Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Has anyone bought a motor from GEX international?
danimal14
post Dec 8 2011, 10:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,871
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hello,

Has anyone had any experiance with GEX.com? I'm looking at their site and I can get one of their "POWER MASTER Series VW Engines" upgraded to 96mm pistons (2100 ish cc) with an electronic balance to my door for under $3500. Seems to be a pretty good deal.

What other options do I have? I'm not looking for maximum horsepower, but I'd like a bigger motor for torque and drivability. http://www.gex.com/16pwrmst.htm

Thanks,
Dan
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 8 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #2

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

They have a really bad rep. It costs that much to do it yourself so you know they are cutting corners.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
danimal14
post Dec 8 2011, 10:22 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 8 2011, 09:17 PM) *

They have a really bad rep. It costs that much to do it yourself so you know they are cutting corners.

Thanks for the quick reply. It seemed a little too cheep to me, so I figured they might not be a great company. Do you have any links to good engine rebuilders websites?
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Dec 8 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #4

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354
Region Association: None

Check with ShantzMD. He occaisionally post some pretty good deals.
+Quote Post
post Dec 8 2011, 11:38 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 8 2011, 08:17 PM) *

Funny .. I use to drive by their shop in Cali and see the workers use an impact gun to snug up the rod bolts.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

That was years ago.. I " hope " things have changed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 9 2011, 01:17 AM
Post #6

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Do a search here ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

And (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
somd914
post Dec 9 2011, 04:58 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 12,741

This forum and others are full of bad things about GEX. Hoffman Automotive Machine (HAM) a very respected machine shop for Type IV head work won't service heads rebuilt by GEX, so what's that tell you?

Auto Atlanta offers engine at a reasonable price, mixed opinions out there.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/service/engines.php

Original Customs has a good rep.

http://www.originalcustoms.com/engines.php

Might check with other members in your area as to any local shops who might be able to build one for you.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 9 2011, 06:26 AM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 8 2011, 11:17 PM) *

I'm not endorsing gex but the price argument is used a lot and does not make sense since they buy at wholesale or distributor price and not retail.

+Quote Post
dion9146
post Dec 9 2011, 10:24 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,071

QUOTE(somd914 @ Dec 9 2011, 05:58 AM) *

This forum and others are full of bad things about GEX. Hoffman Automotive Machine (HAM) a very respected machine shop for Type IV head work won't service heads rebuilt by GEX, so what's that tell you?

Auto Atlanta offers engine at a reasonable price, mixed opinions out there.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/service/engines.php

So your saying GEX has a worse rap than AA? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but the thread caught my eye because way back when I first got into 914s I considered an engine from GEX too, mainly because I was poor and they were cheap. That was in the days of the Porschephiles email list, and even then they didn't have a good rep. So I learned how to build my own and wouldn't ever regret that decision.
+Quote Post
somd914
post Dec 9 2011, 04:06 PM
Post #10

So your saying GEX has a worse rap than AA? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I've had no personal experience with AA, I know those who swear by them and those who swear at them!
+Quote Post
70_914
post Dec 9 2011, 04:24 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 11,096
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I always see people beating up on GEX, but everything is "I heard that..." and "This guy said...". They have a very good rating with the BBB and have been in the game since 1973. How could they be completely bad but still be around? The case I am rebuilding is a GEX and it has screw in galley plugs and seems to be put together well.

And for all the cynics- I am rebuilding it because I got the car from the junkyard, not because it is a GEX engine.
+Quote Post
mrholland2
post Dec 9 2011, 04:30 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 13,531
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(danimal14 @ Dec 8 2011, 08:08 PM) *

Hello,

Has anyone had any experiance with GEX.com? I'm looking at their site and I can get one of their "POWER MASTER Series VW Engines" upgraded to 96mm pistons (2100 ish cc) with an electronic balance to my door for under $3500. Seems to be a pretty good deal.

What other options do I have? I'm not looking for maximum horsepower, but I'd like a bigger motor for torque and drivability. http://www.gex.com/16pwrmst.htm

Thanks,
Dan

I got mine through JCS. It seems competently done, but others have said awful things about them too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
somd914
post Dec 9 2011, 04:42 PM
Post #13

As with so many services and products in life, it seems you'll always find mixed reviews; I too have gone against popular opinion at times. Hopefully those seeking advice consider all that is given and do their own research. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
a914622
post Dec 9 2011, 04:45 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 12,048
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

There are guys that have had vanagon GEX motors that last 1000 to 1500 miles and pow! broke bent or holey!

I think there is one guy that hs 10k miles before it exploded. So 1 out of 1000? pis poor ods.

jcl
+Quote Post
HAM Inc
post Dec 9 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 6,499
Region Association: None

I have seen work from both GEX and JCS over the years. I can not understate how poor the workmanship was. The only hope you have with these companies is if they happened to build your engine from a good core. They will build off any core, regardless of the condition. If you read my used T4 head policy on my website you find that I will not even consider heads stamped JCS or GEX for re-manufacture.

I bet you would be hard pressed to find a single person who has bought more than one engine from them, or anyone who has dealt with them who would deal with them again.

If you want to give your money away, give it to charity. At least you'll feel warm and fuzzy afterward and not homicidal.
+Quote Post
rhcb914
post Dec 9 2011, 07:29 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,626

Guaranteed to EXplode (GEX)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 9 2011, 08:00 PM
Post #17

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I have a '81 westy that a guy abandoned here several years ago. Blew the engine paid another shop to put in a GEX engine, started knocking just over 1000 miles. I made him pay a down payment to tear into it and quote the job, because I had that feeling...sure enough, after I told him how much it will cost I never saw him again.

Someday I've got go down to the court and start a lien on it, PITA.
+Quote Post
dion9146
post Dec 9 2011, 08:02 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,071

Well, I guess here is the way I look at things like this. I agree, everyone has good and bad experiences with these companies, or at least they say they do. The interweb is full of opinions, some good, some bad. There are engine builders with stellar reputations, and it's not hard finding them online. You will rarely if ever see something bad said about them. However, you have this other collection of vendors which have been mentioned in this thread as well as many other Porsche and VW related web boards. Why waste money on a vendor that has so many people saying bad things, when you can spend your money on the vendors that have a stellar reputation? Why even take the chance? It's not like they are the only choice....
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Dec 9 2011, 08:33 PM
Post #19

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Spend the money now, or spend more later. Either way its going to be spent. The difference is how much BS, time, lies and broken parts you will have to endure.

People pay a "stupid tax" everyday.. Thats the penalty paid for making bad decisions.

If you think a quality aircooled engine is expensive, just wait till you see how much a cheap one costs you~

I recently had a customer throw away 14,000.00 on an engine.. Yeah.. 14K.

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Dec 9 2011, 08:38 PM
+Quote Post
danimal14
post Dec 9 2011, 09:28 PM
Post #20

Thanks for the replies everyone. I love forums because they are such a great resource for this kind of information.
Well, it's looking like it might be less costly to go ahead and do a Subaru (non turbo) conversion than it would be to have an aircooled engine built the right way. Seems like an easy decision really.

Thanks again everyone,
Dan
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 09:35 AM