Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: how much for a 240Z?, inspired by GRM
mightyohm
post Apr 13 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The latest Grassroots Motorsports has a neat article on the 240Z vs. the new 350Z. I only really paid attention to the 240Z part, and I was really struck by how cool of a car they are. Light (2300lb), powerful (150hp) and simple (you could fit two engines in the engine compartment).

Ok, so now I want one. How much would I expect to pay for one in good shape? Can it be a daily driver? Anyone here an early Z fan? Was AC ever an option?

Yeah I'm daydreaming, but you never know. I am looking for a car to replace my daily driver Mustang that is going on 200k miles.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
chunger
post Apr 13 2004, 01:12 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 133

I'm a Z fan. . . helped bring a 260Z almost to the point of very solid, pretty driver. . . I drove it for 2 months and absolutely loved the car. Right at the point where we had it all stripped down for a clean re-paint, the owner decided to sell. . . so what we had was the best-looking rust-o-leum rattle can paintjob I've ever seen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Light, balanced, simple, not lacking in HP. Stock brakes leave a little to be desired. . . love the inline 6's.

Seems they're a good platform for racing and for V8 conversions as well. I'd say a solid driver should be able to be had for $2,500-$5,000. Car that needs work, but running should be able to be had for $800-$2,500.

That's just my guestimate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Go for it.. . parts are often cheaper than Porsche.

Lotso Z forums out there.
+Quote Post
DuckRyder
post Apr 13 2004, 07:08 AM
Post #3

Avatars Mode: OFF because of the recalcitrant few.

Member No.: 110

Beware, this may be the only car in the world that rust faster than a 914.

Nissan will sell you body parts, but prices are outragous. (1800.00 quarter panels) Look for rust free or at least nearly so.

As always, buy the best one you can afford.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 13 2004, 07:10 AM
Post #4

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

On a quiet evening in this part of the country you can here them rust. Rare to find one rarer to find one you can drive. I had one last year. 99# rust free. light front corner damage, complete, engine turned but not running, no title. I found it sitting in a garage with 1978 plates on it. I couldn't give the car away for $ 400.00. So that's what I did. I left it at a friends house and told him to get what he could for it. I would have loved to do the car but I have too many now.
+Quote Post
Rocky
post Apr 13 2004, 07:43 AM
Post #5

From the cockpit

Member No.: 1,845

I had a 72 240Z in high school. Next to my 510 and 914 the Z is right up there for early 70's best semi affordable cars. Your in the right area, look around 4k =/-.

Tim
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Apr 13 2004, 08:01 AM
Post #6

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

I love the Z cars... I anticipate getting a 280 later down the road... but 1 project at a time... they are a load of fun!
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Apr 13 2004, 10:22 AM
Post #7

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Gotta tell my story. The new 240Z and the new 914 appeared at the same time. I bought a new 914 in June of '70. To this day I have asked myself if the Z would have been a better choice. Never even test drove one as I was locked in on a Porsche. Couldn't afford to step up to a 912 or 911. In fact I could barely afford the teener. Sold it after 8 months. The 914 was $4300 with appearance group, blaupunkt am/fm and chrome wheels. I think the Z was about $3700 base price with two more cylinders and lots of power. In those days the idea of a sports car made in Japan just didn't appeal. Everyone knew real sports cars came from Europe. Times change.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Apr 13 2004, 10:36 AM
Post #8

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Apr 13 2004, 10:22 AM)
Gotta tell my story. The new 240Z and the new 914 appeared at the same time. I bought a new 914 in June of '70. To this day I have asked myself if the Z would have been a better choice. Never even test drove one as I was locked in on a Porsche. Couldn't afford to step up to a 912 or 911. In fact I could barely afford the teener. Sold it after 8 months. The 914 was $4300 with appearance group, blaupunkt am/fm and chrome wheels. I think the Z was about $3700 base price with two more cylinders and lots of power. In those days the idea of a sports car made in Japan just didn't appeal. Everyone knew real sports cars came from Europe. Times change.

nah, you still made the right choice... they are both fun sports cars, but I think the teener has more fun in it... especially if you are like me and like driving a car you don't see every day... I see 240s and 280s daily, I rarely see another teener, and I LOOK hard for them...

I do pass the same teener 2-3 times a week on my way home from work, it's always in fromt of some rental place in Plano... I keep meaning to stop in and see if he's a board member...

that said, the Zs are cool cars too, and yes even japan can make a cool sports car... but they do crazy things like make them reliable and effceint as daily drivers... crazy concepts, I don't understand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Apr 13 2004, 11:01 AM
Post #9

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

Check It Out.............It's like this website, but with ZCars. they even have rustoration projects listed.

Z CARS (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dance.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 13 2004, 11:18 AM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

alright....fellow 510 owners (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
(okay, ex-510 owner)

Jeff, there is no reason why one could not be a daily driver.....stuff a small block Chevy in it !!!!!!

