Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Two New Engine Builds, Advertising On The Sly
Type 4 Unleashed
post Jun 21 2006, 02:20 AM
Post #1

CREATIVE TYPE lV ENGINEERING

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 2,231
Region Association: None

The first build, will be a 104.9 x 82 =2835cc

The crank is an DPR 2.0 jrl (1.967") I was going to to have it turned down 1.888" Honda jrls, and use the Lentz rods. Plans changed, I, am now going to use the SBC 327ci 5.7" rod. The rod mods will consist of rod caps off the 250 six cyl chevy rods, mated to the 327ci SBC rods. The big end width of the 6 cyl chevy rod is 1.030, the width of the 327 rod is .940", the width of the 2.0 rod is 1.011".
I'll start by having the side of the 327 rod welded to match the width of the six cyl cap. I'll then have the mating surface's of the cap and the rods clearanced enought to re-size the rod from 2.125" to 2.086", which is the bore dia of the Dodge bearing mod, which works on the stock 2.0 ltr jrl (1.967"), same as the dodge. The rods will be notched on the beam end so the bolts can be flipped, the bolts will be 5/16 ARP 2000. And the rod will be re-tanged also for the dodge bearing.

The case,
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jun 21 2006, 07:12 AM
Post #2

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Group: Members
Member No.: 92

If you want to sell something do it in the classifieds.
Put some pricing info. if someone wants it they will contact you.

I build my own engines also. I don't push them but if someone wants me to build one or just assemble it. they contact me.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jun 21 2006, 07:43 AM
Post #3

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

Joe...

he isnt trying to fucking sell them! he is trying to tell us about the "new" engineering going into his motor. stuff that will benefit people BUILDING these big motors!

gawd... wtf is wrong with everybody today?

the "advertising on the sly" remark is a tongue and cheek jab at brad for his last charade on richards crank and rod posts
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jun 21 2006, 08:04 AM
Post #4

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

I don't get the intent of the first post. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Jun 21 2006, 08:20 AM
Post #5

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

I'm with Aaron on this one. I don't see any peddling going on. I do see some pretty obvious sarcasm which I think is well deserved. In fact, he should have thrown in a bunch of inflamatory smilies and a great big F#*k OFF.

He's got more guts than I have. I can't imagine his machinist bill on some of these builds. I see an attempt by Richard at something new in an area where there have not been many choices. Good on him

Dave
+Quote Post
rhcb914
post Jun 21 2006, 08:21 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,626

I actually like to read about Type 4 Unleashed's out of the box thinking when it comes to engine builds. I have read some of hist posts on shoptalkforums.com as V6914 and I find them pretty informative. Keep up the good work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Jun 21 2006, 08:22 AM
Post #7

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Type 4 Unleashed @ Jun 21 2006, 01:20 AM) *

The crank is an DPR 2.0 jrl (1.967") I was going to to have it turned down 1.888" Honda jrls, and use the Lentz rods. Plans changed, I, am now going to use the SBC 327ci 5.7" rod. The rod mods will consist of rod caps off the 250 six cyl chevy rods, mated to the 327ci SBC rods. The big end width of the 6 cyl chevy rod is 1.030, the width of the 327 rod is .940", the width of the 2.0 rod is 1.011".
I'll start by having the side of the 327 rod welded to match the width of the six cyl cap. I'll then have the mating surface's of the cap and the rods clearanced enought to re-size the rod from 2.125" to 2.086", which is the bore dia of the Dodge bearing mod, which works on the stock 2.0 ltr jrl (1.967"), same as the dodge. The rods will be notched on the beam end so the bolts can be flipped, the bolts will be 5/16 ARP 2000. And the rod will be re-tanged also for the dodge bearing.

The case,

Never tryed to build a monster Type 4, how do you deal with the issues around cam clearance? There isn't a whole lot of room to work there. Now if those guys in Europe ever got the over head cam type 4 head on the market, ....
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 21 2006, 08:40 AM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jun 21 2006, 07:20 AM) *

I'm with Aaron on this one. I don't see any peddling going on. I do see some pretty obvious sarcasm which I think is well deserved. In fact, he should have thrown in a bunch of inflamatory smilies and a great big F#*k OFF.

He's got more guts than I have. I can't imagine his machinist bill on some of these builds. I see an attempt by Richard at something new in an area where there have not been many choices. Good on him

Dave

I totally agree with you Dave and Aaron...he's excited about what he is building.....let someone else spill the beans about thier 914 Type IV engine building experiance.....if Jake had posted about this build people would be kissing his @ss for more info and telling him how they'll be the 1st in line to buy it....

I have no idea what it takes to build a bigger motor and I too like his out of the box approach, hell, even if some of stuff has been done before, I didn't know about it and I'm sure others didn't. I'm sure there is something to be learned by him.

