Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Throwout bearing Guide Tube, How do you know if it needs replacing?
mack914
post Aug 16 2004, 08:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,306

Throwout bearing is a little sloppy on the guide tube of the replacement trans that I just bought. Is the fact that there is play a reason to replace the guide tube? I will be installing a new throwout bearing. What about the guide tube?

Other ? Can I use the clutch cable that is in my 914 for the 6 conversion that I'm doing? Parts #s indicate that the clutch cable is different for the 914-6.

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jdlamonica
post Aug 16 2004, 09:01 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,542

Regarding the throw-out bearing guide tube.
Yes I would replace it. I just replaced the clutch in my 914-6. I put in a new tube but forgot to put grease on the tube for the T.O. bearing to ride on. The T.O. bearing jammed on the tube and the clutch was stuck. The only way I was able to fix the problem was to spray white grease through a tube, through the small access hole at the top of the bell housing on to the T.O. bearing tube. Otherwise I would of had to remove the transmission. It works fine now, but the tube and proper grease are very important for a smooth clutch operation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)
+Quote Post
swood
post Aug 17 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 251
Region Association: None

Is this a common replacement item on a stock 901? I've got the new bearing on with a little grease and I feel a little friction when it slides. If so, where do you get a new one?
+Quote Post
machina
post Aug 18 2004, 05:27 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

QUOTE(jdlamonica @ Aug 16 2004, 11:01 PM)
I put in a new tube but forgot to put grease on the tube for the T.O. bearing to ride on.

Did you change the tube and the TO bearing?

What lube do you like? Brad said the Mobil 1 synthetic I have is OK and that the other bits in there should not be lubed, just attracts dirt.

dr
+Quote Post
swood
post Aug 18 2004, 04:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 251
Region Association: None

Is the tube usually replaced? Source for new one? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Aug 18 2004, 05:41 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I doubt that is a normal replacement item. If it is scored then lightly sand it with some fine emory paper. Clean it off real well and apply a thin coat of grease, I used some synthetic red moly grease (disc brake grease) I had around, works good.
+Quote Post
mack914
post Aug 18 2004, 06:52 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,306

A new guide tube from Stoddard $213. Mine has alot of play in it even with the new throwout bearing. I called Parts Heaven, Jeff is going to send me one for $10 and I sure it will be better then the one I have. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 09:35 AM