Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SS brake lines, ugly surprise
shane
post Apr 10 2016, 10:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,518
Region Association: None

Replaced most of the rear brake lines with SS last year. Car spends most of its time in a garage, and never goes to the ocean. Should I have coated the ends, that's a good bit of money to be that rusty.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Apr 11 2016, 08:54 AM
Post #2

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

That's not right, they look like raw unplated steel and are going to be a problem when you take those back apart. Are they cheap no-name e-bay or something? If not I think you're due some money back from someone.

+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Apr 11 2016, 09:12 AM
Post #3

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108

That's a real safety concern. Please disclose the brand so others will feel compelled to check their own fittings if they're running the same.

Suck!
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Apr 11 2016, 11:45 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,985

Looks like you have got SS lines with steel fittings (and not very good ones at that). That's BS.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 11 2016, 01:40 PM
Post #5

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

The "lines" are stainless, the fittings are not. Pretty much BS. The different metals will create galvanic corrosion. Pretty much destined to fail. Let me guess URO?
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Apr 11 2016, 02:19 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 11 2016, 12:40 PM) *

The "lines" are stainless, the fittings are not. Pretty much BS. The different metals will create galvanic corrosion. Pretty much destined to fail. Let me guess URO?

Yep and the brake fluid makes for on helluva electrolyte
+Quote Post
6freak
post Apr 11 2016, 03:13 PM
Post #7

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

some time the cheaper price isnt the best value,,bummer,,but learn from it
MikeC
+Quote Post
mark04usa
post Apr 11 2016, 04:23 PM
Post #8

'70 1.7 Tangerine

Member No.: 10,805
Region Association: Southwest Region

URO states that these brake lines are not from them. They also claimed that Mikey914 is "a competitor of ours on some 914 products and is just trying to throw us under the bus, ...." I see that 914 vendors are as skeptical of each other as many of us are of them. These brake lines are a perfect example of WHY we have to be so careful in finding replacement parts.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Apr 11 2016, 04:53 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

You may be able to buy cad plated line nuts, cut and reflare the tubing after sliding the new nut on the line if you have enough line to do it. Just be careful with the line if you do - the stainless can be brittle if it's a cheap knockoff....
Good luck!
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Apr 11 2016, 04:55 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mark04usa @ Apr 11 2016, 03:23 PM) *

URO states that these brake lines are not from them. They also claimed that Mikey914 is "a competitor of ours on some 914 products and is just trying to throw us under the bus, ...." I see that 914 vendors are as skeptical of each other as many of us are of them. These brake lines are a perfect example of WHY we have to be so careful in finding replacement parts.

Why doesn.t the OP just tell us where he got them.

I don.t agree with the above statement.
+Quote Post
UROpartsman
post Apr 11 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 19,288

QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 11 2016, 03:55 PM) *

Hello Everyone,

Just to clarify, URO does not currently offer brake lines for the 914. We do offer period-correct reproduction 911 brake lines that are zinc plated for those doing high-end restorations, and need them to look exactly like the originals.

It's a shame when companies misrepresent their competitors products instead of simply promoting their own products.

Here's a photo of our 911 brake lines detailing the color and finish:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i67.tinypic.com-19288-1460418601.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
shane
post Apr 11 2016, 06:18 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 15,518

Hi all, at the moment I'm only 99% sure of the company. I contacted them and waiting, hopefully I'm still in there system. Out of respect I'm not blurting names, I really was just waiting for someone to tell me i spilled brake fluid on the fittings or needed to add an extra coating but one year still would be a short time for total desinagration I'm thinking?
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Apr 11 2016, 06:55 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I just looked at the two SS rear caliper lines I received from PMB but have not yet installed. The fitting on the PMB lines do not have the gold colored plating like the ones shown, they appear to be stainless as are the lines.

Were the ones you purchased pre-bent? I do not think there are many places even offering SS brake lines for the 914??
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 11 2016, 07:02 PM
Post #14

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Don't have to throw them under the bus when they are laying in the road (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
So ..... whose are they?
+Quote Post
Rand
post Apr 11 2016, 07:08 PM
Post #15

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

I saw Mikey914 ask if they were URO. I assumed that was because URO is a common supplier. If that was taken as being thrown under the bus, it raises a whole bunch of new questions. Why is URO on the defensive? Is there a history I'm not aware of about their rep?

From the OP pic, it just looks like the nut is the problem. Which raises the point of how important it is to have the right hardware to finish the job, not just stainless lines.
+Quote Post
NeunEinVier
post Apr 11 2016, 08:51 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 19,488

QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 11 2016, 08:08 PM) *

I saw Mikey914 ask if they were URO. I assumed that was because URO is a common supplier. If that was taken as being thrown under the bus, it raises a whole bunch of new questions. Why is URO on the defensive? Is there a history I'm not aware of about their rep?

Uro stepped on their dicks in a huge way when they announced a new part that competes directly with one of Mikey914's. Ever since then, Mikey spares no opportunity to badmouth Uro up, down and sideways, lol. As a running joke it was entertaining for awhile, but not exactly professional.

Kind of like our current presidential race...
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 11 2016, 08:59 PM
Post #17

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 11 2016, 06:08 PM) *
Why is URO on the defensive? Is there a history I'm not aware of about their rep?

Read up on Uro on this forum...

--DD
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 11 2016, 09:00 PM
Post #18

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Besides the fact that most URO parts are junk.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Apr 11 2016, 09:02 PM
Post #19

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(NeunEinVier @ Apr 11 2016, 07:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 11 2016, 08:08 PM) *

Uro stepped on their dicks in a huge way when they announced a new part that competes directly with one of Mikey914's. Ever since then, Mikey spares no opportunity to badmouth Uro up, down and sideways, lol. As a running joke it was entertaining for awhile, but not exactly professional.

Kind of like our current presidential race...

Mikey's been a stand up guy for as long as I've been around here. I buy parts from him when he does a run and offers it out, sometimes even when I don't need the parts. He's the only parts supplier I buy from just for the hell of it. I know he's an enthusiast.

The parts business isn't an easy one. People are bitchy. Clearly, this thread is not about being bitchy but is about a very scary part that NO ONE would want to have on their car.

And yes, we all need to know where it came from.

+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 11 2016, 09:07 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(shane @ Apr 12 2016, 12:18 PM) *

Hi all, at the moment I'm only 99% sure of the company. I contacted them and waiting, hopefully I'm still in there system. Out of respect I'm not blurting names, I really was just waiting for someone to tell me i spilled brake fluid on the fittings or needed to add an extra coating but one year still would be a short time for total desinagration I'm thinking?

Strange you don't know who they are and you have contacted them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ,these are raw steel unplated fittings period,I smell (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif) here.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 12:31 PM