Wouldn't if be nice if someone asks about building a big Type IV and offer another choice instead of the "standard" answer of "buy from Jake"?!?!?!?
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jun 21 2006, 09:34 AM
Post #9

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Well, Build it test it post results. If you need a test mule let me know.

As far back as I can remember Never kissed Jake's ass. even during a job interview in his dyno shop.

+Quote Post
skline
post Jun 21 2006, 09:34 AM
Post #10

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17

Richard comes by all the time on his way home from the Port, yeah, we work at the same places sometimes. I get to hear all of these stories live while we sit around the garage talking. Richard has been to several events with the So Cal guys and is welcome anytime here. He has been very helpful with more than just Joe Buckles engine. I can assure you, he is not a Stromberg by any means. He even bought some parts from me and still has yet to pick them up and its been several months........Hint Hint. He has some great ideas and I consider him an asset to this forum.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jun 21 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #11

****************************************************************************************************

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 21 2006, 06:04 AM) *

I don't get the intent of the first post. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Let me attempt to clear up what was saying here. My comment was referring to his first post and what he was saying. It would have helped if he would have provided a little introduction on the intent of the engine build. He just sorta jumped into the nuts and bolts of it and sorta left us hanging on "The case," ending. The thread is titled "TWO NEW ENGINE BUILDS" and he only talks about one of them. It just wasn't clear to me as to where the thread was going.

+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jun 21 2006, 10:06 AM
Post #12

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

Type 4 - I'm trying to learn from your ideas! Sounds cool...but most of it went way over my head...learning so it's ALL GUD

How bout clearing up something - this is a type IV in a 2.0 longblock?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I know - duh!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

BTW - this board really SUCKS for advertising because you can count on mass spam from 100s of "tire kickers" and guaranteed that some "experts" will chime in on their bad day for some trash talk. Nothin personal on anyone...just a fact of life on almost all BBS...but having my on home business i also realize that all press is usually good press, even the bad, because these days it costs major $$$ to advertise in print, sponsorship, and other media. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jun 21 2006, 10:25 AM
Post #13

Professional Lawn Dart

thanks dave and mike... you guys cleared up what i was trying to say...

you would think this was a porcupine cage... with all the pricks in here
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 21 2006, 10:47 AM
Post #14

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Sorry Aaron.

I dont recall announcing ANY of my engine builds. I support people by answering their questions and making them think for themselves.

+Quote Post
URY914
post Jun 21 2006, 11:00 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 21 2006, 08:25 AM) *

thanks dave and mike... you guys cleared up what i was trying to say...

you would think this was a porcupine cage... with all the pricks in here

Gee Aaron, after reading back through this thread I guess Joe and I are the pricks here. We were they only ones that didn't give Richard a big kiss for his post. Oh well...

Paul
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jun 21 2006, 11:04 AM
Post #16

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Nope. I posted so you and Joe wouldnt feel bad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

Joe,

start posting shots of all your engine builds.

Paul,

it is time you started posting shots of your fiberglass work again.

B
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jun 21 2006, 11:30 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 21 2006, 09:04 AM) *

Paul,

it is time you started posting shots of your fiberglass work again.

B

OK, I do have some thing I've been working on. It's a f-glass Koolaid pitcher. Maybe I can make one for Aaron. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jun 21 2006, 11:31 AM
Post #18

Professional Lawn Dart

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)
+Quote Post
Type 4 Unleashed
post Jun 21 2006, 12:15 PM
Post #19

CREATIVE TYPE lV ENGINEERING

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 2,231

QUOTE(Type 4 Unleashed @ Jun 21 2006, 01:20 AM) *

The case,

Sorry for leaving this post hanging, it was late and I had to get up early.

Continued, more on the rods:

The early chevy rods are pressed fit pins, they have no oiling holes, I'll be using used nascar casidium coated pins, I, won't be using pin bushings, I'll just have the pin holes honed to .0008" pin clearance. Because of no oiling holes, and I'am not going to drill any, for pin oiling, I'am going to file a V in the bottom and top of the pin bore, like the grove that VW recommends for the side of the big end of the 2.0 rods, which is used to squirt oil up to the piston crown for cooling. I, am also gona file the grove's in the big end, like VW recommends, not only to cool the piston crown, but to provide oiling to the pin, so I'll have pin oiling coming from the oil rings, and I'll have oil come from the squirters on the big end of the rod, plus the splash from the rotating assembly, I think it will be more than enough oiling for the pins.

I, will run .012" rod side play, I will have a little extra jrl to bearing clearance, using the Dodge bearings, and I want it keeped filled with oil, because thats what the rod bearing rides on, oil not the rod jrl. And with the V mode done to the big end of the rod, the tighter side clearance, it will provide more pressure to squirt to the crown and pin.

I'll add more tonight with pics.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 21 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #20

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) back yard trash talking engine building stuff! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Really gets ya thinking... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I could do without the side bar drama boy stuff though... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif) Whiners could try to use the PM system to resolve their differences... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) But hey, this IS the garage... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 10:21 PM