIRED
FAB AND INSTALL BILLET ALUMINUM SKIN ACROSS DASH
FAB AND INSTALL FRONT GRILL
HOOK UP CLUTCH CABLE
BREAK IN THE NEW ENGINE----OH PLEASE DONT OVER HEAT

MY GOAL TO FINISH THIS PROJECT IS BY THE END OF THIS MONTH...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Mar 9 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(914.SBC @ Mar 2 2011, 05:17 PM) *

Well I have made some good progress on the conversation:

ENGINE INSTALLED (HAS BEEN FOR A WHILE)
RADIATOR AND FAN INSTALLED AND MOUNTED
SHROUD FABBED AND INSTALLED WITH SKIN OF BILLET ALUMINUM
HOSE RAN UNDERNEATH CAR TO ENGINE BAY
ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP MOUNTED
CARPET KIT INSTALLED
CUSTOM CENTER CONSOLE FABBED AND INSTALLED
GUAGES MOUNTED (STILL NEED TO GET TACH CONVERTED TO V8)

THINGS TO DO:
MOUNT THE ELECTRIC WATER PUMP
ALL ELECTRICAL TO REAR OF CAR NEEDS TO BE RE-WIRED
FAB AND INSTALL BILLET ALUMINUM SKIN ACROSS DASH
FAB AND INSTALL FRONT GRILL
HOOK UP CLUTCH CABLE
BREAK IN THE NEW ENGINE----OH PLEASE DONT OVER HEAT

MY GOAL TO FINISH THIS PROJECT IS BY THE END OF THIS MONTH...

WELL, I AM GETTING CLOSER TO COMPLETION OF THE CONVERSION LITTLE BY LITTLE. I INSTALLED 1 3/4 AND 1 1/2 RADIATOR HOSES. THEY ARE ROUTED UNDER THE CAR AND MOUTED WITH SOME BEEFY CLAMPS. THE WATER PUMP WAS A BEAR WELDING BRACKETS AND WELDING THAT TO THE FIREWALL BUT IT IS INSTALLED TOO. I MOUNTED THE ALTERNATOR WHICH WAS A NIGHTMARE GETTING THE BRACKETS IN. HAD TO MOVE THE BRAKE LINES BUT IT IS IN. JUST GOT BACK THE TACH FROM N. HOLLYWOOD SEEDO AND INSTALLED IT. MAN THEY DO A GREAT JOB RECONDITIONING IT. CLUTCH CABLE IS INSTALLED AND BILLET DASH IS INSTALED TOO.

NEXT I NEED TO RE-WIRE ALL THE WIRES TO REAR OF THE CAR. THEY WERE ALL CUT. I NEED ALTERED THE FAN SO THAT IT IS CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO THE IGNITION SO IT WILL RUN ALL THE TIME.

I AM MAKING PROGRESS AND I AM SHOOTING FOR THE END OF THE MONTH TO FIRE THIS BAD BOY U.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bobo914
post Mar 9 2011, 09:18 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 5,708

I hate to say this but I think your pump is mounted to high in the system. You need to mount it as low as possible.
+Quote Post
jmmotorsports
post Mar 9 2011, 09:35 PM
Post #19

The Meziere pumps are gravity fed and need to be mounted below the center of the radiator. They also should be in front as close to the radiator as possible.

Jerry

+Quote Post
914.SBC
post Mar 9 2011, 09:49 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(jmmotorsports @ Mar 9 2011, 07:35 PM) *

The Meziere pumps are gravity fed and need to be mounted below the center of the radiator. They also should be in front as close to the radiator as possible.

Jerry

HMM...I did in fact read that somewhere in the book I printed from this site. about mounting it low now that you mention it. You have no idea how tough it was to mount. I was happy now I am bumed. Now the delima. Why is it important to mount it lower than where I have it?

Now to Jim, I have never heard or seen anything on mounting the water pump up by the ratiator. In fact, I never even considered that although that would have made the price of the hose alot cheper. Seriously though, I have not seen anything from the board like that.

I am interested in each of your replies before tomorrow hopefully.

Thanks gents
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 05:39 PM