Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> fuel pump problem.. won't prime for some reason, Dr 914/George could you verify markings on China pumps please
tod914
post May 26 2010, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 170

Put in a nos bosch 3 port pump in my car after changing all the fuel lines. There is gas in both the feed and return line from the firewall to the pump.. no kinked lines there. I checked and checked my fuel line configuration. All seems good..
fat line from fire wall to step hose to filter to S / top of the pump. D line to feed into engine bay. R has the 2 return lines and the bottom of the pump. Now the pump has the correct bosch numbers on it, but does not have the S D R on it. I would think it's the same as my old pump even though it's not marked like that. fuel routing in the engine bay is fine. been over that several times. the pump turns on fine when I turn the key 1/2 way. I tried that like 30 times to try to get pressure to build up. nadda.. even tried pulling feed line in the engine bay to see if that helped. Even ran it directly from the battery for like 10 seconds like the instructions said.
Any suggestions on how to get this pump to prime/push fuel?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
tod914
post May 26 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Would clamping the return feed into the pump help it get going?
+Quote Post
SLITS
post May 26 2010, 06:15 PM
Post #3

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

"R" is the one next to the aluminum cap. "S" is at the other end. "D" is the middle port. If that's how you are hooked up, it should work.

NOS means nothing ... