Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transporting Tub on Dolly, Rental Options?
BeatNavy
post Mar 3 2020, 09:32 AM
Post #1

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So the answer to this has been surprisingly difficult for me, even after searching here.

Basically I need to move a tub, currently on a dolly on 4 casters, 2 hours from my house in VA to my new house in MD. I've got a truck with hitch. U-Haul has a 6-12 trailer with ramp, but a) not sure if that will fit the 12+ foot tub, and b) it's surprisingly difficult to find any of those available near me. Anyone moved a tub on dolly with one of those? If not, could I use one of their 15 foot enclosed trucks? But those don't really have ramps, do they?

Don't know anyone with a car carrier or a flatbed. I guess the best option would be renting a basic flatbed, but cursory googling doesn't seem to show any providers in my general area. Any tips on what brand providers or types of services for this so I can narrow the search?

TIA
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 3 2020, 10:01 AM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Hi Rob - When I picked my tub up, it was on a poorly constructed 2x4 dolly that lost a wheel in the first 4 feet, (in VA). We actually used some plywood sheets on top of the U-Haul ramp and rolled the car up the ramp into the back of the truck. Now there were 3 of us and it was not easy. I would suggest having 5 or 6 guys and with the ramp and the muscle you could probably lift it with the dolly into the rear of the truck. Now we had the largest U-Haul truck you could rent and had plenty of room in the truck for the tub and all of the parts.

When we off-loaded the tub, we had about 6 guys and we just picked it up and set it on the ground. Then Kent made a quality dolly out of 4x4's with some large caster wheels and that was the ticket to move it around. Rolled like a charm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Mar 3 2020, 10:10 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Penske Truck rental normally have flat bed trucks. I’ve rented them in the past.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 3 2020, 10:19 AM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

1 put some suspension on it
2 find a low flatbed trailer and roll it in with a dolly.
3 talk to an equipment rental place and see if you can hire them to move it.
4 find a neighbor with a forklift
5 stay away from mark’s crazy ideas.

I picked mine up, already on a tall stand, so it slid easily into a box truck. When I got home, I honestly had no idea how I was going to get it out of the truck until I approached a neighbor that I had never talked to before in 15 years of living in the neighborhood. He was over in 5 minutes with his forklift. I’m on the side of a hill, just to make things more challenging. But ask around, you never know. I’m happy to help, just ring me ahead and I’ll drive down.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
TonyA
post Mar 3 2020, 10:46 AM
Post #5

Nachmal

Member No.: 20,596
Region Association: North East States

Easton is 2.5 hours from me. From where in VA and when? I have flatbed trailer with a electric winch and electric tilt. Attached Image Not promising you but I may be available to move it for you.
+Quote Post
Bmw635
post Mar 3 2020, 10:53 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 23,943
Region Association: Southern California

Or check local Craiglist for flat bed car trailer rental for about $50/day.

https://delaware.craigslist.org/trb/d/newfi...7075184731.html
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Mar 3 2020, 10:56 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Tony has the answer for you, dolly on a car hauler. Strap down good and your off. Attached Image
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Mar 3 2020, 10:57 AM
Post #8

Tony, that's an exceptionally generous offer, thank you! My house in VA is in Sterling outside of DC. That's 3 1/2 hours from you, and a pretty long trip. Maybe I could rent it from you if I cant' find another option? I could drive up and get it from you up there potentially and make a big loop out of it. Thanks again for the offer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I called Penske - they don't seem to rent flatbeds (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I can call Mark's neighbor (whom I've never met before) and see if he wants to drive his forklift down here on the DC beltway (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . Seriously, I was thinking I may end up putting suspension back on it, but what a pain. I'd have to round it all up - some of it is in VA and some in MD.

Rob's idea of renting an enclosed truck may be the best, if I can find enough local muscle to help get it in (and then off) truck.
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 3 2020, 12:03 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Motor mounts still on ? Rear tie down point.
Has tow loop on it ? Front tie down point.
Don't forget to ratchet strap tub to dolly.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 3 2020, 05:12 PM
Post #10

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Mar 3 2020, 06:47 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

You could rent the 6 X 12 U-Haul trailer and build the rolling cart under the car so that the body is on top of the walls of the trailer. This will probably mean a trip to U-haul to take measurements and lots of straps since the load will be a little top heavy. This is what I would do. Drive slow and watch the corners.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Stuckon914
post Mar 3 2020, 08:26 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 22,747

Rent a uhaul car trailer that has a ramp and use a car to slowly pull it up the ramp. I moved a jag chassis years ago with one other person. I didnt have a dolly, I think we used 3 inch pvc with plywood on top. It’s slow but you can move a lot.
I’m in Rockville if you need a hand.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Mar 3 2020, 10:03 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Got anything to hoist with and from? Lift it off the dolly and set onto a trailer?
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Mar 3 2020, 10:21 PM
Post #14

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

1.) Buy a used trailer. (Craigslist, Auto Trader, eBay.)
2.) Use it for as long as you want.
3.) Sell it for a profit.

I have purchased 3 used trailers, used them for months/years, and easily flipped them for a profit.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Mar 4 2020, 07:24 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Use 4 x 4s to raise the dolly wheels off the surface of the trailer.
This places the dolly firmly and pevents damage to the wheels.
Don't tie down with the 914 tow loop, it's not suitable.
I've added suspension to transport it's takes an hour +/- ....pre-assemble to ensure
you have complete usable hardware.
I've also carried/slid chassis onto car a trailer. Not the worst. Requires healthy
people.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Mar 4 2020, 01:50 PM
Post #16

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Mar 3 2020, 04:47 PM) *

You could rent the 6 X 12 U-Haul trailer and build the rolling cart under the car so that the body is on top of the walls of the trailer. This will probably mean a trip to U-haul to take measurements and lots of straps since the load will be a little top heavy. This is what I would do. Drive slow and watch the corners.

I’ve moved a 914 tub with one of these, clearance is tight, but no need to raise above the rails. 2 of us and a couple of furniture dollies we’re able to lift and slide in.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Mar 4 2020, 04:34 PM
Post #17

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'm currently working with Tony to see if that will work (914Wolrd is a great place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) ), but that's a really long drive for him, so I am open to suggestions.

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Mar 4 2020, 02:50 PM) *

I’ve moved a 914 tub with one of these, clearance is tight, but no need to raise above the rails. 2 of us and a couple of furniture dollies we’re able to lift and slide in.

So, with a tub on a body dolly, you CAN fit on the 6 x 12 trailer? I don't have the exact dimensions of the dolly, but it's just slightly narrower than the body itself. Will that clear the trailer wheel fenders?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 4 2020, 04:50 PM
Post #18

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 4 2020, 05:34 PM) *

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'm currently working with Tony to see if that will work (914Wolrd is a great place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) ), but that's a really long drive for him, so I am open to suggestions.

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Mar 4 2020, 02:50 PM) *

So, with a tub on a body dolly, you CAN fit on the 6 x 12 trailer? I don't have the exact dimensions of the dolly, but it's just slightly narrower than the body itself. Will that clear the trailer wheel fenders?

We have a uhaul rental with trailers just two miles away from school. I can measure if you want.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Mar 4 2020, 04:52 PM
Post #19

That would be awesome, Mark, thanks. I gather the width of a 914 is about 65 inches. The dolly, as mentioned, is probably a couple of inches narrower.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 4 2020, 05:37 PM
Post #20

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 4 2020, 05:52 PM) *

That would be awesome, Mark, thanks. I gather the width of a 914 is about 65 inches. The dolly, as mentioned, is probably a couple of inches narrower.

I'll do it tomorrow.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 12:18 PM