Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Battery in trunk, More on my 914 / Ax project car
bfrymire
post Apr 23 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #1

Salsaholic

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,431
Region Association: Northern California

Always seems to be something fix or upgrade. Neverending. But, we all like that right?

So, I wanted to move the battery into the trunk, and at the same time, use a AGM battery (26lbs vs 36lbs).

Well, here it is mounted using the billet mount. The PO cut a hole in the trunk for starter access, so, I decided to put this to use. (Yes, I do plan to clean up the hole.)

Attached Image

Someone else did something simliar, and I had asked about the wires that normaly attach to the positive post. So, I used a battery bulkhead connector and attached the wires using that. You can see it in this photo next to the petronix.

Here's the post unmounted.

Attached Image

Inside engine bay.

Attached Image

More in next post....

(Still have to fix that big hole in the firewall, put new bars and shocks in the front, and fix an engine miss. <sigh> Don't think I am going to make the AX this weekend...)

-- brett
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
bfrymire
post Apr 23 2010, 08:50 PM
Post #2

Salsaholic

And here's a picture of the bulkhead inside the trunk and the wiring.

Attached Image

-- brett
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Apr 23 2010, 09:43 PM
Post #3

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you want the weight between the axles and as low as possible?

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
bfrymire
post Apr 23 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #4

Salsaholic

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 23 2010, 08:43 PM) *

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you want the weight between the axles and as low as possible?

The Cap'n

Yes. I wanted the battery out of the engine compartment. I was aware of the placement, and just picked a good place to mount. Ideally, it should be moved forward more. (And no, I don't want to put it in the front trunk.)

The next step after this, is to corner balance the car. I still plan to make adjustments, such as moving the battery around if need be.

Thanks for the comment. (Good point!)

-- brett
+Quote Post
brant
post Apr 23 2010, 10:59 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

brett,

914's are tail heavy... even stock... especially as race cars.
to be more balanced, you want to move weight forward from stock
batteries in the cockpit or front trunk are really a step in the right direction when it comes to optimum corner balancing.
+Quote Post
bfrymire
post Apr 23 2010, 11:07 PM
Post #6

Salsaholic

QUOTE(brant @ Apr 23 2010, 09:59 PM) *

brett,

914's are tail heavy... even stock... especially as race cars.
to be more balanced, you want to move weight forward from stock
batteries in the cockpit or front trunk are really a step in the right direction when it comes to optimum corner balancing.

Agreed. I had a choice of here or in the passenger compartment. But, I still don't like long leads from the battery to the starter. Electrical problems are not fun. I used to have a Datsun 510 for Ax, and had moved the battery to the trunk. It worked, but it was one very long cable. I remember getting a 2 gauge cable to keep the resistance down. That of course, added weight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I will play with the location a little, but I just choose a good place that was easy to install as the place to put it.

Thanks for the advice.

--brett
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Apr 24 2010, 12:34 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

Put it here.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Apr 24 2010, 09:06 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,943

You should put it here.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Apr 24 2010, 09:40 AM
Post #9

Cap'n Krusty

It just occurred to me that you've placed the battery directly above the muffler, one of the hottest places in the car. Even more "not good" than I previously thought. As for the cable issue, welding shops have a nice selection of more-cable-than-you'll-ever-need, as well as a choice of crimped on ends that will suit your needs perfectly. Electrical issues involving battery to starter issues then become the last thing you'll ever have to think about.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Silverstreak
post Apr 24 2010, 09:53 AM
Post #10

Edmund J. Fournier #36

Member No.: 11,552
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 24 2010, 01:34 AM) *

Put it here.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Bring some weight to the front, already plenty in the rear. Bring balance to the force you will.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Apr 24 2010, 10:44 AM
Post #11

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

It's been 5 years since I stuck this here. @11lbs you can put it where ever you want. I could have put it in the front trunk but the cabling would weigh as much as the battery. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) This makes for very convenient runs for the various wires....like the main feed for the MSD & starter/charging. Bout ready for a new one, me thinks.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bfrymire
post Apr 24 2010, 01:20 PM
Post #12

Salsaholic

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 24 2010, 09:44 AM) *

It's been 5 years since I stuck this here. @11lbs you can put it where ever you want. I could have put it in the front trunk but the cabling would weigh as much as the battery. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) This makes for very convenient runs for the various wires....like the main feed for the MSD & starter/charging. Bout ready for a new one, me thinks.

Part of what I am working toward is a ligther car, and simplification. Short wires = both.

I do like your placement better than mine, and that is an easy fix.

As far as heat from the muffler, probably still less than being in the engine bay. I can place a probe and measure it.

-- brett
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Apr 24 2010, 03:03 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

That car is so cool, it doesn't matter where the battery goes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Apr 24 2010, 05:25 PM
Post #14

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Put it on the pasenger side floor. That is as low as you can go and keeps the cables short and counters the weight of the driver. Needless to say that is where mine is...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Apr 24 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #15

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 24 2010, 04:25 PM) *

Put it on the pasenger side floor. That is as low as you can go and keeps the cables short and counters the weight of the driver. Needless to say that is where mine is...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

With the type of battery you have you could just put it lower on the rail as well. Much better for balancing. I was going to relocate mine behind the passenger seat but I never got around to it.
+Quote Post
bfrymire
post Apr 24 2010, 07:26 PM
Post #16

Salsaholic

I almost bought the 680 instead of the 925, as I wasn't sure if it would crank the motor over. Obviously, I should have got the 680. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-- brett
+Quote Post
bfrymire
post Apr 24 2010, 07:28 PM
Post #17

Salsaholic

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Apr 24 2010, 05:00 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 24 2010, 04:25 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

With the type of battery you have you could just put it lower on the rail as well. Much better for balancing. I was going to relocate mine behind the passenger seat but I never got around to it.

And I bet the 680 would fit. The 925 was too big.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Maybe I should move this battery to the street car and get the 680 for this car.

-- brett
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Apr 24 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #18

Cap'n Krusty

QUOTE(bfrymire @ Apr 24 2010, 12:20 PM) *

Part of what I am working toward is a ligther car, and simplification. Short wires = both.

As far as heat from the muffler, probably still less than being in the engine bay. I can place a probe and measure it.

-- brett

With the lid on, it gets REALLY hot, much hotter than the original location. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
race914
post Apr 25 2010, 07:57 AM
Post #19

73 914-4

Member No.: 5,027

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 24 2010, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(bfrymire @ Apr 24 2010, 12:20 PM) *

-- brett

With the lid on, it gets REALLY hot, much hotter than the original location. The Cap'n

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with the Cap'n. I mistakenly left a Tyvek car cover in the trunk for a track event, and areas touching the trunk floor melted.

My battery is mounted in the front trunk like Elliot's above, only difference is I use a small battery similar to this to save weight.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.performancedistributors.com-5027-1272203861.1.jpg)

I'm using the welding cable approach as the Cap'n suggested and have no issues what-so-ever with this setup. The cable adds weight, but it is as low as you can get and in the middle of the car.

Hope this info helps. Just trying to share a successful setup and lessons learned with the car cover in the trunk.
+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post Apr 25 2010, 09:38 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 24 2010, 01:34 AM) *

Put it here.

Elliot, where did you run the battery cable?

Any problems/issues with running the cable underneath the car?

-- Rob
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 12:37 PM