Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel injection guru's...a couple ?'s
biosurfer1
post Dec 1 2006, 03:48 PM
Post #1

Teener fo Life!

Group: Members
Member No.: 977
Region Association: Northern California

I tried asking this in another thread but it was an OT question there and didnt get much advice, so I thought I'd try here...

anyways, I was wondering wha part and how does the stock FI hold pressure in the fuel lines when the car is sitting so there is fuel immediatly when started?

I recently fixed my AAR and its working good now and hoped it would solve this other problem but no luck. It seems when the car is cold and has been sitting a while, it takes several cranks to get it going, like these isnt enough gas getting to the engine. After the 3-4th try the car starts and run normally, with the AAR open and slowly closes(as it should). I had a very similar problem in my 911 and there was a part (warm up regulator) that served this prupose and had the same symptoms with it wasnt working correctly. Does the 914 have a part like this, does the fuel pressure regulator handle this aspect? Something else maybe? I was told to check the CHT sensor and have one of those coming, but i cant see it doing much since the problem is right when the car starts and it wouldnt have much time to effect the system, or am I wrong?

any help or direction would be great...thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dimitri
post Dec 1 2006, 04:02 PM
Post #2

dimitri

Member No.: 3,769

3 things that will make starting hard. 1/ defective 5th injecter,sittingin in manifold.
2/ temperature sensor under manifold on top of block: controls 5th injecter.
3/ the cht in the r head, controls enrichment. I sume the pumps cycles on when ever you turn the key on. there is a check valve built in the pump or a fitting on the pump, depends on pump used which keeps system pressure, or a low pressure, depending
on age, to prevent total drainig of supply lines, Dimitri
+Quote Post
JohnM
post Dec 1 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #3

914 enduro driver

Member No.: 2,387

" was wondering wha part and how does the stock FI hold pressure in the fuel lines when the car is sitting so there is fuel immediatly when started?"

Fuel pump check valve. Operates on negative pressure/flow ie. stops pressure from bleeding off through fuel pump when it is not powered/operating. John
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Dec 1 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #4

Teener fo Life!

ok, so as I understand it, when you turn the key, the CHT sensor tells the cold start valve how much extra fuel to inject to help starting?

so if either one (or both) are defective the problem would have have the same symptoms?
+Quote Post
biosurfer1
post Dec 1 2006, 04:10 PM
Post #5

Teener fo Life!

thanks johnny, now that is more along my line of work so thats easy to check...its when the problem goes electrical is when I start losing it....
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 1 2006, 06:39 PM
Post #6

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Dec 1 2006, 02:08 PM) *

ok, so as I understand it, when you turn the key, the CHT sensor tells the cold start valve how much extra fuel to inject to help starting?

Nope, two entirely separate systems. The CSV ("5th injector") only operates while the starter is cranking, and only when the temperature of the thermo-switch (thermo-time switch in later cars) is colder than about 40 degrees F. It simply dumps some set amount per second of fuel into the intake.

The CHT tells the ECU (the "brain") to open the main injectors for longer than it otherwise would when the CHT is colder.

A CSV that won't open shouldn't have any effect if the engine is above 40 deg F. One that is stuck open will result in a rich mixture all the time, as well as an engine that may be hard to start.

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 07:10 AM