Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seperate how to articles with pictures, maybe we all can contribute!? to 914 info. section
orange914
post Mar 27 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #1

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

what do "you all" think abput a section where we can post perminate articles with pictures of various repairs or upgrades we've done to our 914's. kind of a step by step repair manuel for others to research before attacking a repair we've never done before. i'm going to be doing the fuel line conversion for example and plan to document it. in the 914 info. there are a couple that are helpful. maybe add to it somehow? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rktmn247
post Mar 27 2007, 09:06 PM
Post #2

Irish Green with GT envy!

Member No.: 4,612
Region Association: None

Great idea! Here is the link to that area of the forum.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showforum=5
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Mar 27 2007, 09:10 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,842

Good idea. That way the newjacks have a place to go if nobody's around. I'll post a step by step next time I pull my engine. A lot of questions on that lately.
Mark D.
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Mar 27 2007, 09:27 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Orange, you are reading my mind. I've been hanging out here for nearly three months so I'm still a newbie, but I have opinions, especially since I have a lot of experience keeping 914's running back in the 70's and 80's when I used my cars as daily drivers.

Another passion of mine is hi-fi stereo reproduction. I belong to an FM tuner group and they have some really good info for newbies on their site (and for experienced people as well). Check it out: http://fmtunerinfo.com/#intro I think it would serve as a good example of giving good information to a group's members.

Anyway, without stepping on toes and getting bent out of shape about who "recommended" who and what product, etc., it wouldn't be hard to put together some "nailed" info posts that are closed to comment. The Lapuwali site does some of that, but not always in a succinct way. And it seems the Lapuwali site nails longer threads that turn out to be classics "after the fact."

For instance, recently I asked about the Optima Battery and Steve G was kind enough to post exactly which battery I would need to order. He did mention that he thought this info was already on the site. Well, it probably is but a search for Optima battery just didn't give it to me. How many members here have Optima Batteries or thought about buying one? Probably dozens. Why not have a paragraph about batteries stating how some members like the Optima, pros and cons, which model number you need to order, links to the Optima website, etc.

Maybe an easy way would be to change the name of a topic once the info is deemed to be a "useful reference." Many of the topics here have nebulous titles, like, "I've been thinking" or "Whadda ya think about?" when "Optima Battery" might work out better for a classic post.

Like today's post about gear oil and transmission capacity: necessary information to keep these cars running:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=69867

Anyway, just my .04!!!! (.02 two times over)

Paul
+Quote Post
orange914
post Mar 28 2007, 12:23 AM
Post #5

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

glad to see positive response, i think we're an active club and we all could contribute alot of good "archive info". this is a great run site and i'm not trying to load more on admin. but maybe we could set a few basic rules such as a basic step by step discription with a few pictures. they could be sent into admin to be posted in 914 info. section (locked). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) what say?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
this would be different than the "lapuwali classic threads" in that its a closed how to "my experiance" with a few pictures and not a discusion. the purpose to be a referance helper for one thinking about attacking this type repair. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Mar 28 2007, 01:03 AM
Post #6

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Good morning!

IMO, the Classics forum is single greatest "refined/purified" 914 resource on the web. Anyone can nominate a thread to go there. If it's solid 914 content, it usually does.

In general, I vote against anything that subdivides the site anymore and takes info out of the Garage or the Classics section. It makes searching harder for members.

If you have a suggestion to change the title of a particular thread (to aid searching), please PM any admin.

it wouldn't be hard to put together some "nailed" info posts that are closed to comment. The Lapuwali site does some of that, but not always in a succinct way. And it seems the Lapuwali site nails longer threads that turn out to be classics "after the fact."

What do you recommend to make it more "succinct"?

There's nothing nailed in the Classics forum. Should anything be nailed with only 97 threads in the forum? We usually wait until a thread has played out, everyone has had opportunity to add input or ask questions, and then move the thread after it's complete.

If you have a specific how-to you'd like to do, I'd be more than happy to move it to the Classics section.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Mar 28 2007, 03:36 AM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

James (Lapuwali) was in the process of reorganizing and 'cleaning up' the classics section. It's long been a dream of mine to give the How-To section of the site a SERIOUS boost. But there's just too many projects and not enough time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Taking pictures of projects and creating step-by-step threads is the BEST thing you can do to help produce the type of content you're looking for. Once the pictures and instructions are in a thread, it's a simple matter to move that thread around or copy the content out and put it on another part of the site.
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Mar 28 2007, 05:32 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Mar 28 2007, 03:03 AM) *

it wouldn't be hard to put together some "nailed" info posts that are closed to comment. The Lapuwali site does some of that, but not always in a succinct way. And it seems the Lapuwali site nails longer threads that turn out to be classics "after the fact."

What do you recommend to make it more "succinct"?

I guess by succinct I mean a single post rather than a thread. Or maybe even a condensed single post that boils everything down to "the answer." I'm not criticizing by any means because this place is the major 914 lifeline IMO, it's just a suggestion. Maybe it's too much work. Maybe when I finally get my car in the next few weeks I'll have some actual real-life experience to post, rather than just questions! lol

Paul
+Quote Post
blitZ
post Mar 28 2007, 06:15 AM
Post #9

Beer please...

