Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking at Boxter S, Any Boxter owners out there ?
jim_hoyland
post Jan 30 2005, 10:07 AM
Post #1

Get that VIN ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

I looked at a cherry guards red 2000 Boxter S with 20K miles yesterday. Seemed kind of pricy at $32.0K

Any boxter owners out there with comments on 2000 year models, prices, other ?

That was the first car I looked at, I'm shooting to purchase by May.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
machina
post Jan 30 2005, 10:24 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

That price is way too high for a 2000, particularly with the new 2005 boxsters out now.

They are great cars. It is a buyers market now so take your time and find a nice one with low miles.

I would definetly consider buying from a porsche store and getting a certified car. You will pay a little more but the extra 2 years warranty is worth it IMO.

Also they have to freshen the car, new tires,etc to sell it as certified.

There have been problems with the Rear Main Seal (RMS) on all 986 and 996 cars but most were in earlier cars although some later cars have the problem as well. It is a very small percentage of cars so nor really a big concern.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jan 30 2005, 12:36 PM
Post #3

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Boxsters are the new 914. Drive a S and a standard so you've got a good comparison. Also be sure to drive a Tiptronic car, it will amaze you!

If it's in the budget hold out for a S, you won't regret it. Unless of course you get a great deal on a standard and plan to upgrade it with a 996 engine.

I also agree about getting a used Porsche from a dealer. You'll get a better deal from a individual, if you are OK with the risks associated with it.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jan 30 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #4

2270 club

Member No.: 218

The other nice thing about the boxsters is that the engines and trannys are relatively cheap. I know someone who bought a low mileage S engine for $3500. There's a 14K mile 996 engine with 6spd tranny on ebay right now for $7K. That's cheap for 320hp when you think about how much it would cost to build a 320hp aircooled flat six. And there's no bids so you could probably get it cheaper.

I was thinking that one way to go would be to find a nice, cheap, higher mileage early Boxster, drive the shit out of it, and then when it needs a new engine you find a low mileage S engine or 996 engine for cheap.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jan 30 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #5

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I own a 1999 Boxster Black/Black 5 speed. I bought the car with 18000 miles one owner. After I got it home it rained for days, so it sat in the garage. First day out, BOOM motor blew. They had had problems. Dealer fixed at no charge.
What I would like is a glass rear window,2001 and newer, also heated seats,I like black , but it is really a negative because it always seems dirty. I would go with the Seal gray or Meridian silver. Two excellent colors that do not show the dirt.
The tiptronic is a good driving car, but not an easy resale car.
A low mileage car is not a plus, it just means that the things that could go wrong with it have not yet happened. Get one with a extended warranty or buy one. It definetley could pay for itself.
As far as price, look for the besr deal, don't overpay, because there are to many out ther for sale and some are going cheap. PPI is a must.
All in all I would buy another one, I love the way it drives and it has power and heat and you just feel good in one.
CCLINCMAP986
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Jan 30 2005, 01:22 PM
Post #6

914 addicted

Member No.: 1,246

Low miles, but 32K is too much. At 27K that car could be a good deal. S model is a SIGNIFICANT step up in performance. They are rockets!
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jan 30 2005, 05:39 PM
Post #7

Get that VIN ?

Thanks for advice ! I'll talk it up at the local dealer for sure.
Have also noticed a lot of boxters for sale in So Ca; looking to close in on one after the WCC.

I'm thinking of retiring the 914, it's been a great drive but it's not reliable enough as a daily driver.
+Quote Post
Stutgart46
post Jan 30 2005, 07:05 PM
Post #8

Stutgart46

Member No.: 1,365

We have had a couple of regular Boxsters and a couple of Boxster S's. The S is a huge upgrade. The HP difference is a big one but the brakes on the S are priceless. Big Breaks+Light Car=Stop Fast.
I logged quite a few miles in both cars at Sebring and the S was always 10-15MPH faster on the backstraight.
If I can give you any advice, I would suggest that you try to find a Certified car. Extend the warranty. Also, keep in mind that 2000 was the first S. You may have more luck with a 2001.
Just my $.02. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Jan 30 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #9

Tuetonic terror

Member No.: 1,019

I own a 2002 Boxster 2.7. Great engine, the sound when the vario-cam comes on at 4,000 rpm is amazing. Great brakes, telepathic steering, and like the 914 surprising amount of room inside and storage. This car will cruise at 115 all day like most cars cruise at 75mph. No trouble zipping through traffic at legal or ultra-legal speeds.

I average 21MPG and maintenance cost are low except for 30, 60, 90k service so if you look at one close to that milage be sure it has been done or expect to pay $600-$1000 at the dealer depending upon what all that car needs (less at independent shop).

