Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Building my wood shop!, look for my shifterknobs maybe comming back on sale again
VaccaRabite
post Nov 22 2011, 07:31 PM
Post #1

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Years ago my grandfather willed me all his tools, though after he passed my grandmother did not want to let go of the things that reminded her of him.

My grandmother died of a broken heart 5 months later, we are now breaking up her estate and last weekend I brought back his tools. I am now doing something that I have wanted to do - built myself a wood shop!

Not all the tools are the greatest, but their meaning to me is infinite. My grandfather gave me my love of working with my hands.

I am turning the attic over my garage into my wood shop. For the past several years it has just big a big empty space full of car parts. Now I am making it functional! So far all of my building materials have been either from my scrap pile or surplus from the shed build over the summer. I have no funds right now for new materials.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm8.staticflickr.com-1435-1322011862.1.jpg)
Lathe and chisels. Many of the parting tools and scrapers are hand made from old files he had and was not using. The wall behind the lathe i NEED to seal up. The 914 and my wife's Prius live down there - and I'd rather neither of them get covered in wood chips. I am planning to start turning shifter knobs on the lathe instead of the usual eggs to practice. :-)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm8.staticflickr.com-1435-1322011863.2.jpg)
The entire wall will have shelves similar to this. I would have made more but ran out of 2x4s. Ideally, the shelves will have doors to keep the majority of the saw dust off them. right now I just want to get stuff off the floor.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm8.staticflickr.com-1435-1322011863.3.jpg)
The table saw is at least 30 years old. It currently wins as "most dangerous tool" that I own. But, man, it is USEFUL! I have never seen 3/4 inch ply cut like butter!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm8.staticflickr.com-1435-1322011864.4.jpg)
Excited about these additions too. I know he bought the drill press in 1985, and then replaced the motor with one twice as powerful in the late 90s. As far as I can remember he has always had the band saw, but he probably got it about the same time as the lathe in the 1980s.

I think that Pop-pop would love to see what I am doing with the attic, and that his old tools are going to be used to make things again. There is no better memorial to the old man then continuing to build, create and learn.

My wife has already given me projects for Christmas!

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 22 2011, 07:41 PM
Post #2

bandjoey

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Great Shop! Now invest in a HF Dust Collector. You'll be happy you did. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Nov 22 2011, 07:59 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

That is awesome! I am sure your grandpa is looking down fondly. Our legacy is important and it is great you are using your grandpa's tools instead of it going to a yard sale.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Terry
+Quote Post
Binford
post Nov 22 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,806
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sorry for your loss, Zach. But I'm glad you are able to honor your grandfather's legacy by carrying on with his tools. Enjoy the shop!
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Nov 22 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #5

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

Cool! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Woodworking is something I've always been interested in but have never taken the plunge despite already having all the tools and equipment from my own grandfather.
+Quote Post
wingnut86
post Nov 22 2011, 09:33 PM
Post #6

...boola la boo boola boo...

Member No.: 11,645

Zach,

Great legacy to pass on from you to yours as well. Agreed on the dust collector as well.

I also know your pain as wifey made me clear her spot in the garage for her Prius yesterday.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

I offered to let her use my spare car cover to keep the frost off and the Prius above 25 degrees when it gets colder - she wasn't amused
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
draganc
post Nov 22 2011, 09:39 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

I got my dad's old tools and I would never trade them for new stuff. fortunately he was a master mechanic and all the stuff is top notch.
every time i work on my car i have to think about him......
+Quote Post
championgt1
post Nov 22 2011, 10:39 PM
Post #8

Don't embarrass me Filmore!

Member No.: 7,420
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nice setup! When you start making the shift knobs again will you be able to make some for the stock shifter?

If I remember correctlly last time you made them they only fit the Rennshifter.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 23 2011, 12:00 AM
Post #9

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Nice Zach! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Nov 23 2011, 12:34 AM
Post #10

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

Dude, that is fantastic!

I can relate - now. I am named after my Great Uncle Ken, who turned 100 this year. I always hated my name growing up, until I got to know this man and understand that I was named after HIM. Back in the day, he did the fine carpentry in the old passenger cars for L&N Railroad. He is not only an incredible wood-worker, but an incredible man, the type that you strive to model your life after. Now, I could not be more proud of my name and the talent that I apparently inherited from this man through my dad.

At 100, you don't do much wood working, so my dad recently acquired a lot of his tools. Pops isn't into it much anymore, so he offered the table saw to me. It is easily 50 years old and looks like a death trap. I want it for the sentimental value, but I don't have anywhere to put it. It is killing me, because I want that saw to live on, but I can't be the curator. Luckily, I have some of his smaller planers and such that I will keep and use.

Carry the torch, my friend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
strawman
post Nov 23 2011, 12:35 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

I love it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

My grandfather was a machinist at Pearl Harbor in December 1941 when the bombs fell from the sky. He survived (obviously!) and strangely enough married a Japanese Wahini. After the war, they settled in Waikiki, where my father and uncle were born and my Gramps became a watchmaker.

Gramps loved working with his hands and accumulated a lot of tools. He taught me how to oxy-acetylene weld, to use a lathe, how to set the depth on a plunge router, and generally passed on the love of using my hands -- something that my Pops never took to.

When Parkinson's and the resulting tremors req'd him to pack up the tools about 25 years ago, he gave 'em to me. He passed about 15 years ago, but my Pops still smiles each time he sees his Pops' old tools in my garage. Although many of the power tools became worn beyond repair and have been replaced, there are a few I will cherish forever. In fact, I bought a new Dewalt chopsaw tonight, and the old gent standing behind me in line asked what I was working on; his smile and genuine interest reminded me of the Old Man.

I'll impart some Grandpa wisdom: always remember that a tool knows not the difference between meat and metal -- be careful! And enjoy the tools!!!
+Quote Post
BajaXJ92
post Nov 23 2011, 04:56 AM
Post #12

Extended Member

Member No.: 5,895

I love old tools! Count me in for a shifter knob when you start making them! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 23 2011, 06:22 AM
Post #13

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Great stuff Zach.
Get a roll of plastic, staple it up on the bottom of the rafters.
Its cheap.

Dad had a pretty large collection of tools also...
I had a real woodshop for years, but there are a few tools...the lathe he had, that still make me smile...I bought him that lathe...

I will be getting is soon.
Its great to touch a tool that someone you love once used

Rich
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Nov 23 2011, 07:47 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,428

Well done Zach!

Sorry for your loss. There is definitely something to using tools passed down from previous generations.

My Brothers and I have tools (including a WWII South Bend Lathe) passed down from our Grandfather and Father, who were both great craftsman...it brings a smile to my face each time I use them.

Bob
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Nov 23 2011, 07:51 AM
Post #15

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Nov 23 2011, 02:56 AM) *

I love old tools! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

So you've met Slits eh ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 23 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #16

En Garde!

If I make them in the 917 style for the stock shifter they will need to be an improvement over what is already on the market. I don't want to just undercut the cost of an existing product that someone else put time money and tooling into.

I know how they can be improved, but I would need to test it out first to make sure my improvement actually works.

Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 23 2011, 12:13 PM
Post #17

En Garde!

these are the knobs I was making back in 2009. They were for the Rennshifter only. I made 5, kept 1 and sold the other 4.

this was post turning but pre-finishing. (I just used several coats of natural tung oil - no epoxy or varnish.)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm4.static.flickr.com-1435-1322072000.1.jpg)

Any, yeah, they look fantastic in the car!

My immediate project is a 3x6 Thomas the train table for my son for Christmas.
Zach
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 23 2011, 11:46 PM
Post #18

En Garde!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm8.staticflickr.com-1435-1322113585.1.jpg)
Another 24 feet of shelving up, giving me 30 feet of shelves plus the 8 foot workbench.
Its all still odd cuts left over from the shed, so none of the shelves are exactly the same. I've even got bits from my old bed from high school now reused as shelving. My garage attic is slowly becoming a somewhat functional space! At this point I have more plywood but don't have any more 2x4 or 2x3 for the up-rights. So I might be done making shelves for a while.

Made the first rips on the play table for my son. Man the table saw is nice for that. Cutting 1x4 down to 1x2 so that I can build an internal frame for the top to sit into. The idea is that there will be a 1 inch lip around the table to keep the train bits contained. So, the 1x4 will go around the table, with a 3/4x2 (nominal) ledge and framework. The table is going to be very simple to build.

Also had the table saw shoot a several pound timber across the room when it bound and broke free. Its just retaining its title of "most dangerous tool."

Zach
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 24 2011, 12:08 AM
Post #19

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

What about wheel center caps?
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Nov 24 2011, 12:14 AM
Post #20

En Garde!

I don't have a metal lathe. Only a wood lathe.

Zach
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 06:36 AM