Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First post , First 914-8, Saying hello
Sean_S
post Oct 21 2004, 01:55 AM
Post #1

Mine goes to "11"

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,979

Hello All !

My name is Sean and I've been lurking here for a few hours and figured I'd best register since I just purchased my first 914 V8 conversion.

I live in Coos Bay Oregon as a Los Angeles escapee.

In my former life I was a machinery dealer and thankfully this has provided me with a full machine shop (kept the cream for myself). Hopefully this will help with that trials of owning this conversion.

I also have a custom Lotus Esprit S1 and a Toyota FJ-40. I've owned and converted several FJ's to V8's so I'm comfortable with tweaking and re-tweaking. I may at some point convert the Lotus, but the engine is fresh so it will wait.

In any case, here is a photo of the 914 conversion. I haven't gotten into it yet, but basically it's a 5.0 EFI conversion...let me know what you think?

Also, I am interested in hearing from the V8 guys (and gals) about the performance of their cars and any 91(8) advice that a newbie must know.

All the Best
Sean

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/twomarbles/914/DSC00714.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sean_S
post Oct 21 2004, 02:08 AM
Post #2

Mine goes to "11"

Here's a couple more photos...the car is dusty so please forgive.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/twomarbles/914/DSC00698.jpg)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/twomarbles/914/DSC00720.jpg)
+Quote Post
JB 914
post Oct 21 2004, 02:12 AM
Post #3

Daddy! Finish my car NOW!!!

Member No.: 2,831

Welcome! Congrats on your purchase. I've got a V-8 a 2.6 and one for the glue factory! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

Keep us posted on your project

Lot's of V-8 guys here. Guess it all depends on what you want to do. Here is what i have learned with my V8:

low torque=BAD
Proper installation of Tranny mounts is quite important (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

V8 914's are scary fast and fun!
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Oct 21 2004, 02:36 AM
Post #4

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Welcome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Nice car...I even like the wing.

It looks like it's parked in your living room. Mine has seats in it too.

Nice body kit. Do you know who's it is?

Can't offer any help, I'm still building mine, but welcome.
+Quote Post
Sean_S
post Oct 21 2004, 03:05 AM
Post #5

Mine goes to "11"

Bruce,
According to the previous owner, the molds were hand made and this is the only one that exists.
I get the impression that some wind tunnel testing was done since the PO could quote lift amounts achieved by wheel well ports...etc.
Dunno if any of that is true, but the PO seems on the up and up.

Joe, thanks and I love your Sig'! Did you mean low torque = bad, meaning the cars need torque, or low-end torque = bad, meaning the transaxle grenades?

I'd have to assume the later.

Owning and having owned mid-engine sports cars as well as big diesel trucks, I'm not a fan of stroke for small sports cars but it does have its place (towing).
Just my own personal preference but it is that the only thing that should sound like a Mangusta or Pantera should be a Mangusta or Pantera (I'm talking pointy cars, not Cobras). Inline 4 cyl GSX-Rs, formula 1 cars, and sewing machines all have the sound, throttle response, redline, and (less) torque that gets me going in cars where the letters "HP" are less important than "G's".
This 914 will probably eventually recieve a crossover exhaust and 2 in - 2 out muffler. Unknown if I will opt to de-stroke it at some point and go for the titanium valve springs...etc. It has zero miles on the powerplant/drivetrain, so I'll probably wait until something blows first.

Sean
+Quote Post
Sean_S
post Oct 21 2004, 03:12 AM
Post #6

Mine goes to "11"

The rear...

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/twomarbles/914/DSC00709.jpg)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Sean
+Quote Post
joea9146
post Oct 21 2004, 04:16 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 283
Region Association: None

Welcome.... Very nice car. Great Garage... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Oct 21 2004, 04:43 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,763

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Nicest looking conversion I've ever seen. Most of them suck. Damn, your's looks great! Do you fit in the car? It looks like it's been chopped too far. Is the targa bar still functional as a roll bar, or does your head stick out above it? Can you drive it with the top on?
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Oct 21 2004, 05:40 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Hey Sean,

Welcome to 914world.com

I'm not a real big fan of body-conversion kits, but this one looks very cool!
Can you post some pics of the engine-bay and/or with the rear hood open?

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
URY914
post Oct 21 2004, 06:34 AM
Post #10

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Welcome to the club,

Show us a pic of the rear truck and engine lid open. Looks like the targa bar is one piece with the engine lid.

Also what size wheels are those? They are very deep.

I think you have one of the most radical 914 I've ever see. The body took a TON of time to make. Any idea who did it?

I can respect the work put into it.

PAul
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Oct 21 2004, 08:12 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

Wow that is cool, must have more pics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
Ferg
+Quote Post
mikerose
post Oct 21 2004, 08:17 AM
Post #12

Happy to be back

Member No.: 60

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Howard
post Oct 21 2004, 08:30 AM
Post #13

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943

Lovely! Welcome to the funny farm.
+Quote Post
skline
post Oct 21 2004, 08:43 AM
Post #14

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I guess I will chime in too, yes, Joe meant low end torque is bad, if you look at the time he posted, he was already asleep. I like the body comversion, not that many people here like it when you radically change the appearance of a 914. Then again, not everyone likes the look of a stock 914 body. I like both and can appreciate them all. It does look like someone spent a lot of time on that car. I like having a one of a kind automobile, it sets me away from the crowd. Welcome to the club and I hope some day I get to see your car in person.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 21 2004, 09:39 AM
Post #15

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Welcome to the club !! The V8 guy's are welcomed here with "open minds". I'm a big fan of the conversions and have gone round and round with "makers" of the conversion parts.

