Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what honing
machina
post Mar 16 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

got some cylinders that need honing.

what is honing?

does it just resurface the inside of the cylinder without removing too much material?

also, what else should they check at the machine shop? measure height and match?

thanks,
dr
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 16 2004, 11:14 PM
Post #2

Aircooled Baby!

Group: Members
Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Puts that nice crosshatch pattern in the metal and it takes off alittle material so the piston to cylinder clearance is correct. If there isn't enough clearance the pistons heat up and stick inside the cylinders, not good.

Geoff
+Quote Post
smrz914
post Mar 16 2004, 11:58 PM
Post #3

Soon to be brightening the life of the person behind you.

Group: Members
Member No.: 596

Just would like to mention that the cross hatch pattern that is made is dependenent on the meterial used on the piston rings. I don't know how many rings types are available for a teener but when i rebuilt my SBC the machine shop asked me what my rings were made of.

as for what else you shoud ask for...you could ask them to match the height but it's not that crutail to a stock motor. The thing to watch out for is piston to valve clearence. you don't want the piston to hit the valve. you could have it balanced. Ask them what they would suggest and ask for a price. The stuff you get depends on the result you want from the motor.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 04:21 PM