Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prospective V8 project, convincing the father
malaga_red75
post Apr 16 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #1

'74 2.5L N/A Subie

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,674
Region Association: None

Hey guys, i need your help...
I am 16, and currently drive a 75 1.8 that i began restoring two years ago. I have decided that I have gotten that car where i want it and need a new project. After seeing all the V8 threads I really want to do a v8 conversion also. The only thing stopping me...my father. He likes the idea, but just thinks that is going to be wayyyy to much money and way too much fabrication.

SO...I need you guys to help me by telling me how much fabrication is really involved...besides cutting up the front for the radiator. Also if you guys could give me a rough estimate for money...just to get the car running...the least expensive way to do a v8 conversion. I really want to do this project, and hopefully I (we) can convince him. THanks alot...anything would help.

-Peter

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 17 2006, 12:54 AM
Post #2

neo life

Member No.: 159

Search Andyrew's thread, he did a great conversion on a tight budget...
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 17 2006, 01:22 AM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

My It'll fit thread explains it to detail.

It took a lot of convincing for my dad.. and my mom, but they trust me, and I try to keep the car together.

My suggestion. Get a 200hp v8 engine. have a stock trani with stock cv's.

Stock parts will make you want to keep it together and drive it timid.

What you want is to buy the parts used. Post a WTB.

I can do it for 1000 bucks.. but it would require a bit of molestation. (firewall)

and a LOT of fabrication. This is doing it without having a welder. With a welder you could do it pretty cheep. but a 16yo's skill I would not trust on some of the parts (I didnt myself.. )

You can tackle all the radiator stuff yourself. Primary concern is flow, no 90degree hard turns in the pipes, aluminum radiator, good shrouding, proper water pump, and good inlets and outlets for the air for radiator.

The engine is something you can buy cheep. Buy a used sbc. Something rebuilt. Craigslist is good..

Trani adapter... Cant skimp on this. I suggest a vw setup. Using a vw flywheel mated to the sbc and a vw clutch package. Stage 4 kennedy works great for me. Must get it used.. not sold new anymore.

Basically. YOU could get it done for 2k.
Yes there is fabrication, but you will learn.

READ MY THREAD.. it will show you EXACTLY what has to be done.

Andrew
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 17 2006, 06:09 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

and with the price of gas approaching $3.00 a gallon and expected to go higher, you might find some people willing to let their V8 stuff go instead of using it themselves......

+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Apr 17 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #5

neo life

Member No.: 159

QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 17 2006, 05:09 AM) *

and with the price of gas approaching $3.00 a gallon and expected to go higher, you might find some people willing to let their V8 stuff go instead of using it themselves......

Mike may be right, "914vtec 3.2" was/is selling his new Renegade V8 kit in the classifieds and opting for a lighter Honda V6...

You "could" get better mileage with a small V8, aluminum heads, and FI but then you're "budget" has to increase...
+Quote Post
marks914
post Apr 17 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,912

I built my car for $8100 including donor car, paint, wheels, engine, conversion kit, etc...

Mark

PS just installed a Renegade Hybrids Clone radiator for $275.00, will post pics later

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
malaga_red75
post Apr 17 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #7

'74 2.5L N/A Subie

WOW!!, Thats real convincing for me Mark, ur car looks amazing, i really like that color. I was thinking about the basic conversion kit from renegade, a stock 350 that my history teacher is gunna practically give to me, and i really just want to get the car running, i am thinking about picking up a running donor for around 2k. any ideas, on the cheapest way to get parts and if it is a good idea to get the renegade basic conversion?? anything helps

-Peter
+Quote Post
marks914
post Apr 17 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,912

The more complete the donor, the better. The Renegade kit is fine. I used Desert Hybrids, just the way I went.

Most of my cost was restoring the car itself, not the conversion or engine, thats why I say the better car you start with, the better the result.

Mark
+Quote Post
malaga_red75
post Apr 17 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #9

'74 2.5L N/A Subie

I know this is not even near where I am, but I am just curious, what wheels are those? And did u have to bend the fenders to fit them. And most of all, what is it like to drive it?
+Quote Post
914-8
post Apr 17 2006, 08:29 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,461

Not to be overly dramatic, but I've had Porsches since I was 16 (a few decades ago), 914s, 911s, motorcycles - but nothing is like a high hp, light 914! It makes my SCs and Carreras feel like I was walking.