Overall the car has been the most trouble free and reliable car I have ever owned. I call it my practical car.

The rear main seal issue is ongoing so a car with a warantee would be money well spent. Glass rear window on 2003 and newer might be worth it too. Tires for the optional 17 inch wheels can get pricey so you may want to stick with the 16s or 18s which seem to have become more standard and there is more available for them at various price ranges.

Be sure to check out Porsche Pete's Boxster Board:
http://www.ppbb.com/board/986board.htm

Good luck, you will love your Boxster!
+Quote Post
drew365
post Jan 30 2005, 07:54 PM
Post #10

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

No advice on buying, but I did see a brand new Boxster on the highway and the new headlights and front end are really much cleaner looking. I was very impressed.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jan 30 2005, 08:43 PM
Post #11

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Well it is very true that the Boxster is the evolution of the 914. I parked my 914 in the garage just now and plan to drive the Boxster to work tomorrow. (Sandy stole the 4Runner (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif) ) Just for giggles I decided to try the Boxster car cover on the 914. I fit, almost too well!

I agree that you should get an S model. Mine is a triple black base that I have spent $2K to make into a 225HP car. (exhaust, chip, intake, dyno tuning) I still don't have the braking that I could have had with the S.

With 70K Boxsters on the street you should be able to do better than $32K for the one your looking at.

I have an extra set of 18" Sport design II I think they are called. They came on the car and I bought an extra set of wheels to autocross with. I liked the second set so much I have never put the original wheels back on!

Martin Baker keeps telling me if I drive a 914 6 I will have to have one. I think I get an impression of what it is like to drive a 6 when I drive my Boxster. Amazing handling, great brakes, and now with the mods, lots of power.

Get an S and you will be very happy with your decision...

Rob
+Quote Post
blaize
post Jan 30 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,866

I agree with everything stated so far, Definetly get an S, they are what the boxster should have been all along. And if you can swing it extended warr. could save you. When you have the PPI done mention the crank seal, and be sure they check for that leak. Some cars get it and others don't but in my exp. once it leaks once they are alot more prone to leak again. I have seen cars go 100k without a drop and others nead a seal every 20k. really is hit or miss and doesn't seam to be related to driving habits. By all means get one though, they are a blast to drive. And frankly I enjoy them (and thier owners) alot more than the 911's.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jan 31 2005, 08:55 AM
Post #13

Get that VIN ?

Thanks again for the additional advice: I'll be focusing on an certified S type from a Porsche store with an extended warranty, 2001+, check rear main seals.

My only question is whether I can recognize a RMS problem when viewing a possible car ?
+Quote Post
machina
post Jan 31 2005, 09:00 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (jim_hoyland @ Jan 31 2005, 09:55 AM)
My only question is whether I can recognize a RMS problem when viewing a possible car ?

unless there is a pool of oil under the car then probably not.

one thing to do is ask for the service records from the dealers computer. If the seal was ever changed or the engine replaced, then you will see it there.

often when 2 or more seals did not solve the leak, porsche replaced the motor in these cars with a remanufactured one. Probably as good as new but If I had just laid out $60k for a car, I would not take a remanufactured motor.
+Quote Post
skline
post Jan 31 2005, 09:33 AM
Post #15

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17

I would love to buy the new 05 Boxster S. They say it will beat the 911's and I can see why. the performance specs on it are very impressive.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jan 31 2005, 11:03 AM
Post #16

You bought another 914?

Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

There is Boxster S in our Misc classified section Boxster S
I know nothing about this car...yada yada yada.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)

edit: Well it's in NJ I guess that wont help you.

This post has been edited by itsa914: Jan 31 2005, 11:04 AM
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Jan 31 2005, 11:15 AM
Post #17

914 addicted

Member No.: 1,246

ALthough it can be a MINEFIELD, craigslist is a good place to watch for Boxster ads. If you are bold and prepared to act quickly (not that I am advocating skipping PPI) there can be some deals had there. Pete's Boxster site is also excellent in helping to identify model year issues.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jan 31 2005, 03:04 PM
Post #18

Get that VIN ?

Stupid question: What is PPI ?
+Quote Post
machina
post Jan 31 2005, 03:06 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (jim_hoyland @ Jan 31 2005, 04:04 PM)
Stupid question: What is PPI ?

pre purchase inspection
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jan 31 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #20

Get that VIN ?

If car is purchased from dealer as certified, PPI is not needed, right ? Where should PPI's be done when the seller is a PP ? Porsche Dealer ? Is there a standard list of items included in a PPI ?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 11:46 AM