Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ground strap, Replace ot not???
EJP914
post Jun 23 2017, 07:45 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 821

It doesn't look like the braided strap attached to the top of the transaxle has ever been replaced on my car. I thought about removing it, cleaning and reinstalling. Will anything bad happen if I just leave it alone, as-is? Will the car start any quicker if it is replaced? Right now it struggles, spins slowly, then will catch and fire up.
Car is '74 1.8. Thx in advance for the advice.
EJP914
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Tom
post Jun 23 2017, 07:55 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,526

I your problem is caused by the ground Strab can be proofen with a jumper Wire clamped from the Battery grount to Engine. If done so and the Car starts better, shange it, if not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .

I have the same starting issues, with the new ground strap all is fine. The change is done in 10Min. or so.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 23 2017, 08:01 AM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(914Tom @ Jun 23 2017, 09:55 AM) *

I your problem is caused by the ground Strab can be proofen with a jumper Wire clamped from the Battery grount to Engine. If done so and the Car starts better, shange it, if not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .

I have the same starting issues, with the new ground strap all is fine. The change is done in 10Min. or so.

I hope you are typing on a phone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 23 2017, 08:04 AM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Take it off, degrease it and soak it in white vinegar for a few hours, then sand the ends clean.
Take a knife and scrape the body lug and tranny contact area down to clean metal, then reinstall.

You should only need to replace it if it's broken.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jun 23 2017, 08:11 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

What is your time worth? A lot of people post questions looking for permission to cheap out. This is probably one of them. Bad grounds are the cause for a lot of small and large electrical problems.. How much is a new ground strap?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jun 23 2017, 08:22 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I think 914Tom was trying to say that you can test your ground strap by connecting a jumper cable between the negative post of the battery and your engine. If the car starts up noticeably quicker with the jumper, you need to clean or replace your strap.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jun 23 2017, 09:13 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

It's 40 years old, constantly exposed to the elements and likely full of resistance (corroded). I say replace it. Summit Racing has these for like ten bucks. I put one on and my starter immediately spun faster.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-2030...-_-taylor-cable
+Quote Post
EJP914
post Jun 23 2017, 09:50 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 821

Many thanks for the replies. It wasn't a question of cost. It's crawling under the car again. Getting too old for this.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 23 2017, 10:45 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I say clean it and test it with an ohmmeter. If it has zero resistance between the terminals, it is doing its job. Corrosion and crud at the contacts between the strap and chassis or tranny is the more likely problem. Why throw away a perfectly good part?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 23 2017, 11:31 AM
Post #10

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(EJP914 @ Jun 23 2017, 08:50 AM) *

Many thanks for the replies. It wasn't a question of cost. It's crawling under the car again. Getting too old for this.

Hi Monroeville,

Ex-Bridgeville & Dormont here (up to `63), & can empathize with crawling under cars at our age!

In addition to starter issues, that strap provides the primary ground path for the engine/transaxle, & if bad connections &/or flow at the strap &/or connections, then the power will seek the next easiest path - which usually ends up frying clutch cables. Primary symptom of that is clutch cable snapping more often than normal.

So probably a good idea to either recondition & clean-up yours as noted above, or to get a new cable (age increases resistance in copper wires, etc.).

PS - My Dad worked at Koppers there up until `63, until a new job moved us to San Diego. He was a Pitt Grad, Army Chemical Corps, & Petro-Chemist there working on plastics & coatings, including the polyurethane varnish & polyurethane paints on our cars.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jun 23 2017, 01:49 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Not really worth thinking about ,very important,cheap,easy to change.... end of story.
Made one from piece of welder earth cable,had the eyelets crimped on @ electrical shop my buddy owns,cost was $4.
Thinking about running a second one as a just in case,
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Jun 23 2017, 05:59 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 15,673

I had a poor starting experience on an outboard motor, would only crank very slowly.
The Pos cable terminal was a little corroded when I tried to clean it it came off the cable which was a very heavy gage cable. Looking at the wires, they were very green and corroded. i cut about a foot off the cable and the wires inside were still very green and corroded. Since the cable was several feet longer than needed, I cut it back several feet and finally found non-corroded cu wires, put a new connector on and problem solved. So if your car has been near oceans with salt air could be internally corroded.
+Quote Post
struckn
post Jun 23 2017, 06:39 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My '74 1.8 had a broken ground strap that was on the rear of the trans-axle that ran up to the trunk? All Ground Straps are all basically the same and in various lengths and thickness. You can get them at most Auto Parts stores. Yes replace it, grounds, or the lack of, are problems for 914s. I also have another ground wire running to the an engine/frame bolt from the battery in addition to the factory ground behind the battery going to the body. These were all there.when I bought the car and maybe over kill but someone for a good reason put them there I'm sure. When Translog rehabbed the car they left them connected and commented it was a good set up.
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post Jun 23 2017, 06:59 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 17,338

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 23 2017, 09:45 AM) *

I say clean it and test it with an ohmmeter. If it has zero resistance between the terminals, it is doing its job. Corrosion and crud at the contacts between the strap and chassis or tranny is the more likely problem. Why throw away a perfectly good part?

One good strand can give you 0 Ohms resistance. That doesn't tell you how well the ground strap is flowing current under load.

If you're already under the car with your meter, take a socket with you and change the ground strap. What kills us old guys is going under the car and climbing back up over and over. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jun 23 2017, 09:12 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 23 2017, 10:04 AM) *

Take it off, degrease it and soak it in white vinegar for a few hours, then sand the ends clean.
Take a knife and scrape the body lug and tranny contact area down to clean metal, then reinstall.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Amen
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 24 2017, 06:52 AM
Post #16

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 23 2017, 07:04 AM) *

agreed if your there do it right! and check it off the list
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jun 24 2017, 07:05 AM
Post #17

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

I got rid of my 45 year old ground strap and bought a 2gauge 18 inch ground strap at my FLAPS.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Jun 24 2017, 07:33 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 23 2017, 10:45 AM) *

FYI. An ohm meter will show zero ohms in almost any case. It will be the current carrying capacity of the conductor to be concerned about. An ohm meter won't show that. One foot or 26 gauge wire will show zero ohms and here it would burn through like a fuse.
+Quote Post
pete000
post Jun 24 2017, 09:37 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 12,094

Its and easy thing to replace and not expensive, I just put a new one on my 40+ year old car...IMHO
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 11:09 PM