Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> scissor lifts, how useful are they really?
r_towle
post Dec 14 2010, 02:32 PM
Post #1

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

So,

How useful are the 5-6 foot scissor lifts versus the standard 2 post lifts.?

I am about to buy a new one...they are the exact same price.
The two poster does add , well, two posts to my shop...good or bad has yet to be determined.

What are you views?

Rich
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Dec 14 2010, 02:41 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I would imagine that the scissors lift may be portable, so gives you more flexability around the shop.

One the other hand, the twin post lifts are very popular for a reason. Can't see anything that a scissor lift can do that a two post lift can't.
+Quote Post
quadracerx
post Dec 14 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,366
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Just an opinion...If I were going to buy a lift I think I would consider a 4 post with the optional wheels...drip trays and center jack...that way you could move it around the shop...outside if need be and it will allow and extra parking spot and not get drips from the car on the lift....I know I know...lots more money maybe...but youve waited this long...LOL

Good luck on whatever you decide...let us know

Steve
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 14 2010, 02:59 PM
Post #4

Custom Member

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 14 2010, 03:41 PM) *

I would imagine that the scissors lift may be portable, so gives you more flexability around the shop.

One the other hand, the twin post lifts are very popular for a reason. Can't see anything that a scissor lift can do that a two post lift can't.

Interesting...I can see that the scissor adds portability and it does not have the big huge two posts in the middle of my shop.

I have a 36 foot wide bay that I drive into the middle and fix cars.
The outer thirds are for shop tools and various car projects underway.
I keep the middle open for live projects and winter parking.

I raised the roof a while back with the anticipation of getting a lift...but then I lost my job.
Now I am back working again and a lift may be one of my xmas presents.

Rich
+Quote Post
McMark
post Dec 14 2010, 03:05 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I'll be getting a scissor lift, and not a two post because of the portability factor. I need something that I can move from place to place as necessary. The cons are that the scissor lift can block access to the floor pans, if you need to do anything with those, and the two post lift goes higher and so can give even more access as well as allowing for an additional parking space for projects.

My money goes to the scissor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Dec 14 2010, 03:13 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

I have looked around for the best option to not screw up the shop floor space in my shop. I had a 2 post in my old shop and it pretty much eliminated the bay for much of anything but lift work. I didn't like it. Loved the lift though. I have looked at the mid rise scissor lifts because on many of the cars I work on it would be perfect. Good for doing suspensions and brakes. Can lift to a good height for that. Plus with FWD and many midengine and rear engine cars the lift picks up the floor pan and leaves space under the engine bay for my lift cart. I don't like the fact that they are in the floor most of the time. Still messes up the bay sorta.
However the setup I have stumbled across looks to be the perfect solution. This is what I am wanting.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthr...;highlight=lift

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i654.photobucket.com-1169-1292361223.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i654.photobucket.com-1169-1292361223.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i654.photobucket.com-1169-1292361224.3.jpg)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 14 2010, 03:25 PM
Post #7

Custom Member

QUOTE(quadracerx @ Dec 14 2010, 03:58 PM) *

Just an opinion...If I were going to buy a lift I think I would consider a 4 post with the optional wheels...drip trays and center jack...that way you could move it around the shop...outside if need be and it will allow and extra parking spot and not get drips from the car on the lift....I know I know...lots more money maybe...but youve waited this long...LOL

Steve

type 4 or the /6 engine will not fit between the rails of a 4 post lift.
Cant use it to pull a motor.
IMHO its a fail because of that.

Mark Scala has one...pulled the motor on his back.
My friend has a single post style that once again...could not use it to pull the motor.

Rich
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 14 2010, 03:26 PM
Post #8

Custom Member

QUOTE(Brett W @ Dec 14 2010, 04:13 PM) *

I have looked around for the best option to not screw up the shop floor space in my shop. I had a 2 post in my old shop and it pretty much eliminated the bay for much of anything but lift work. I didn't like it. Loved the lift though. I have looked at the mid rise scissor lifts because on many of the cars I work on it would be perfect. Good for doing suspensions and brakes. Can lift to a good height for that. Plus with FWD and many midengine and rear engine cars the lift picks up the floor pan and leaves space under the engine bay for my lift cart. I don't like the fact that they are in the floor most of the time. Still messes up the bay sorta.
However the setup I have stumbled across looks to be the perfect solution. This is what I am wanting.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthr...;highlight=lift

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i654.photobucket.com-1169-1292361223.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i654.photobucket.com-1169-1292361223.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i654.photobucket.com-1169-1292361224.3.jpg)

Saw that one on the site...
3k for that setup...though it really does solve alot of problems.
Gotta dig and pour concrete also...which is not bad.
+Quote Post
914rat
post Dec 14 2010, 05:19 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 6,362

I have a midrize scissors style lift.My garage is 9' high and a 914 lifts almost all the way up to the ceiling.I don't care what you say or do it's sooooo much better than jackstands.As far as portability it isn't like you can pick it up and move it around.I use my engine hoist to move it.I usually just designate the back left of my 26'x36' garage as the lift area.Oh and I keep a car parked over it so if I have a few drinks I don't trip over it.It is aboslutely a must for engine drops and saves a lot of time .
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Dec 14 2010, 05:21 PM
Post #10

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 14 2010, 01:25 PM) *

QUOTE(quadracerx @ Dec 14 2010, 03:58 PM) *

Steve

type 4 or the /6 engine will not fit between the rails of a 4 post lift.
Cant use it to pull a motor.
IMHO its a fail because of that.