The straight six is pretty darn heavy so the balance won't be thrown off too bad.............
+Quote Post
Randal
post Apr 13 2004, 12:04 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

My girlfriend way back when (wife now) had a 240. It was simply a beautiful car. Perfectly straight, which was unusual.

It was OK performance wise, but the handling was scary. I don't think I would want to try one wtih stock suspension at Thunderhill, you'd be lucky to make it around alive.

You couldn't tell what it was going to do at high speed.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Apr 13 2004, 12:50 PM
Post #12

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

I paid $50 to have a 280 hauled away not 4 months ago. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
PatW
post Apr 13 2004, 12:59 PM
Post #13

Wassup?

Member No.: 317
Region Association: Northern California

I had my doors blown off by a 240Z many years ago.. Must of had a Turbo because it was spitting flame out of the exhaust during upshifts, or somthing. I was driving a stiff geared 70 small block Camaro. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Is the story true about why the early z-cars are so fast because Datsun bought the rights to build the engine from Mercedes-Benz? <_<

Pat
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Apr 13 2004, 01:20 PM
Post #14

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

okay, why can't WE have something like this on our homepage?

just saying...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Apr 13 2004, 01:38 PM
Post #15

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

My main competition in SCCA F/P is a 240Z.....slick tiared/300 hp mo fo. I/we have yet to beat him......cept when I had a hot dog drive the ulf. Unfortunately, the fella that runs it (a hella nice guy, but don't tellim' I said so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ) had hip replacement surgery and can't get into the thing for a while.

Come to think of it, I got him twice in the rain...which tells you something about the handling
of a 300 hp 240Z. Last year a V8 Z showed at an AX....it was hopelessly undertired. Lotta smoke & noise......kinda like a 914 V8 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

From what I've been told, vintage racing groups don't want the Z cars in. Talking to a legal vintage 914/6 racer(2.5L 6er).....he says when they come in
he gets his doors blowed off.... their hp kills.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Apr 13 2004, 02:40 PM
Post #16

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

Having owned a 240Z, 260Z and a couple 280Z's, you want a 240Z. Lighter car, better handling (what there is for handling compared to a 914).

As far as rust, both the 914 and Z will rust equally. The 914 has a poor back window design that leaks and the Z tends to leak at the A pillars. I sold my 280Z a year and half ago for $6500 (bought for $3900). It has 41,000 original miles and a paint job two years before I got it. All I did was replace all the bushings with Poly (lots of personal labor) and put new tires on her.

Parts a pretty cheap. You do not need to spend $1800 for a new quarter panel when so many quarter panels are out there in the junk yards that can be refurbished.

You should go to www.zcar.com. One of the top hangouts for Z info and tons of classifieds. I good running daily driver should be in the $4000 range.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Apr 13 2004, 06:31 PM
Post #17

2270 club

Member No.: 218

and I was really struck by how cool of a car they are. Light (2300lb), powerful (150hp) and simple

I'd rather have a 150hp engine in my 914. I drove a 280 briefly. I felt cramped in the cockpit. I prefer the spaciousness of the 914.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Apr 13 2004, 06:35 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 162

$4k is about what I was expecting. If rust is as big of a deal as on the 914, is it just as hard to find a good example? Are most of the "drivers" out there terminally rotting?

Does the price double/triple for the "nice" ones vs. the average condition? I don't know if there is such a thing as concourse cars in Z land...

If the Z was to be a daily driver I'd probably want a restored car with zero issues. Most of the ads I looked at were for rough cars that needed work. I don't need two projects! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
anthony
post Apr 13 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #19

2270 club

Member No.: 218

I just did a quick search on http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/ and they seemed to be priced like 73/74 2L 914s if not a tad higher except there seems to be more generally available. Based on those listings $6000-$12000 seems to get you a nice problem free driver. $4000-6000 gets you a decent driver that needs a little work and below $4000 you are looking at a project.
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Apr 13 2004, 07:35 PM
Post #20

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

About 6-8 years ago the Nissan dealers were trying to buy, restore and sell 1000? or so 240Z's. T

The idea was to generate floor traffic as well as offering a mintly restored 240Z with all new everythings. They were going to re-make tranny parts, fab up sheet metal, remake brakes, and rebuild the body's at several Cali restoration shops.

One of the guys at work saw one of the first ones for sale at DC- $20k or so. He was so impressed, he put down a big deposit and got on the list. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Last I heard, they couldn't find enuf rust free bodys (in Cali) to make all of them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Dave moved to Cali, and I never heard more.

Those damn things killed the 914 sales in the 70's. They were less dollar$ and more HP. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

If I was gonna buy one, one of those resto's would be nice. Seen too many rusting at the rear shock towers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

Ken
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 07:31 AM