Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> This shows how little I know..., Fog lights
Coy
post Mar 22 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,537

My foglights don't work. When I pull the switch it lights up telling me it's getting juice, but the lights don't come on. I replaced the fuse, but that didn't help. I asked the previous owner and he said they used to work. He suggested a relay. I looked at the schematic in my Haynes, but didn't see a relay. From this description, does anyone have any idea what's up?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Allan
post Mar 22 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #2

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

IIRC they only work when the headlights are on.

At least mine do.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Mar 22 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #3

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

that is correct.

I would try that first if you haven't although on mine the indicator light on the switch would only go on when the headlights were on and you pulled the fog switch.

Turn everything on and check with a test light or multimeter at the wire leads on the back of the fog light. If you are getting power to there then it must be the bulbs or corrosion on the bulb contacts.
+Quote Post
Mike McGrath
post Mar 22 2006, 07:33 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,225

I opened up he grills on my 1970 w/the painted bumpers the other day b/c my fog lights don't work either. Found some old hellas with orange overspray from years gone by

Two questions:

1. Was it normal to have the full grills (i.e. no holes for the fog lights) and the
lights behind them?

2. Should I bother trying to find replacement units or go with an aftermarket light set-up (ala Camp 914)?

Thanks,,

Mike (in Portland)
+Quote Post
914-8
post Mar 22 2006, 07:40 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,461
Region Association: None

The foglight relay is on the top of the fuse board. Need to unbolt it, pull it down, and you'll see it. Round, black.

Not factory to have flat grilles with the lights behind them.

CAMP's lights are nice!

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 22 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #6

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

the fog relay is shown on p128, fig9.22, item "c", of your haynes. unless the wires have been moved around on the headlight switch, the fogs will only work while the headlights are in low beam mode.

i don't know why someone would cover the lights with the full grills. the old lights clean up nicely. DO NOT RUN THE REFLECTORS THROUGH THE DISHWASHER. camp's lites are nice.

k
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 22 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #7

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

the location given in the haynes manual is not absolute. I shorted the relay that was supposed to be the fog light relay and scared the crap out of myself when the horn went off (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

Check the color of the wires in the schematics, they seem to be correst and will tell you which relay is the one. The switch is getting powe, that is why you have the switch light, but the out put of the switch needs to make it to the lights. If no fuses are popping (10) then you probably have an open, not a short. The lights have a common ground wire between them. Check it. Check to see if you are getting power to the lights.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 03:44 AM