Mark Scala has one...pulled the motor on his back.
My friend has a single post style that once again...could not use it to pull the motor.

Rich

Rich, one of the 4-posters does have a wide enough space between the rails to pull the drivetrain, because the guy who I got my 74 parts tub from did so with his. Sorry, but I don't recall the make he has - he said it cost him about $1800 a few years back & was blue/black if that helps (I can email him if you want). There are always several makers' ads in the monthly auto mags.

I agree with the comment above about getting the wheels kit to roll it out for portability, plus the drip pan to double stack 2 cars.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Dec 14 2010, 05:28 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707

I have 2 post lift in my shop. Life is much better now. We use it all the time. Easy for pulling motors. Valve adjustments are so simple. I did a valve adjustment at Scotty's in Richmond (Thanks again Scott!). He has a scissor lift. It went well but the 2 post lift was MUCH easier. With the 2 post lift, you can walk under the car. With a scissor lift, you are still low to the floor. Ours cost 1,600 delivered. There was a crack in the floor. This required cutting a 4" square in the floor and pouring new concrete. It was sooo worth it!
+Quote Post
Steve
post Dec 14 2010, 07:39 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I have a bendpak midrise scissor lift in my garage. Couldn't be happier with it. I also wanted the portability and I didn't want to drill holes in the concrete.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 14 2010, 10:45 PM
Post #13

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Two post gets my vote, nothing beats standing up straight under a car. Plus you can park two cars in one spot.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-26-1292388353.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
sww914
post Dec 15 2010, 12:20 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

I got my 2 post used on craigslist for $700.00. It makes it's own space. You can always park 2 cars in that spot from then on, mine has a 914-6 up in the air and a real 914-6 GT parked under it tonight.
Most of the time you're only working on one end of a car so if you have something up on the lift and you need to work on another broken turd you can just pull the correct end of car #2 halfway into the stall and act normally unless you're 6'20".
Then you have other problems, like the inability to access dashes, for instance.
+Quote Post
sww914
post Dec 15 2010, 12:22 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

BTW, the 2 post installation was really easy. Epoxy a bunch of pieces of allthread in the ground and wire it up. PM me if you need details.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Dec 15 2010, 02:02 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

If your garage is 17X17 and the ceiling is only 7 feet high, the scissor lift is great. It is portable but you better bring help if you want to move it (about 1000lbs.). To get close to full travel, I have to remove the roof and align the targa bar and the windshield between the ceiling joists. (I can't do that with the Yellow Zonker because of the roll cage). I put a beach chair on a furniture dolly and I can scoot around under the car and reach most everything. I think a two post lift is about ideal though. Wish I had room.
Cheers, Elliot

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gint
post Dec 15 2010, 06:25 AM
Post #17

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

This is like a 4 vs. 6 or carb vs FI thread.

*Some* 4 post lifts don't have enough room between the rails to drop a motor on a 914 (the tin is too wide to fit between the rails). Like mine.

Some do. The more expensive lifts have movable runners. Like Ferg's.

Anyone considering such a purchase should do their homework. 4 posts are so much easier to use. Just drive up on it, lift and go to work. Depends on your intended use though, just like computer OS's and carbs vs. 6 motors.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Dec 15 2010, 06:55 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707

QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 15 2010, 07:25 AM) *

This is like a 4 vs. 6 or carb vs FI thread.

*Some* 4 post lifts don't have enough room between the rails to drop a motor on a 914 (the tin is too wide to fit between the rails). Like mine.

Some do. The more expensive lifts have movable runners. Like Ferg's.

Anyone considering such a purchase should do their homework. 4 posts are so much easier to use. Just drive up on it, lift and go to work. Depends on your intended use though, just like computer OS's and carbs vs. 6 motors.

How do you do you remove the wheels when using a 4 post? This would make brake and wheel bearing jobs difficult I think. I also think the rail would get in the way when doing valves, The scissor lift is under the car where only the floor pan is and there is not much to do there. With a 2 post, everything is accessible.
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Dec 15 2010, 07:27 AM
Post #19

The glory that once was.

Member No.: 1,438

How about some pics of the underside of a 914 on these different lifts so the unlifted among us can see how the lift fits on the car, and what things you can get at, and what things you can't.

We were thinking of building the garagemahal this spring, but plans are on hold as the city if re-doing our street, and adding sidewalks on our side of the street, and we need to see how/where that all ends up so we can check setbacks and see where a detached garage can fit on the property. I was thinking 2 post with storage for another car below. If we don't build it, I'd like to put something in our attached 2 car garage, so something scissor and possible set into the floor would be better. That garage is tight already with our "stuff" and has a low ceiling, flat roof, so the extra height is a wasted feature.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Dec 15 2010, 07:46 AM
Post #20

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315

Harder to open the doors on a 2 post.
I picked up this old service station lift for 300.00 and it has worked well for me with limited ceiling height.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 02:35 PM