Member No.: 4,719
Region Association: South East States

I agree and think it would be ideal to take the classic topics out of the forum and convert them to tech articles similar to what Pelican has on their site. It would be easier to find specifc information. Of course, it takes time and effort on someones part.
+Quote Post
johannes
post Mar 28 2007, 07:17 AM
Post #10

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

It's up to you.

Make a clean thread, with undertandable tittle, lots of pictures... and wait for votes ...

BTW, despite votes my last tutorial was not transfered to the classics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=headrests
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 28 2007, 08:30 AM
Post #11

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Mar 28 2007, 04:32 AM) *
I guess by succinct I mean a single post rather than a thread. Or maybe even a condensed single post that boils everything down to "the answer." I'm not criticizing by any means because this place is the major 914 lifeline IMO, it's just a suggestion. Maybe it's too much work. Maybe when I finally get my car in the next few weeks I'll have some actual real-life experience to post, rather than just questions! lol

Paul

I have observed over the years that this issue comes up occasionally and it appears as if the majority of members seem to think it's some sort of admin responsibility to write articles of the type this thread is discussing. Anyone... including yourself, can write such an article and submit it. But in 4 years, not many people have taken the initiative to do so.

It's your site, your garage...
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 28 2007, 08:32 AM
Post #12

Mike Ginter

QUOTE(johannes @ Mar 28 2007, 06:17 AM) *

It's up to you.

Make a clean thread, with undertandable tittle, lots of pictures... and wait for votes ...

BTW, despite votes my last tutorial was not transfered to the classics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Did you PM an admin and ask to have it moved to the Lapuwali Classic Thread Forum?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Mar 28 2007, 08:35 AM
Post #13

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

hmmm
would it be ok to transcribe someones thread to re-create it as a technical article??

If so, I may plug away...

Rich
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 28 2007, 08:36 AM
Post #14

Mike Ginter

QUOTE(BMXerror @ Mar 27 2007, 08:10 PM) *
Good idea. That way the newjacks have a place to go if nobody's around. I'll post a step by step next time I pull my engine. A lot of questions on that lately.
Mark D.

Don't misunderstand me here, I think this is a great idea. It's come up many times in the past and the admin team has discussed it before also.

Based on your reply here though I would like to take this opportunity to point something out. There is a great wealth of information on this site. If you put some time into learning the idiosyncracies of the search engine provided by this site's software, you will be rewarded many times over. Many, many times late at night or during a garage session I have used the search function to find the information I wanted in less than 5 minutes... all from information that is already archived here.
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Mar 28 2007, 08:42 AM
Post #15

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

QUOTE(johannes @ Mar 28 2007, 05:17 AM) *

It's up to you.

that's a pretty good thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Gint, I am still not efficient with the search function. Next time you are over, would you mind showing me the tricks of it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Mar 28 2007, 08:50 AM
Post #16

Mike Ginter

QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Mar 28 2007, 07:42 AM) *

QUOTE(johannes @ Mar 28 2007, 05:17 AM) *

It's up to you.

that's a pretty good thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Gint, I am still not efficient with the search function. Next time you are over, would you mind showing me the tricks of it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It's really easy. If I were at home I'd do a screen capture, but in the meantime...

Just below the search field there is a link labeled:

Enter a keyword or phrase to search by. [ Advanced Usage Help ]

Click on the "Advanced Usage Help" link and it will popup a very clear description of how to modify your search. Try it.
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Mar 28 2007, 09:03 AM
Post #17

thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

BTW, maybe it would be a good idea to have nailed thread that links to t he classics forum. Perhaps put a brief description of what can be found there, and then supply a link. I am sure there are many people that do not even know it exists. Not a link at the top of the page, but a thread with a link in it. I think it would gain more exposure, as more people read nailed topics than they do the links at the top of the page. just an idea.
+Quote Post
bperry
post Mar 28 2007, 10:08 AM
Post #18

Lurker

Member No.: 1,661

I guess my thoughts on this were that the threads in the "Classic" section
could be candidates for creating a real "Technical Article" under
the [914 Info]->[Technical Information]->[Technical Articles] page.

The structure on the site is already there, it is just a matter of using it.
To me one of the great mysteries of the site is why the technical
article section is so underutilized in favor of classic threads.

Some of the classic threads are of a conversational style or
perhaps even of a historical blog type style but some are
definitely intended to be a technical "how to" or "step by step" type article.

Just quickly scanning through the list of classic threads, there are at least
5 or 6 that would be really easy to make into great technical articles.

I mean how many times do we see questions about how to hook up power
for a fuel pump when running carbs? To me it would seem easier to
find if this were in a technical article rather than in a thread even if
it is a classic thread.

If its a matter of time, well, I have plenty and can help there.
I'd be happy to work with the admins to convert some of the more
"how to" or "step by step" threads into articles.

I'm not suggesting that the original threads be removed, just that
we begin to start to use the technical article section a bit more.

Just my thoughts.

--- bill

+Quote Post
Rusty
post Mar 28 2007, 10:45 AM
Post #19

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

If its a matter of time, well, I have plenty and can help there.
I'd be happy to work with the admins to convert some of the more
"how to" or "step by step" threads into articles.

Fantastic! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Mar 28 2007, 10:48 AM
Post #20

i'd be willing to help too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 02:16 AM