Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What would you get?, Used car in the $4000-$6000 Range
Eric Taylor
post Nov 18 2004, 09:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 770

Alright, so I trust the advice of this board a lot, and your all a bunch of car nuts, so here is my deliemna. I've right now got a 93 audi 90. Which is to be honest a fairly nice car, when it runs right. My biggest problem is it's about to click 100K and I've already had a shit load of problems with it, and i'm sure 3 digit's will only secure my trip to something like a new clutch. The other problem is that i'm in the car almost every weekend putting on like 250 miles, and i'm a poor college kid, and premium being $2.30 a gallon, and 20 miles to the gallon just dosn't really cut it. So i'm looking to trade to something differnet that is fun to drive and economical (if that is Possiable). The car that immediatly comes to mind is a 1998-1999 Jetta wolfsburg or GT. Sorta sporty for a sedan and 30 mpg, however i'm not set on that so I thought I would ask, what do you think? Something sporty that get's good milage in this range?
Eric

P.S.
I won't drive a CIVIC. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 18 2004, 09:42 PM
Post #2

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Have you considered a rikshaw? Sporty, room for two, and you can easily find people dumb enough to pull you, if you know how to run the ad..

"Lose 100lbs... ASK ME HOW!"

As far as an economy car goes.. 914? They actually turn new every 100k..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

M
+Quote Post
Stutgart46
post Nov 18 2004, 09:45 PM
Post #3

Stutgart46

Member No.: 1,365

I'm not sure if you need a backseat or not, but Miatas are getting cheap.
If you need a backseat or a hardtop, I'd go for a GTI in that price range.
Good luck.
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Nov 18 2004, 09:47 PM
Post #4

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

I'd go with the Jetta, but I'm biased. Had a 84 Jetta GLI when I was in college, it was abot a 5 year old car when I got it and it was an awesome college car. Lots of room, big trunk, and could climb the road to Mt. Baker in the nastiest conditions. Sorry I can't recomend anything else. Plus it's in the family.
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Nov 18 2004, 09:52 PM
Post #5

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

honestly, i'd buy an old $1200 maxima or accord or something. if you want something sporty, get a CRX.

put the other 4k into the 914 to make it semi-reliable.

that represents a personal philosophy, however, and a lifestyle full of trauma, and some heartache.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 18 2004, 09:54 PM
Post #6

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

On a serious note, and only anecdotal, but I have heard a couple nightmare stories about recentish VW products, mostly service side.. I do believe.

M
+Quote Post
anthony
post Nov 18 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #7

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

I have a '94 Jetta Limited Edition. It's been a great, reliable car (135K miles) and it's easy to work on. I bought it new and fully expect to get another 5 years out of it. According to the online pricing guides, it's essentially worthless but to me it's worth a lot more as a perfectly functioning car that still has 100% reliability. Keeping a cheap daily driver also allows me to own 3 Porsches so it serves it's purpose.

If I were you I'd consider '94-99 Golf/GTI/Jettas. My highest priority would be someone who babied their car (kept it garaged, serviced it on schedule, etc). Unfortunately, lots of these cars have gotten thrashed by people that didn't keep them up so you may have to look for a while.
+Quote Post
tod914
post Nov 18 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Honda should be reliable cheap transportation. Just bought one from my friends neighbor for $50.00 1991 with 160K on it and surprisingly, it runs well, and interior is nice. Body is ok, showing wear and alittle rust. But a good beater for the winter. So, for your price range, I imagine you can find a nice one.
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Nov 18 2004, 11:41 PM
Post #9

|||

Member No.: 2,128
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I would recommend the newest Maxima you can afford. SE with a 5 speed. Quick, fun to drive, fairly roomy and gets pretty good gas mileage. Regular maintenance and it'll go almost forever. Just my $.02.
+Quote Post
skline
post Nov 18 2004, 11:48 PM
Post #10

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I would suggest a Camry 94-97 could be had cheap and they run forever. Good gas mileage and known to exceed 180k to 200k easy. I have 98 that I picked up from my ex mother in law with only 60k on then. It's fully loaded, I think the only option missing on it is the Lexus emblem. Great car.
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Nov 19 2004, 12:17 AM
Post #11

robots!

