Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How much different is the handling?, of a v8 conversion to a standard 914-4
turnaround89
post Nov 17 2009, 01:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,067
Region Association: Upper MidWest

i have been searching all night, and can't seem to come up with how much different the car will handle with the added weight etc etc...Thinking of doing a v8 conversion but if the handling of the car diminishes greatly, i won't really want to do it. Anyone want to share some info?

I know how well my 914-4 handles, but what will change with the v8?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Nov 17 2009, 07:17 AM
Post #2

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

That's an almost impossible question to answer. I have a friend who's done two SBC-914's, one nice street car, one more race/street with flares, racing slicks, etc. Since you're adding a lot of horsepower and torque you can't leave the tires, suspension and brakes stock, no matter what else you do. And once you've made significant changes to the suspension and brakes you have what is really a different car, making it almost impossible to compare. He says the V8 is like having a passenger along all the time, if that tells you anything, plus an additional 200 horsepower.

I CAN tell you that I didn't make any suspension changes with a Subaru WRX motor, though I did do a brake upgrade. No real difference in the handling, maybe the equivalent of keeping the spare tire in the trunk or taking it out. Not enough to comment. But even so I do drive the car very differently with all the extra horsepower, less momentum, more throttle and brakes. And I"m sure that's the case for anyone with a six or an eight. That also makes it very difficult to compare them to an original four cylinder car.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 17 2009, 08:27 AM
Post #3

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

The V8 will add weight to the car. And in the wrong place. It puts the roll center higher in the car. Yes it changes the handling alot. Once you add weight high in the car, add power and torque every part of the car changes. You need to add more tire for the added torque of the engine. Then the transaxle will become an issue with gearing. The 901 is not geared properly for a V8. And if you add enough torque it becomes a weak link. When you increase your tires contact patch and the tire and wheels weight of inertia, your brakes have more resistance. This means brake up grades. Lots of changes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Nov 17 2009, 08:54 AM
Post #4

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) regarding the additional weight and CG of the V8 and most of the other points already made.

And I found that there is a difference in handling just between a stock 4 and 6 cylinder 914. Enough that I prefer driving a 4 cylinder 914 over the 6. They feel lighter and more nimble. More... tossable if you will. A V8 would add even more weight and in the wrong place.

You might feel differently about it though. Opinions are like... well, everyone has one. The best way to answer this question is to get out and drive a few examples of each and see for yourself. Round up the locals and have a driving comparison. Make an event out of it. BBQ, etc...
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Nov 17 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623

All the above reasons are why I want to do a rotary. Light, high revving to match the trans, and not a lot of torque.
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Nov 17 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,138
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

When I was working for Renegade I drove a ton of both stock and V8 914s. The V8s are a total blast but you can definitely feel that big engine throwing its weight around.
I could have had a free V8 conversion kit but wanted a more nimble car so I went with the Subie. Now if you went with an LS1 that might be another story...
+Quote Post
Dr. Roger
post Nov 17 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #7

A bat out of hell.

Member No.: 3,533

LT1 Mass: 785.3 lbs (356.2 kg)
LS1 Total Dressed Engine Weight: Auto. - 457.6 lbs. (208 kg)

Relatively large difference considering the total weight of a 914.

Source: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums...lt4-weight.html

I think Gint said it. Once you stiffen your suspension, install bigger brakes, bigger rubber, and sways, the car just feels heavier... especially at the steering wheel. Which I never thought too much about until I drove a stock car.

Stock car = go cart. Properly setup V8 car = Monster in every sense of the word.

Stock car. A pleasure to drive.
V8 car. Will wear you out. Your nerves and your body.
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Nov 17 2009, 01:19 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,067

Thanks for all the input everybody...Im really questioning doing the v8 conversion, i love the way the car is now, just want more power. It seems like building up a 4 cylinder motor to the same specs as a comparable subaru motor conversion is about the same in price. I would really like to have fuel injection, maybe ill look for a subaru motor instead of snatching up my buddy's 302. Thanks everyone, i really appreciate it!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Nov 17 2009, 01:31 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623

Don't think a Ford 302 will fit anyway. It's longer than the Cheby.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Nov 17 2009, 01:57 PM
Post #10

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 17 2009, 11:31 AM) *

More work, but it's been done.
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Nov 17 2009, 02:02 PM
Post #11

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Of course, you could always keep it all-Porsche and put a 3.6 /6 in there. Plus it annoys most 911 drivers when you do that.

