Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front Targa Seal installation, This is how I did it.
defianty
post May 17 2019, 11:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,621
Region Association: None

I wasn't looking forward to installing this seal as I kept reading about soap, glycerine etc. I wondered if there was a different way.

As my original seal was in a good condition I reused it on the car.

From start to finish I had the seal installed in 20 minutes including installing new anodised gutters and done with no lubrication.

Firstly I installed the new gutters and then pushed on one corner of the seal, seating it on to the protruding part of the gutter that goes into the seal.

I then pushed the downward part of the seal into the gutter so only the inward part of the rubber was correctly seated in the gutter.

After taping up the gutter and paintwork to avoid any scratches I then took a cell phone opening tool and pushed the outer part of the seal in place.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-6621-1558114712.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-6621-1558114712.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-6621-1558114712.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.postimg.cc-6621-1558114713.4.jpg)

Here's the tool I used. I only used it as I had to it hand and it was less likely to do any damage if I slipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-piece-Repair-Kit...675.c100623.m-1

Sorry I didn't take more photos of the process. The whole process was over so quickly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I hope this helps someone out.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 17 2019, 12:03 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You had an edge using your old seal since it already was a perfect fit. I would do the same if any of mine were even usable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post May 17 2019, 12:13 PM
Post #3

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

Thanks for this as I still need to do mine.
+Quote Post
defianty
post May 17 2019, 12:25 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 17 2019, 07:03 PM) *

You had an edge using your old seal since it already was a perfect fit. I would do the same if any of mine were even usable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

That thought crossed my mind. It would be interesting if someone tried this method on a new seal.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 17 2019, 01:00 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(defianty @ May 17 2019, 02:25 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 17 2019, 07:03 PM) *

That thought crossed my mind. It would be interesting if someone tried this method on a new seal.

I'm guessing the old seal makes a difference because when we reinstall a 911 windshield and seal, it's pretty much pops back in. The rubber has taken a set to the correct space. When we use a new seal, it's a process and usually involves, pushing, massaging, working the edge, cursing, etc. Also the old Porsche seals have a factory fit, the new ones are the correct general shape but not a great fit.
+Quote Post
Specracer
post May 17 2019, 07:00 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 20,970

I too did one this week (new 914 rubber piece). After all the comments on how brutal it was, didnt know what to expect. Was non issue. Use a little glycerine started at the top of the A pillar, got the back edge and then pushed in the outside edge. I used a wider tool, a dzus fastener tool, its short and a wide blade.
+Quote Post
defianty
post May 18 2019, 01:20 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Specracer @ May 18 2019, 02:00 AM) *

I too did one this week (new 914 rubber piece). After all the comments on how brutal it was, didnt know what to expect. Was non issue. Use a little glycerine started at the top of the A pillar, got the back edge and then pushed in the outside edge. I used a wider tool, a dzus fastener tool, its short and a wide blade.

Brilliant, that's great to know this method works on new seals too. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to try and slide the seal all through the gutter.
+Quote Post
Specracer
post May 18 2019, 03:34 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 20,970

With out this forum, I would have tried to slide it (with massive frustration). The method I used, if I recall, is how 914rubber has posted, as the way they do it.

This was the tool I used, it being so short really gave good control, and the wide blade didnt want to dig into the rubber.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post May 18 2019, 04:59 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The last one I installed I did it that way as well.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 05:42 AM