Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Off Topic!, Let the gas companys burn in HELL
justdrive914
post Sep 12 2008, 10:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,374
Region Association: South East States

WTF gas here in asheville NC is up to 5.10 a gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Something must be done
914's get good mileage we are tryin here!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

no more of this for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

how did it come to this? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 12 2008, 10:24 PM
Post #2

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Drill, drill, drill. If we had a pipe line from Alaska we wouldn't have the spike when Hurricanes hit the gulf.
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Sep 12 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #3

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(justdrive914 @ Sep 12 2008, 08:01 PM) *

That's easy. A bazillion people in this country drive SUV's and huge trucks creating a huge demand for gas. When the market gets tight prices go up. When gas prices went sky high Americans started cutting back and the fuel prices dropped in a short period. Reduce consumption and the prices will continue to drop. When demand increases the prices will rise. A surplus means prices drop, it's an easy concept.

I'm sure I'll get flamed but we are the biggest abusers of energy in the world and we have this coming and we deserve it. Nobody learned from the 70's......and I admit I am as bad as the rest (except I do drive a Prius)

It's like telling people there is a water shortage. They turn on the tap and say there is plenty of water. They won't conserve until no water comes out of the tap ......and the same will be for gas. Americans won't conserve on their own because it is the right thing to do. They will only conserve when the price gets too high or there is none left..........sorry to speak the truth

Travel to other countries. In many it is illegal to run their home heater during certain times of the year. Are we spoiled or are they over regulated?
+Quote Post
dbgriffith75
post Sep 12 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #4

TheGrif

Member No.: 7,945
Region Association: Upper MidWest

how did it come to this?

I blame the government... and taxes... and alcohol... and the rich.

It's a simple enough concept- each American citizen pays income tax to pay our civil employees and public servants. OK, that's fair enough. But the mistake was made years and years ago, back at end of the Revolutionary War.

Our fore fathers waged war against the British. Why? Because of taxes. Yeah, there was a lot more to it than that, but taxes were the main issue. But the American Revolution left our country in a great debt; so what did Washington, Jefferson, and their buddies decide to do to eliminate that debt? Taxes. On distilled spirits to be more specific. Since then it's just been a vicious cycle of continued taxes into our generation. Anybody that regularly watches the History channel can tell you this.

And when you consider that, in this country, the more money you make and the bigger your company gets, the better the taxes work to your advantage. So since the big oil giants are making billions of dollars a year in this day and age, they get more and more tax breaks.

Because of this, the average joe like you and me have to suffer for it. I believe that George Carlin said it best...

"The rich pay none of the taxes, do none of the work.
The middle class pay all of the taxes, do all of the work.
The poor are there... just to scare the shit out of the middle class."

Just my $.02
+Quote Post
LarryR
post Sep 12 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,604

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Sep 12 2008, 09:27 PM) *

That's easy. A bazillion people in this country drive SUV's and huge trucks creating a huge demand for gas. When the market gets tight prices go up. When gas prices went sky high Americans started cutting back and the fuel prices dropped in a short period. Reduce consumption and the prices will continue to drop. When demand increases the prices will rise. A surplus means prices drop, it's an easy concept.

I'm sure I'll get flamed but we are the biggest abusers of energy in the world and we have this coming and we deserve it. Nobody learned from the 70's......and I admit I am as bad as the rest (except I do drive a Prius)

It's like telling people there is a water shortage. They turn on the tap and say there is plenty of water. They won't conserve until no water comes out of the tap ......and the same will be for gas. Americans won't conserve on their own because it is the right thing to do. They will only conserve when the price gets too high or there is none left..........sorry to speak the truth

Travel to other countries. In many it is illegal to run their home heater during certain times of the year. Are we spoiled or are they over regulated?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I was just as bad as the rest until this last year. I have a monster commute (100 miles a day) and I kept driving my 96 jeep grand cherokee regardless because it was paid for.

This year I started car pooling and then even bought a '09 VW tdi a couple of weeks ago. My fuel cost has dropped from 700 a month to about 65 bucks a month!!!

It is funny how when the realizations start hitting you how you start to conserve in other aspects of your life. I have allowed our grass to turn a yellowish color trying to conserve water but draw the line at our fruit trees. I figure we eat the fruit and the water would be used to grow it elsewhere anyway.

I am a strong believer that if we all turned in our SUV's and conserved that the trade deficit would shrink to almost zip almost over night. Just think if we could completely cut our dependency on foriegn oil!!! 237 million a day in Iraq comes to mind.... I will stop here before I start to rant.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Sep 12 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #6

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Screw that, I own a lot of stock in Exxon so I have no clue what you're complaining about. What problem?