- Nelson
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 17 2009, 02:19 PM
Post #12

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Madswede @ Nov 17 2009, 12:02 PM) *

Of course, you could always keep it all-Porsche and put a 3.6 /6 in there. Plus it annoys most 911 drivers when you do that.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Nov 17 2009, 02:29 PM
Post #13

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Like a truck.....
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Nov 17 2009, 03:06 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 17 2009, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 17 2009, 11:31 AM) *

More work, but it's been done.

Ford was not the only company to make a 302...
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Nov 17 2009, 05:06 PM
Post #15

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 17 2009, 12:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Madswede @ Nov 17 2009, 12:02 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Andy, you drove that car with a four for a long time, didn't you? How did the handling change when you put in the six? The sixes are pretty heavy, aren't they? How does the weight compare to the four? The weight in my car hasn't changed much, if it all, but with all the extra horsepower I don't drive my car the same way. Did that happen to you too?
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Nov 17 2009, 08:00 PM
Post #16

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315

The turbo six works well also and it's really not that hard to do, i did it and i dont know anything.

My car is so stiff, has big sticky tires and goes around corners so flat, I'm sure it handles way better than my four did but my four was never set up as good. If i put a four in where the turbo six sits now it may handle better thrown into the turn but could never be the same coming out of it.

The 300+hp subies now that probably is the best of both power and weight.
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Nov 17 2009, 08:29 PM
Post #17

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 17 2009, 06:54 AM) *
And I found that there is a difference in handling just between a stock 4 and 6 cylinder 914. Enough that I prefer driving a 4 cylinder 914 over the 6. They feel lighter and more nimble. More... tossable if you will. A V8 would add even more weight and in the wrong place.

I miss my 4
+Quote Post
Bruce Hinds
post Nov 18 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #18

V-8 madness

Member No.: 7,391
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sure... the 4 is more nimble, and tossable. I got blown away on the AX by a well set up 4(pro driver too) and I didn't do much if at all better than a stock 4.....

Then there's 3rd, 4th and 5th! If you're going to AX, zip around neighborhoods and drive fairly flat highways you'll enjoy the 4. If you like driving mountain roads and want to have as much fun going up as you do going down.... go for more power.

I spent big $$ years ago on a 4 that Simms did for me in Dallas. It was estimateda at about 150HP.... what a hoot. But absolutely no torque below 3000rpm. So, I was in it all the time, spun a bearing at about 25,000 miles. I also lost my license with that car for a time which got me to thinking about all I'd spent and then heard about a new outfit called Renegade. You don't have to spend much more to do a mild v8.

I'll agree it's a different car, but what a different car it is! I haven't looked back. Why should I? There's no one in my mirror.(except maybe smokey)
+Quote Post
Phoenix-MN
post Nov 18 2009, 10:09 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,590

Any good engineers with a little time on their hands? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

It would be enlightening to calculate and see real numbers in the real change in CG of the car with a different engines. Just changing the ride heigth will affect the CG, handling, roll centers, geometry, etc.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Nov 18 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #20

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

There was a difference between my car as a 2.7L and now as a 3.6L machine. Some was weight but the biggest difference was the balance / suspension changes, and the addition of an LSD.

- I added a fuel cell and it's low in the front trunk.
- The added front oil cooler (4 qt's in the cooler and 1 qt in the lines) and and associated plumbing. all down low.
- 993 motor is much heavier than the 2.7
- Rear springs went from 180 to 200
- Rear shocks are set stiffer
- LSD or TBD and gearing make a big difference
- I still use the 914 transmission but with slightly different gearing

My roll center is still about the same best I can tell. Almost everything I do to my car is geared towards making the car safer, lighter, lower (CG) and faster.

This way I still have my kart!
Good luck
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 05:49 PM