Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SOT Did you install your own two post lift
sww914
post May 12 2007, 07:48 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

I found a good deal on a used lift but I'm probably too cheap to pay anyone to install it.
Where I'd like to put it is in my driveway just in front of the garage, but the concrete there is 30 years old.
Will I get Ginted if I plant it in old concrete?

Ginted
verb
1. to have one's head partially smashed by a falling automobile due to a failed support device. ( often not fatal or disfiguring) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 12 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #2

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(sww914 @ May 12 2007, 08:48 PM) *

I found a good deal on a used lift but I'm probably too cheap to pay anyone to install it.
Where I'd like to put it is in my driveway just in front of the garage, but the concrete there is 30 years old.
Will I get Ginted if I plant it in old concrete?

Ginted
verb
1. to have one's head partially smashed by a falling automobile due to a failed support device. ( often not fatal or disfiguring) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Ginted.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

+Quote Post
John
post May 12 2007, 08:13 PM
Post #3

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

I can feel the LOVE... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Back to the topic, I would NOT install on a typical concrete found on a driveway. Reason is it probably isn't thick enough.

What is the brand of the lift you are buying? Contact the company or look on the web to see if you can find installation instructions. I know ROTARY has info on the web.

Rotary calls out minimum 5.5" thick reinforced concrete. We knew this when building my garage, so we made the floor where the lift is plenty thick. We were not sure how deep they were going to pour the concrete and made the area a little deeper the night before the pour. It ended up 12+ inches thick. When the installer came out, his bit wouldn't go all the way through the floor!

In my opinion, I would think twice about installing a 2 post lift on a driveway slab or outdoors.

just my $0.02

How cheap did you get your lift? They aren't that expensive new.
+Quote Post
JPB
post May 12 2007, 08:23 PM
Post #4

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

Ginted? Hell no mister. I'd put one of them, there right there like you said there. I just would not stand under it though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Its not me, its that dangold red sauce I've been sipin on dowgonit.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 12 2007, 09:49 PM
Post #5

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

If you have a drill and a masonry bit, drill a few test holes in the driveway to determine how thick it is.

If you are ok there, rent a metal detector to see if there is re-enforcing.
Typically there is, if you dont have loads of cracks...if you do have loads of crack, its probably not re-enforced.

If you pass both tests, go for it, just use a really heavy duty concrete fastener.
If its two thin, a larger plate of 3/8 inch steel will work to spread the wieght out, figure that you need to quadruple the foot print on the ground, and you will be fine.

At the end of the day, you are placing a load of 1/2 the car and 1/2 the lift on less than one square foot of concrete.

Rich
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post May 12 2007, 11:25 PM
Post #6

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

I just installed a 4 post lift. what I like about it is I can roll it around inside or outside. that makes it very handy and it will handle 7000 lbs. plus you can store a car on top while you work on the ground.

Bernie
+Quote Post
smj
post May 14 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #7

"Dude, Steve from Berkeley."

Member No.: 4,691
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ May 12 2007, 10:25 PM) *

I just installed a 4 post lift. what I like about it is I can roll it around inside or outside.

What make of lift was this?
What kind did the rest of you install?

I just sent sketches off to the structural engineer for my lower level, and would like to plan ahead for a lift of one sort or another. I had been thinking about one of those knee-high jobs I've seen for a couple grand, but bigger is better, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 11:30 PM