Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 / LS1 / 996 / boxster 6 speed, axels
drive-ability
post Feb 8 2014, 12:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,782

So using a factory 996 suspension and a 2001 or so Boxster "S" 6 speed transmission. I guess the two don't mate together from the factory but they do share parts. I am the only one I know doing this, HST what axles would I use ? Maybe a factory axle would fit ? or at least bolt / spline up on each end. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Feb 8 2014, 01:24 AM
Post #2

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

They're way different. Length...spline...etc. nothing is the same.

Your closest neighbor is the 944 iirc.
+Quote Post
yellowporky
post Feb 9 2014, 10:47 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,948
Region Association: Northern California

I would call someone like parts heaven in Hayward ca and ask if the splines on the boxster axels will work on the 996 hubs. We used 993 suspension with a boxster 5 speed and found that the stock boxster axels worked.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Feb 9 2014, 11:12 AM
Post #4

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

I thought axles would be hard to find. You are mostly talking 28 or 33 spline. 28 spline for the 930, 108mm CV and 33 spline for the 100mm CV. If you go with an EMPI style axle ($200 pair) they have 3" long splines so the overall length is somewhat forgiving since the CV will slide on the axle. You can take a 28 splinf axle and have it machined to 33 on one side to have a mix match of CV's.

Pacific Customs http://www.pacificcustoms.com/porsche-930-...moly-axles.html has a good selection of both types and will sell single axles for offset diff like the Boxster you are using. You will need one axle 3/4"-1" shorter than the other. These guys also sell a CV grease ring 7/16" thick that can be used to spade a CV out if your axle is too short.

If you end up with a severe angle on your axles (like me) you will need "Non Plunging" CV's with EMPI axles. The non plunging type can be used up to 40°.

I also have several 33 & 28 spline EMPI axles of various lengths. when you figure out a length PM me and I'll see if I have what you need.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Feb 10 2014, 06:15 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Feb 9 2014, 12:12 PM) *

Pacific Customs http://www.pacificcustoms.com/porsche-930-...moly-axles.html has a good selection of both types and will sell single axles for offset diff like the Boxster you are using. You will need one axle 3/4"-1" shorter than the other. These guys also sell a CV grease ring 7/16" thick that can be used to spade a CV out if your axle is too short.

If you end up with a severe angle on your axles (like me) you will need "Non Plunging" CV's with EMPI axles. The non plunging type can be used up to 40°.

I also have several 33 & 28 spline EMPI axles of various lengths. when you figure out a length PM me and I'll see if I have what you need.

If your using a early (2000 to 2004) Boxster S six speed transaxle the pass and driver axles are the same length. I suspect this is what you are using because this is the only one that Kennedy makes a adapter for the LS engine. The flanges on this take the larger 930 CV joint.
I don't know for sure what the 996 uses for the hubs, but I would guess that they are 930 size.

If you still have the G50 transaxle that was in your car do you want to sell it?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 07:10 AM