Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914-6 Idle speed rises as engine warms up
kenschipper
post Jul 25 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,025
Region Association: Northern California

I have a completely stock 914-6 - weber carbs. When the engine is cold the car idles about 900 RPM. As it heats up the idle speed increases until it is idlying at about 1700 RPM when fully warmed up. It starts and runs fine. Just the high idle. Ambient temperature is currently around 85 degrees.

Since it is temperature related I'm currently thinking mabye a vacuum leak...loose manifold bolt. Any ideas on this one?

Ken Schipper
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
racerx9146
post Jul 25 2006, 10:30 PM
Post #2

good design never goes out of date..

Member No.: 1,483

mine does the same thing but more like 1400, sometimes comes down by itself. I know the advance on these car is really touchy so if your idle goes up and timing kicks in it goes up even more, its a fine line. I do wish a weber expert could comment.

John
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 25 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #3

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Do you use the fast idle handle when cold? It's that handle next to the gear shift.....

If you don't....my guess is that the idle is set to high for warm running and it needs to be turned down.....cold starts, pull up on the handle...when warm push down.

It's also a poorman's cruise control.

Triple Webers do not have an electric or manual choke....just that fast idle thingy....
+Quote Post
racerx9146
post Jul 25 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #4

yup i never use the handle, figured it aint cold enough in Sacramento, CA. But you may be on to something. I will give it a try....
thanks John
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 25 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #5

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

YOU have a conversion....unless you or the builder added it....most don't....you MAY be pulling up on the heater lever.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
grasshopper
post Jul 25 2006, 10:43 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,258

QUOTE(ZZZZZ @ Jul 25 2006, 08:36 PM) *

Do you use the fast idle handle when cold? It's that handle next to the gear shift.....

If you don't....my guess is that the idle is set to high for warm running and it needs to be turned down.....cold starts, pull up on the handle...when warm push down.

Triple Webers do not have an electric or manual choke....just that fast idle thingy....

hey Z, could you illustrate more on the "fast idle handle"?? was it just on stock sixes?? I have never heard of it being done in a six conversion. It sounds like a nice thing to install in a six conversion.
+Quote Post
racerx9146
post Jul 25 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #7

I AM aware i have a conversion (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) give me a little credit. I built myself and i added hand throttle along with every part a 6 has... i even added the vacuum switch that hold the throttle open on decel but it never worked well.
+Quote Post
kenschipper
post Jul 25 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,025

QUOTE(ZZZZZ @ Jul 25 2006, 09:36 PM) *

I have the hand throttle and it works correctly. Is there an overall idle screw or stop or do you have to adjust each carburatorm (barrel).

Ken
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jul 26 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #9

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

There's one throttle stop screw on each carb (not one on each throat). I agree with Mike that it sounds like the car is set up to idle too fast, so it idles cold without having to use your foot or the hand throttle to keep it going until it warms up some.

Also, the ignition timing may be advanced too much. It doesn't take much extra timing at all (2-3 degrees) to get the engine to tach up, which then advances the ignition even more, which causes it to tach up even more, etc. There's a fine balance point that has to be struck between using the throttle stop screws and setting idle ignition timing to get a good warm idle with carbs. Set this with the engine fully warmed up (drive it for at least 20 min, and try to get some freeway time in there), then use the hand throttle or your foot to keep it idling after a cold start.

Sacramento gets plenty cold enough to worry about cold starts. "Cold" doesn't refer so much to ambient temp, but engine temp. For something that normally runs at 190-200dF, 70dF is pretty cold. On a hot day, it doesn't take long for it to warm up after a "cold" start, often no more than 60-90 seconds, so it will idle on its own. On a cooler morning, it may take 3-4 minutes.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jul 26 2006, 07:08 AM
Post #10

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

That is also one of the typical symptoms of IDA's that have sloppy/worn throttle shafts. It creates a small vacuum leak that can change based on hot/cold temps. Jiggle the ends of your throttle plate shafts where they come out of each end of the carb body and check for play and/or change in idle.
+Quote Post
North Bay 914
post Jul 26 2006, 11:06 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,504

QUOTE(ZZZZZ @ Jul 25 2006, 09:42 PM) *

YOU have a conversion....unless you or the builder added it....most don't....you MAY be pulling up on the heater lever.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Time to change your ID again...can the CLUB choose?
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Jul 26 2006, 11:49 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

Mines the same way

I can't find a computer old enough to run the haltech softeware so I can turn the cold start feature on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 05:49 PM