I really like the chopped Targa bar and windshield look.

B
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Oct 21 2004, 09:50 AM
Post #16

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Dood!!!!!!,

There is a car in your living room (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) Tried that once, man was my wife pissed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Welcome.That is a beautiful car. Obviously none of us have ever seen anything like it, being a one of a kind, but that is a head turner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
Clearly you know a thing or two about cars, but as a guy who got his 914-8 on the road about 4 weeks ago, I gotta say this is the funnest car I have ever driven. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) You will quickly find that even with the conversion, you will be able to find lots of input on any question you have here. Oh, and I am definitely with the others: MORE PICTURES PLEEEZ. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Oct 21 2004, 10:05 AM
Post #17

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sean welcome. Excellent looking conversion. If you get up to the Portland area give me a call and I will meet you at CAMP 914. I will show my 914-8 and other 914s, and stuff.

Craig C. Laughlin 503-799-5794
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Oct 21 2004, 10:07 AM
Post #18

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

Thought I would pop in and say hi. I don't have a v8 conv just a little ol 1.7 that I have yet to get out of the neighborhood with, but since your just across the mountains from me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif) You should get some heads turning in Coos Bay I think they are more used to seeing stuff like your Toyota FJ40 with a 4" lift of course. But I'm getting off the subject.

Very cool car, would love to check it out sometime.

Sean R (seems like there are a few Sean's around here)

PS: I have to ask, Los Angeles to Coos Bay ???
+Quote Post
Sean_S
post Oct 21 2004, 10:51 AM
Post #19

Mine goes to "11"

Thanks Everyone!

Of course it feels good to hear people say they like (or at least can tolerate) the car you just bought.

My Lotus Esprit S1 has body mod's which keep the angular look but gently smooth out the lines. It has the flavor of an S2...almost breaching the V8 look (sorry but this will only make sense to Lotus people).
Lancruiser conversions to V8 are very common (and I've done a few) but still break the hearts of hardcore keep-it-stock folks.
Point is, I'm aware of the distaste often involved in messing with the body/engine of a classic car.

Personally I'm not polarized in this regard. My criteria is that it makes the car *better* than it was going to be otherwise. I'd hate to see a super condition classic get converted, but I also hate to see a car that could get attention from someone who converts go to the junk yard instead because it really will never find a purist who is willing to invest that much money to restore *that* car. I have to say that you hear alot more purists groaning about modified cars than you see purists at the junkyard laying down cash to rescue these cars from the crusher.

For the thought on V8 owners treading lightly on this forum...I'm up for that.
For the record, I'm considering doing a V6/8 conversion on my Lotus if the engine ever dumps. The 914 guys have nowhere near the wrath of the Lotus folks in this arena...but then again, it doesn't usually cost $9+ to rebuild a 914 motor.

At least with the 914 you have the option to go Porsche-Porsche in a conversion. Buying a Lotus V8 to replace a Lotus 4 cyl' is close to impossible from almost every angle.

For me, if I were doing it, I'd probably have gone with the 911 3.0 or 3.6 conversion, but the 5.0 EFI Ford is how the car came so I'll find the positive aspects of that route and enjoy them.

Now to answer a few questions...

First, that is not my garage LOL! That is the showroom of the PO who sells aftermarket parts mostly for street racers (read "tuners") Sort of the Boyd Coddington of my town...wears plaid lumberjack shirts instead of flower print Hawaians tho' (this *is* Oregon ya know? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ) He builds/customizes/restores and he built this 914 himself ground up (and it is ground up).
Don't be too disappointed, I think you will like my "garage" almost as much. It's 8500sqft with a full machine shop. No hardwood tho' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I have not taken delivery of the car yet since it is raining and he and I are both finishing up some other projects.
Weather providing, I will have a lot more pic's and info in the next week or two.

I do know that the chop is 3" and the windscreen is moved forward and canted back to provide this...which makes for a trick in engineering the door windows to roll up. Apparently this has all been worked out. The car is in the stage where it was totally engineered, built, tested, and is now 90% reassembled after paint...owner got bored I guess.

The PO must be 6'3 and claims his head doesn't touch the top. I would tend to believe him since we now live in the same *small* town and BS comes back around pretty quick.

The Targa "bar" by the way is removeable for the complete convertable look...nicely done too, clean and not hacked.

Anyway, I really appreciate the welcome and I suppose I'll be around here pretty often, so nice to meet all of you!

Sean
+Quote Post
Sean_S
post Oct 21 2004, 11:14 AM
Post #20

Mine goes to "11"

Oh, for those who asked, this is the only engine photo I have...excuse the dust.
The engine is installed, but now needs the throttle body/computer installed, wiring (actually the whole car needs wiring), brake lines...etc.
The car is in the "final approach" stage of a ground up, so theirs lots of tedious little junk to complete.

Anyway, here's the motor photo I have...

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v500/twomarbles/914/DSC00706.jpg)

Sean
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 12:24 AM