Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> where is my vacuum leak, Checked all and can't find leak
jsf322
post Oct 8 2006, 07:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,220

I am starting to go out of my mind trying to find my vacuum leak. I am having a very inconsistent idle. When the car first starts it idles fine for a minutes and then begins to hunt. I have posted on this before and had some good suggestions, but have found no answer. I have replaced all vacuum lines, fuel injector seals, intake manifold seals, throttle body seal, intake runner boots, checked the intake plenum for cracks, checked the dwell and timing, and the valves have been adjusted. The only possible leaks I can find is a hissing from the air screw on the throttle body and I noticed the cold start valve gasket was not the best when I removed the valve to check the intake plenum for cracks. Could one of these be the cause? Any other ideas. This is getting very annoying.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Oct 8 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #2

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

I went through the same thing several years ago; I installed a vacuum gauge.As you test various suspected leaks, you can see if there is a change. It also may not be a vacuu,m leak--this has been covered in previous threads as infintum
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 9 2006, 06:43 AM
Post #3

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

How much is it hunting? midway between cold and hot there should be some.

After the AAR valve is warm and open the engine usually hunts alittle (+/-100) until its hot.
+Quote Post
jsf322
post Oct 9 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #4

It is hunting a lot. It will almost stall sometimes and then go up between 1000-1200RPM. THe odd thing is sometimes it will also settle in and idle rock solid around 800RPM but only if it sits. IF I drive and come to a stop it hunts again.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 9 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #5

Aircooled Baby!

QUOTE(jsf322 @ Oct 8 2006, 06:54 PM) *

I am starting to go out of my mind trying to find my vacuum leak. I am having a very inconsistent idle. When the car first starts it idles fine for a minutes and then begins to hunt. I have posted on this before and had some good suggestions, but have found no answer. I have replaced all vacuum lines, fuel injector seals, intake manifold seals, throttle body seal, intake runner boots, checked the intake plenum for cracks, checked the dwell and timing, and the valves have been adjusted. The only possible leaks I can find is a hissing from the air screw on the throttle body and I noticed the cold start valve gasket was not the best when I removed the valve to check the intake plenum for cracks. Could one of these be the cause? Any other ideas. This is getting very annoying.

Ok, then I would squirt lightly some carb cleaner around the engine until I found the leak. Gotta be somewhere in there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
jsf322
post Oct 9 2006, 10:15 AM
Post #6

I know it is somewhere, just driving me nuts, I will try the cleaner later today and see if I get any results. If it idle as nicely as it runs when driving, the car would be great.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 9 2006, 10:35 AM
Post #7

Aircooled Baby!

Spray just alittle bit on say one intake manifold sealing surface, wait....wait. Then try the seals area, wait....wait...
because if you spray alot it will fill the engine bay and raise the idle speed giving a false reading.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Oct 9 2006, 01:40 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I am suspicous of the air plenum. I had leaks in mine. You have the throttle body on top and the air cleaner. All this can lead to pressures this way and that. This could cause an intermittent leak. There is also some space under the throttle body that is hard to see. I sealed the top of mine with excessive amounts of RTV. Worked for awhile. I have put a different one on since then.
+Quote Post
sportlicherFahrer
post Oct 9 2006, 01:47 PM
Post #9

Nothing to see here.

Member No.: 3,945

Is it D or L jet? Just wondering if you have checked fuel press. or the MPS yet? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Oct 9 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #10

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

I have not tried this, but somwhere I heard that there was a way to test for leaks other than with carb cleaner. Carb cleaner supposedly is messy.

Can pressurized propane be used for the same effect, like from a portable torch? Or just air from a compressor? Would directing these at a leak site vary the idle speed too and ID the leak?
+Quote Post
markb
post Oct 9 2006, 03:09 PM
Post #11

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Have you replaced the oil filler seal?
+Quote Post
jsf322
post Oct 9 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #12

I checked the intake plenum for leaks when I removed the intake manifolds to change the gaskets I removed the plenuma nd checked it. I have also replaced the oil filler seal and rechecked it yesterday and it was fitting well. I guess I just have to start spraying the carb cleaner. Next weekend's project. Thanks for the suggestions. Sooner or later this thing will run properly. I am starting to wonder if the computer has an issue, becasue if I adjust it to the fully rich side things smooth out and then if I back it off a few clicks it runs fine for a while and then issues again. The fule pressure and MPS are fine.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 9 2006, 05:53 PM
Post #13

Aircooled Baby!

The best I have used is starting fluid...but people give me a rash of Sh*t for recommending it.

Carb cleaner works too and isn't as flame happy.

Propane scares me as its a heavy gas and quite flame happy.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Oct 9 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(jsf322 @ Oct 9 2006, 03:09 PM) *

I am starting to wonder if the computer has an issue, becasue if I adjust it to the fully rich side things smooth out and then if I back it off a few clicks it runs fine for a while and then issues again.

The adjuster is a pot. There may be clicks but it is simply a pot. Maybe it is a "noisy Pot'. Can you borrow an ECU from someone? Are you handy with a soldering Iron? Installing a new one should be easy.
+Quote Post
sportlicherFahrer
post Oct 9 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #15

Nothing to see here.

Member No.: 3,945

The clicks on the ECU should be from the case. It has notches on it. Clicks are normal. And from you talking about a knob on the ECU I am assuming you have a D-Jet car.

Also, have you checked Air fuel ratio yet? I would think if you had a vac leak, you would hear it. If your mixture is off, it would cause similar problems to what you are experiencing. Mine did the hunt thing for a little while until I richened it and made sure my timing was dead nuts on. What ECU # do you have? Do you have the correct CHT to go with it? Does it require a 270 ohm resistor like mine? I have a '73 2.0 with the correct computer/mps/cht and it requires a resistor. Just a thought.
+Quote Post
joeav8tor
post Oct 10 2006, 11:52 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 3,493

mine does the same thing and I have replaced all of the items that you mentioned, I have a 73 2.0 with D jet...I have not begun to dig into the idle issue, I did buy a new set of wires to see if that would cure the problem...my car starts up nicely, the car idles down when warmed up...then will hunt from 800 rpm to 400 rpm, then bounce back and forth...then occasionally when stopped it will be rock steady on 800 rpm...I am hoping the wires will cure this problem.
Joe
+Quote Post
jsf322
post Oct 10 2006, 08:13 PM
Post #17

I would hope that new wires help you, but I will tell you I have new wires, plugs and points in mine as well and still issues. I am sure I have a leak somewhere. I just need to find it.
+Quote Post
sweathappens
post Apr 1 2007, 08:10 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 5,636

I am having a high idle problem. I want to seal the injectors and the intake manifold gasket. Has anyone used RTV Blue to seal the gaskets around the injector ends and the intake manifold gaskets? I can hear a small leak at the injectors so I think that is where the problem is.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Apr 1 2007, 09:24 PM
Post #19

Aircooled Baby!

No, I just use new O rings and gaskets as they are dirt cheap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 04:20 AM