Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Differences in heat exchangers?, 1.7 vs 2.0
BillC
post May 28 2015, 08:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

What is the difference between the heat exchangers for a '73 1.7 engine and a '73 2.0 engine? Will 2.0 heat exchangers fit on a 1.7?

My "new" car (a '73 1.7) did not come with heat exchangers or any of the associated parts. So, I ordered the full kit from AutoAtlanta, since it looked like the most cost-effective way to get all the parts I need. Of course, they jacked up the price after I ordered it, and then charged me the new price (need to call them about that).

Most of the parts were delivered this afternoon. The package included 2.0 heat exchangers and it looks like they're having a 2.0 muffler drop-shipped to me. The package also included two different muffler brackets, it looks like one for a 1.7 and one for a 2.0.

Will these parts fit on a 1.7? If they do fit, will they work properly on a 1.7, and not cause problems down the road? I want to make sure these won't cause a lean condition or other problem caused by having an exhaust meant for a larger engine.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bob L.
post May 28 2015, 09:59 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,411
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sounds like you have a full set of 2.0 style. It will bolt up. You're good.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post May 28 2015, 11:08 PM
Post #3

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Not surprised that you got jacked around by AA. They have a log rep for bad service and screwing customers. If you get the right parts you will be lucky. Watch you credit card statement for duplicate charges.

The 2.0 exchangers will fit a 1.7. They have larger pipes. Different gaskets are needed at the heads and rear flanges. They use different muffler brackets.
If you paid for 2.0 exchangers they should have straight pipes out of the end. If they offset upward they are 1.7 or 1.8.

AA is rarely cost effective. Most of what they have can be sourced elsewhere at better prices. They are usually the most overpriced.

Good luck and buyer beware.

Bruce
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 28 2015, 11:39 PM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

On Jeff Bowlsby's "Tech Notebook" page (http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm) there are some images that might help you figure out what you get:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/bowlsby.net-121-1432877958.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/bowlsby.net-121-1432877958.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/bowlsby.net-121-1432877958.3.jpg)

--DD
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 29 2015, 04:08 AM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Call your credit card company if AA won't honor their price. They are known for pulling that trick.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 29 2015, 07:00 AM
Post #6

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Why they would have sold you a 1.7/1.8 muffler bracket AND one for the 2.0s is beyond me. Did the kit include all of the other heat related items? How much was the 'handling' charge addition to actual shipping?
+Quote Post
BillC
post May 29 2015, 02:47 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 18,667

So they did send me a 2.0 exhaust. Apparently, they don't have any 1.7 heat exhangers and arbitrarily decided to send the 2.0 exhaust instead. On a good note, the heat exchangers they sent me are new SSI and not used or some no-name brand (confirmed non-magnetic).

As for the muffler brackets, my guess is whoever packed the box didn't know which bracket to put in, so threw in both of them just to be sure, or just didn't care. I checked the invoice, and they only charged me for one bracket.

I inventoried everything I received against the invoice, and nearly everything is accounted for, although a couple of the used parts are pretty rough. The muffler is being drop-shipped from the manufacturer/importer and the remaining two parts were just delivered. The only problem/missing part is they sent two driver's-side heater valves, instead of one left and one right. They are supposed to be shipping a passenger's-side valve and a call-tag for the extra driver's-side valve. We'll have to see how this plays out.

I did complain about the unexpected extra cost, and the customer service rep gave me a lame song-and-dance about how I must have ordered while they were in the process of updating prices and just snuck in with the "old" price (yeah, right). However, he did say he would pass my complaint to the accountant, to see if they can do anything about it. We'll have to see how it plays out, but I still have the original email confirmation with the original price, so I can always call my credit card company.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 29 2015, 03:46 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(BillC @ May 29 2015, 04:47 PM) *

So they did send me a 2.0 exhaust. Apparently, they don't have any 1.7 heat exhangers and arbitrarily decided to send the 2.0 exhaust instead. On a good note, the heat exchangers they sent me are new SSI and not used or some no-name brand (confirmed non-magnetic).

As for the muffler brackets, my guess is whoever packed the box didn't know which bracket to put in, so threw in both of them just to be sure, or just didn't care. I checked the invoice, and they only charged me for one bracket.

I inventoried everything I received against the invoice, and nearly everything is accounted for, although a couple of the used parts are pretty rough. The muffler is being drop-shipped from the manufacturer/importer and the remaining two parts were just delivered. The only problem/missing part is they sent two driver's-side heater valves, instead of one left and one right. They are supposed to be shipping a passenger's-side valve and a call-tag for the extra driver's-side valve. We'll have to see how this plays out.

I did complain about the unexpected extra cost, and the customer service rep gave me a lame song-and-dance about how I must have ordered while they were in the process of updating prices and just snuck in with the "old" price (yeah, right). However, he did say he would pass my complaint to the accountant, to see if they can do anything about it. We'll have to see how it plays out, but I still have the original email confirmation with the original price, so I can always call my credit card company.

Like I said, AA is well known for that stunt. You authorize one charge and once they have your cc number, they charge you more. If they won't fix it, send everything to your cc company and let them fix it for you. There are only a couple employees at AA. They know what's going on. Don't let them scam you.
+Quote Post
NyDrew
post May 29 2015, 04:11 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 18,279
Region Association: South East States

Bill,

There was no stunt or malintent with this order. It really was just a computer glitch when talking about the pricing issue. You can see on your invoice how the kits cost was $1970.00, but when the kit was expanded it listed the list prices of the items instead of the kit prices. I'm assuming it was based on the timing from when the order was placed and the kit pricing was updated, given they were within the same day. I've already brought up the issues with our IT department and Accounting.

I'm incredibly sorry for this! Our accountant has already given you the credit back and it should hit your account within the next few business days, if not sooner. I've also put in the exchange replacement order already and will be including the call tag for the incorrect item.

The good thing to come from this is that you can see the massive savings our kit supplies vs the list price of all the items separately! The 2.0 heat exchangers are also a slight upgrade in power over the 1.7/1.8 so it will be a win win.

If there is anything else you need feel free to contact us and we will take care of it.

Drew,
Auto Atlanta Sales
+Quote Post
914itis
post May 29 2015, 06:43 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

AA accounting and IT department? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

It's like one of those movies ,

Exec producer : John joe
Producer : John joe
Screen writer : John joe
Script by : John joe
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 30 2015, 09:30 AM
Post #11

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Near 2k for the package? Fmtt. You should expect your order to be be perfect for that amount. Beware of added shipping charges for single, not included in the initial shipment, parts. Another well known 'stunt'. Computer glitch....too bad you didn't order ONE day earlier. BS. Quoted price when you placed your order is what you should have paid.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 02:12 PM