Can get you into big trouble real quick, and there's not a lot there in the way of modern crash protection (airbags, 3200+ lbs of mass, etc.)

That'd be my biggest concern.
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Apr 17 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,782

QUOTE(914-8 @ Apr 17 2006, 07:29 PM) *

Not to be overly dramatic, but I've had Porsches since I was 16 (a few decades ago), 914s, 911s, motorcycles - but nothing is like a high hp, light 914! It makes my SCs and Carreras feel like I was walking.

Can get you into big trouble real quick, and there's not a lot there in the way of modern crash protection (airbags, 3200+ lbs of mass, etc.)

That'd be my biggest concern.

I have a V-8 car and for sure its a load to drive. I agree with 914-8 completely. I would suggest a Subaru conversion is better suited for a stock bodied 914. Until you drive one (V8 car) you really don't understand how it can be a bit dangerous.
+Quote Post
malaga_red75
post Apr 17 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #12

'74 2.5L N/A Subie

Thanks for the ideas guys, however, I am on a tight budget, and from my research I have found the v8 to be cheaper...unless i am missing something...what are the differences in converting....? thanks

-Peter
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 17 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Apr 17 2006, 08:11 PM) *

Thanks for the ideas guys, however, I am on a tight budget, and from my research I have found the v8 to be cheaper...unless i am missing something...what are the differences in converting....? thanks

-Peter

list your "research" findings...

the only way to get it done "cheap" is to buy used...not too many used V8 conversion pieces around...and those that are seem to incomplete or mismatched, read about the problems andrew, felix or roger had from piece parting their conversion together...how much down time can you afford to have when things don't fit or work properly?

don't let that "free" V8 engine fool you...how good is it? does it come with the carb and exhaust?

+Quote Post
dan10101
post Apr 18 2006, 01:12 AM
Post #14

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Peter,
Let me give you some advice from a Dad's point of view, (Andrew's Dad). The ONLY reason he was able to do his converion so cheap was the generosity of several people on this list. SEVERAL. I lost track. If I started naming names, I'm sure I would leave someone out. You guys are too good to him.

So realise that it may be tough to do a conversion that cheap without doing a lot of fabrication as Andrew indicated. All the places he cut corners, he's redone or will redo over again as money would allow. When he gets done with this phase (I think we're on phase III), it will be a pretty nice hot rod.

Now to the Dad part.
Insurance - is not likely to be cheap. He's insured on my 85 944 Turbo, which is the car he drives most of the time because his is welded to jackstands. Andrews is cheap, but we can't figure out why. Maybe get Howard to write your parents policy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

The only reason he convinced me is because I've always wanted a V8 914. Mom only knew it was going to be fast. All our cars are fast so that wasn't really an issue. He's been driving them for 4 years now.

My advice would be to explore the Subaru converions. You can start with a mild 4 cylinder and then work up to more HP later. Your parents will apreciate the modern 4 cylinder and you're not likely to get hassled by Parents, insurance or Police.

Last bit of advice would be to work on gathering the components and hold off on the converion until the 1.7 gives out. You may have a long wait and if you hang out at some autocrosses, you may find out why these machines are feared in stock form. You can have a lot of fun with a good running stock 914. (they aren't much fun on jackstands).

I'll repeat the earlier advice, Gas prices are going up.

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 18 2006, 01:56 AM
Post #15

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Heres a pic of mine about 6 months ago.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1119113382.jpg)
Little different now.. but still. I had about 5k total in the car at the wcc. (that look minous the wheels.. had fuchs)

When I get done now, I'll have about 10k total into the car, It will be painted, and with some tube framing, 255 tires on the FRONT 285's on the back, 350rwhp fuel injected handled reliably behind a 915 (thanks mike P!) racing seats, uber stiff suspension that allows it to handle amazingly (took it for a drive before I tore it apart for this restore.. first time I was grinning from ear to ear without using my right foot!)

I could go on... but I've put to much into this car....

If I were you. I would do EXACTLY what my dad said. Subaru is the way to go right now. 2.0L, 1.8L 2.2L 2.5L whatever, You dont need more than 120hp right now.. the engines are dirt cheap and bolt on.. to the same housing.. just put in a better engine when your ready!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 03:42 PM