Member No.: 3,020

i work at a toyota dealer as a service writer. if i were you, i'd look at a late '90's corolla or any year 4banger 2WD pickup. those cars never really come in for repairs and you can easily put over 200K miles on either one without any problems.
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Nov 19 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #12

robots!

Member No.: 3,020

oh, and you can haul that new flat 6 in the back of the pickup... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric Taylor
post Nov 19 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 770

Hey guys thaks for the suggestions! They all sound good. I really wish the Miata was an option, but where I live weather sucks, and I hear the tops leak like a mother, and it will be parked outside, so that's out. We'll see. Anyone with 1995 Jetta and newer experience: what do you think of the 2.0 as a daily driver? Is it just a dog? I drove one and it seamed really ok, but I could see getting used to it, and feeling very slow. Who know's. Love the GTI Idea, but people want to much stinking dough for the GTI! Argh.Keep um coming guys!
Eric
+Quote Post
anthony
post Nov 19 2004, 01:01 AM
Post #14

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Why '95? '94 and above is the same. It would probably be hard to find a late 93. The 2L engine is fine for a daily driver. It goes fine if you run it through the rpm range. That engine actually has good low end torque so 0-30 is above average for the size the car and engine. It's not fast but it would beat most stock 914s in a drag race!
+Quote Post
chunger
post Nov 19 2004, 02:17 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 133

My wife has a Nissan 240SX, and it's great fun. We've spun the thing 200,000 miles now, and it's still pulling, but starting to have other issues so we went to a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Haa haa. . . we're going to pick up a used golf or GTI w/ 40-80K miles @ $2500-$4000 Not nearly as fun, but we need something that can carry stuff and have A/C. My sister had a 91 GTI 8v that she sold at 250K miles for $500. .. . that car was super reliable. She bought a 20K miles VR6 GTI to replace it and has been happy.

good luck,
'Chung
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 19 2004, 08:19 AM
Post #16

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

I bought a 96 Subaru Legacy for my daughter mainly for the AWD. I drove it a few times including in the snow and with the 2.5L engine, it goes pretty good with decent pick up and good handling. Relatively inexpensive to drive. Ours has 125K miles. Seen others with 180K and 200K miles. These things go forever. Unlike the A4 (I have an A6), won't cost an arm and a leg to keep on the road. In the snow the car is a blast. Driving it in the snow reminds me of watching the world championship rally races. Don't know what the weather is like where you're at, but if snow is a reality, consider the RU. If you want a really hot car, look for a WRX although you might need some more $$.

Spoke
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Nov 19 2004, 11:28 AM
Post #17

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

Don't know what the weather is like where you're at, but if snow is a reality, consider the RU.

If it snows where he goes to school comes to a stand still. The subby would be a great car especially if there are any trips into the Cascades. Just not as fun to drive a a VW, IMHO.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Nov 19 2004, 11:33 AM
Post #18

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have had a few Jetta's and one GTI, all nice cars. I would vote to get one of those. The GTI's are fun and have a back seat.

I also had a Miata once, nice little cars. Handle really good for a front engine car too. Mine had a hard top. With that up, it was just like driving a coupe. Plus, it got like 33mpg.

My 2 cents.
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Nov 19 2004, 11:47 AM
Post #19

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have owned 5 various Subbies over the last 20 years, and all but the 83 wagon were a blast to drive, and even the worst of the bunch was bulletproof dependable. We just got rid of an Impreza wagon because it was too tough to get all three kids in it. That car was so strong, everytime I got on it, I would have thoughts of how well that engine would fit in a 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Series9
post Nov 19 2004, 11:53 AM
Post #20

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

My daily driver: (I don't usually keep it loaded (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 01:16 AM