Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Calling Dr Evil... Vol VI, Transaxle gurus, assemble!
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 6 2007, 02:47 PM
Post #1

The girl is gone and all I have now is a beat-up teener

Group: Members
From: Gig Harbor and University Place, WA :: School in Angola, IN :: girlfriend in Sarasota, FL
Member No.: 2,094
Region Association: None

Well I had an hour this morning so I pulled the stack from the tranny. I got it on the bench and it shifts solid into all gears except 4th (not a surprise) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) , only gets part way in. I also heard a clicking or something when I turned the shaft and the gears spun, like a loose piece of metal flopping around in there, is this normal?

So What do I do now?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jul 6 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #2

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Loose clicky noises are normal, it's the stop blocks and brake bands moving around. As far as not going into 4th, the stack will have to come apart. It's probably either the dog teeth, the slider, or the synchro/stop blocks/brake bands. It's possible it's the slider hub, but I doubt it.

The easy solution is to send the stack to Dr. Evil. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 6 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #3

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I agree with Bondo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You may have a bad intermediate plate bearing, also.

Pics help
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 7 2007, 02:07 AM
Post #4

From: Gig Harbor and University Place, WA :: School in Angola, IN :: girlfriend in Sarasota, FL

I would've had pics, but my stepmom took the digital with her for her weekend trip (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) . I've got things to do the next few days (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t1.gif), but monday I'll take the stack apart (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) and get some pics up.

Can I take just the top shaft apart (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) and leave the bottom, or is it a total deal?
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 7 2007, 11:10 AM
Post #5

You may be able to remove 4th and 5th off of the top shaft with little problem. Going past that interferes with the gears and such on the lower shaft and would require both to be removed or at least loosened. Just be careful and dont force things too much. You can easily destroy the $130-150 upper bearing in the plate.
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 7 2007, 02:40 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 7 2007, 10:10 AM) *

You may be able to remove 4th and 5th off of the top shaft with little problem. Going past that interferes with the gears and such on the lower shaft and would require both to be removed or at least loosened. Just be careful and dont force things too much. You can easily destroy the $130-150 upper bearing in the plate.

YIKES! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif)
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 8 2007, 03:22 PM
Post #7

Well I've been working on this in a couple 15 min sessions the last few days. I have the castletated nut, the other nut (on the drive shaft) and the bolt (pinion shaft) off. Can I softly hammer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) the drive shaft out and work on it or do I have to go the Haynes route and totally dismantle everything? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 8 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #8

Why did you remove the castlated nut? I fear that large $$ damage is in your future. You should only need to remove the nut on the front of the gear stack and then slide the 5th, 4/5 slider and 4th gears out to inspect the gears dog teeth and bands. Under no circumstances should you hammer the rear of the shaft! IT will mushroom and you will be screwed and be asking me for another shaft. Then you WILL have to disassemble the whole stack to replace it. To remove the shaft from 1st gear you need to use a press.

This is what to do for 4th and 5th removal:
- Flatten #8
- remove #7
- Carefully remove #9
- 10-16 will come off

11, 14 and 16 are the parts to inspect.

When you are done and reassemble it, you will need to align the shift forks correctly.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 9 2007, 12:49 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 8 2007, 09:05 PM) *

Why did you remove the castlated nut? I fear that large $$ damage is in your future. You should only need to remove the nut on the front of the gear stack and then slide the 5th, 4/5 slider and 4th gears out to inspect the gears dog teeth and bands. Under no circumstances should you hammer the rear of the shaft! IT will mushroom and you will be screwed and be asking me for another shaft. Then you WILL have to disassemble the whole stack to replace it. To remove the shaft from 1st gear you need to use a press.

This is what to do for 4th and 5th removal:
- Flatten #8
- remove #7
- Carefully remove #9
- 10-16 will come off

11, 14 and 16 are the parts to inspect.

When you are done and reassemble it, you will need to align the shift forks correctly.

I'll put those bits back in. As far as #9, how do I remove that? It doesnt slide off, and I dont have a bearing puller that's a foot long.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 9 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #10

You should notice that #11 has two grooves in it that go under the washer (#10). You can work a screwdriver or other flat hard implement into this spot and it will force the washer to push the bearing off. It will help greatly to soak the bearing/shaft junction with some PB blaster and let it sit for a while.
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 9 2007, 01:18 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 9 2007, 12:08 PM) *

You should notice that #11 has two grooves in it that go under the washer (#10). You can work a screwdriver or other flat hard implement into this spot and it will force the washer to push the bearing off. It will help greatly to soak the bearing/shaft junction with some PB blaster and let it sit for a while.

I dont have, or know, what PB blaster is. Is that another type of WD-40 kind of stuff?
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 9 2007, 01:38 PM
Post #12

Sort of. You can get it everywhere, even Wal-mart. It loosens things up. WD-40 is not adequate enough for the job.
+Quote Post
jaminM3
post Jul 9 2007, 03:28 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 7,619
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I don't think this guy should be tearing apart his transaxle...

This requires specialized tools and knowledge. Just send it to the Evil guy!

If you work on cars and don't know what PB blaster is, I don't believe you work on cars.
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 9 2007, 04:11 PM
Post #14

ouch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

and here's a couple pics, I got the washer and bearing off, now i'm working on 4th/5th gears, I have a little play (1/8"). But I'm not forcing the issue (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) too much (being careful). As far as clearance, I dont see how I can take them off without interfering with the gears on the pinion shaft. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 9 2007, 04:42 PM
Post #15

Alright, I got the gears off. I slid the bearings out first and then that left enough space inside the gear to wiggle/tilt it and get it out.

Here's some pics. 5th gear first, then the teeth with the 4th gear side on top, 5th on bottom (looking kind of worn on 4th side, big surprise)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 9 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #16

and 4th gear

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jaminM3
post Jul 9 2007, 06:18 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 7,619
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I have rebuilt a few T5 Mustang 5-speeds and from what limited experiance I have the gears look good. The little points are nice and sharp and not rounded over. Are you sure the problem wasn't with the shift linkage?
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 9 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #18

Well I couldnt get it into 4th at the tranny (where the selector fork goes in) and then with the stack out, it wont slot (and more importantly 'lock' into 4th gear) like all the others.
+Quote Post
John
post Jul 9 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #19

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

First, why are your gear stacks so dry? When I first pull them they are usually really wet.

Second, on the slider, which end was facing 4th? With a caliper, measure the synchro band in several places. What is your measurement?

If it is too large something has happened to it and it won't fit inside the slider. I had something like this happen to 5th gear in a 915 box. One of my anchor blocks moved causing the synchronizer ring to be too large. (That's when I found my worn Pinion gear....)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BahnBrenner914
post Jul 9 2007, 08:32 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(John @ Jul 9 2007, 07:29 PM) *

First, why are your gear stacks so dry? When I first pull them they are usually really wet.

Second, on the slider, which end was facing 4th? With a caliper, measure the synchro band in several places. What is your measurement?

If it is too large something has happened to it and it won't fit inside the slider. I had something like this happen to 5th gear in a 915 box. One of my anchor blocks moved causing the synchronizer ring to be too large. (That's when I found my worn Pinion gear....)

The picture of the slider, the 4th gear side is the upper (in the pic) teeth, and they are pretty worn out. I'll do some calipering tonight after dinner.

Also, the stack is dry cause it's taken me a week to get from draining the tranny to taking off those gears.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 05:48 PM