By the way, Anwar has 5 billion barrels of "proved" reserves. The U.S. consumes 20-25 million barrels a day. Do the math, that's exactly one year of our consumption. So after a year, then what? There's no escape. I'm telling you, buy Exxon stock.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Sep 12 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #7

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

Um, Hurricanes

Just watched the news tonight saying about all the oil rigs shut down because of the Hurricanes.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
dbgriffith75
post Sep 13 2008, 12:01 AM
Post #8

TheGrif

Member No.: 7,945

Oh, and something I forgot to add into my previous post...

The technology to get extremely good gas mileage exists... or so I hear. I can't think of his exact name, but Charles somethingorother (I wanna say his last name starts with an H) developed a carburetor decades ago that was proven to get twenty five miles to the pint... which, if you do the math, works out to about 200 miles per gallon. I'll say that again- TWO HUNDRED, miles per gallon.

I can't remember the specifics but it had something to do with how the gas was vaporized in the carburetor that made it so efficient. The inventor never allowed experts to personally inspect the carburetor, but did allow them to drive the car he installed it in, after which they confirmed that the car did get 200/gallon.

...Okay, I just did a Yahoo search on this. The inventor's name was Charles Pogue, and it was invented in 1935. But the story goes that when lead was introduced into gasoline for lubrication, the carburetor wouldn't work.

Well... here we are today with unleaded gasoline, so what could possibly be stopping car company's from using this technology? My personal thought is, by whatever means you can imagine, the oil companies are paying the car companies not to use it.

However, the original patent for this carb is still on file w/ the Patent Office. So, I call unto you, 914 owners. With all the creative minds we have on these boards, myself excluded, I urge you to pool your resources and build this carburetor again, and we shall see if the story is true... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Oh, I'd also like to note that I completely agree Americans are hardly the conservative type. For that, I blame prostitutes... not that I'm saying their company is all that bad.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Sep 13 2008, 12:23 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

...and yet the State of Colorado is going to try to pass a law to prevent us from drilling for a minumum of three months a year here in the Western Colorado Piceance Basin.

I have not been in the industry too long, but I can tell you one thing. Oil companies are not going to pay for their rigs to sit without making money.

Politics....quite a double edged sword.
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Sep 13 2008, 12:25 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 12 2008, 09:24 PM) *

Drill, drill, drill. If we had a pipe line from Alaska we wouldn't have the spike when Hurricanes hit the gulf.

Rick, we have never gotten oil from Alaska, and there is no guarantee that we will if they drill in anwar....all the oil that has ever come from the north shelf has gone straight to Japan....I think T. Boone Pickens has it right. Use air to make electricity and lp gas for cars...we have plenty of both...starting with the government....
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Sep 13 2008, 12:34 AM
Post #11

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315

FYI- we get about 80% of our oil from Canada and Mexico.

I filled up today at 3.49.9
+Quote Post
swl
post Sep 13 2008, 06:44 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

get used to guys - it is simply a matter of supply and demand. This spike is nothing but gouging pure and simple. Any excuse to make a quick buck. But we are running out and that means the price will go up and up and up.

'Experts' differ about when we will hit the point where we will the half way point in the worlds accessible oil reserves. Some say 10 some say 20. Point is they all agree that it is finite and within the life time of most people alive today. We have used up the first half in what - just over a hundred years? And the rate in the first 50 years was just a trickle.

Now we have at least a third of the worlds population who have been locked in a peasant society - China, and India mainly - who are emerging into a western like era of cars and industry. There is no way we are going to squeeze another 100 years out of the reserves.

Drill and pipe to your hearts content - all you are doing is hastening the end game. If you want to criticize government find out why they are not treating this as a crisis and diverting cash and research to solving the problem of what we are going to do without oil.
+Quote Post
justdrive914
post Sep 13 2008, 07:03 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Sep 12 2008, 09:00 PM) *

Um, Hurricanes

Just watched the news tonight saying about all the oil rigs shut down because of the Hurricanes.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I think we all realize thats the cause, but 99% of the time its all just speculation. The U.S gets less than 2% of its oil from Louisiana and probably not alot more from texas
+Quote Post
abbott295
post Sep 13 2008, 08:06 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,468

Right now it's the refineries that are shut down on the Gulf coast of Texas. 25% of our refinery capacity is there. And anticipation of the shortage that will result.
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Sep 13 2008, 01:07 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 3,795
Region Association: Northstar Region

capitalism is federally managed in an odd way to me.

imho, we missed the boat during the '70's oil crisis. we had a choice between managing energy with business relationships or infrastructure. we chose the relationships and allowed the business leaders to exert more and more influence over legislation. the result was continued reliance on foreign oil and the marketing of bigger and less efficient vehicles (for example).

we *should* have begun a concerted effort to level the field with advancements in alternatives (as some wanted to) then. that being said, it's not too late, but you see what the priority of the federal government is based on the attention paid to iraq over the last 5 years or so.

no one should have to give up their large vehicles, but they should have been marketed with clean diesel and other alternatives long ago, because most would choose the efficiency if offered on par with petro... even in the fat '90's, assuming the leadership maintaining the commitment to stave off our dependancy to the middle east.

