Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Horsepower Ratings, Net...Gross...???
Tom73
post Mar 23 2005, 09:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,792

Was wondering about the HP ratings used for the 914 engines. Are they GROSS or NET rating. I know most of the American companies changed from Gross to Net around 1972, in the middle of the 914 production. So for comparitive purposes was wondering how the engine was rated?

(did a search on this topic to see if it had been discussed before but that came up empty.)

tom...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 23 2005, 09:24 AM
Post #2

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Net HP is what matters the most... BUT the thing that most people do not realize is that the factory engine was measuerd in DIN HP the European measurement system. Here we use SAE standards and thats why there is a difference in the power we see compared to the factory power numbers that are posted, measured in DIN...

The DIN HP of a 2 liter 914 spec engine is right at 100, but the most I have ever seen SAE on my dyno from a 100% stocker is 86HP and that was with a ton of tuning to achieve..
+Quote Post
Tom73
post Mar 23 2005, 09:48 AM
Post #3

So my '71 1.7 which is rated at 80 HP would be DIN HP? Okay, did a search on the net and found that DIN and SAE Net HP are basicly the same, so close they can be interchanged. But to nail it down you can divide DIN HP (80 in this case) by 1.0139 to arrive at SAE Net HP (or 78.9 for my 1.7).

Thanks....

tom...
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 23 2005, 02:13 PM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Hmm?? I thought that DIN and SAE Net specified different testing set-ups, so you could not do a direct mathematical conversion. You can guess at it, but the actual ratings might be different.

I know that the SAE Gross ratings were a very different test indeed--no accessories running, open intake and exhaust, pretty much every "cheat" you can apply to inflate the power ratings. IIRC, the 1.7 made about 90 SAE Gross HP and the 914-6 120 SAE Gross HP.

Oh, and the US-spec 2.0 was rated at 95 DIN HP; it was the European version that was 100 DIN HP.

--DD
+Quote Post
Brando
post Mar 23 2005, 02:37 PM
Post #5

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

I thought gross HP ratings were when they bolted the engine itself right up to a brake and tested purely the engine's power rating. Net would be in a car, everything attached, rear-wheel testing?
+Quote Post
Tom73
post Mar 23 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Brando @ Mar 23 2005, 12:37 PM)
I thought gross HP ratings were when they bolted the engine itself right up to a brake and tested purely the engine's power rating. Net would be in a car, everything attached, rear-wheel testing?

Gross is at the flywheel with no accessories, no air cleaner assembly, no stock exahust manifolds/mufflers (used headers with open exhaust), no emissions, no alternator, etc etc.

Net is also at the flywheel but with all stock/standard equipment in place. Stock exhaust manifolds running through stock exhaust, stock air cleaner assembly, alternator, emission equipment, etc.

The factories do not do any HP ratings at the wheels, that is a Hot Rod/aftermarket thing. All factory ratings are at the flywheel.

tom...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 08:19 PM