2 things could help:

1- don't buy inefficient petro burning vehicles. tell leaders you insist on alternatives.
2- invest in american engineering and manufacturing, and elect officials who will do the same. america's ability to sustain itself has been gutted in the last 20 years, and no self respecting economist could expect the current model to end in anything but disaster.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) that's my take.

paul

+Quote Post
justdrive914
post Sep 13 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ Sep 12 2008, 10:01 PM) *

Oh, and something I forgot to add into my previous post...

The technology to get extremely good gas mileage exists... or so I hear. I can't think of his exact name, but Charles somethingorother (I wanna say his last name starts with an H) developed a carburetor decades ago that was proven to get twenty five miles to the pint... which, if you do the math, works out to about 200 miles per gallon. I'll say that again- TWO HUNDRED, miles per gallon.

I can't remember the specifics but it had something to do with how the gas was vaporized in the carburetor that made it so efficient. The inventor never allowed experts to personally inspect the carburetor, but did allow them to drive the car he installed it in, after which they confirmed that the car did get 200/gallon.

...Okay, I just did a Yahoo search on this. The inventor's name was Charles Pogue, and it was invented in 1935. But the story goes that when lead was introduced into gasoline for lubrication, the carburetor wouldn't work.

Well... here we are today with unleaded gasoline, so what could possibly be stopping car company's from using this technology? My personal thought is, by whatever means you can imagine, the oil companies are paying the car companies not to use it.

However, the original patent for this carb is still on file w/ the Patent Office. So, I call unto you, 914 owners. With all the creative minds we have on these boards, myself excluded, I urge you to pool your resources and build this carburetor again, and we shall see if the story is true... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Oh, I'd also like to note that I completely agree Americans are hardly the conservative type. For that, I blame prostitutes... not that I'm saying their company is all that bad.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
justdrive914
post Sep 13 2008, 03:23 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Sep 13 2008, 11:07 AM) *

imho, we missed the boat during the '70's oil crisis. we had a choice between managing energy with business relationships or infrastructure. we chose the relationships and allowed the business leaders to exert more and more influence over legislation. the result was continued reliance on foreign oil and the marketing of bigger and less efficient vehicles (for example).

we *should* have begun a concerted effort to level the field with advancements in alternatives (as some wanted to) then. that being said, it's not too late, but you see what the priority of the federal government is based on the attention paid to iraq over the last 5 years or so.

no one should have to give up their large vehicles, but they should have been marketed with clean diesel and other alternatives long ago, because most would choose the efficiency if offered on par with petro... even in the fat '90's, assuming the leadership maintaining the commitment to stave off our dependancy to the middle east.

2 things could help:

1- don't buy inefficient petro burning vehicles. tell leaders you insist on alternatives.
2- invest in american engineering and manufacturing, and elect officials who will do the same. america's ability to sustain itself has been gutted in the last 20 years, and no self respecting economist could expect the current model to end in anything but disaster.

paul

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
swl
post Sep 13 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Sep 13 2008, 11:07 AM) *

2 things could help:

paul

Amen to that paul!

What country is this?
Richest in the world
Largest Military
Center of the world business and Finance
Strongest education system
World center of inovation and invention
Currency the world standard of value

+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 13 2008, 06:39 PM
Post #19

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

What was the reason given for developing the Department of Energy during the Carter administration?
We have spent multi billions of dollars in support of this agency and I am willing to bet not one person who reads this will remember the reason given. It was very simple:

THE DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY WAS INSTITUTED TO LESSEN OUR DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL.

NOTE: IN 2008 THE BUDGET FOR THIS DEPARTMENT IS NOW AT 24.2 BILLION A YEAR. THEY HAVE 16,000 FEDERAL EMPLOYEES AND APPROXIMATELY 100,000 CONTRACT EMPLOYEES.

+Quote Post
dw914er
post Sep 13 2008, 08:02 PM
Post #20

Planning Cities

Member No.: 8,763
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Sep 12 2008, 09:27 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

its up to us to cut down, and up to building the infrastructure to support better means and use of energy.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 03:44 AM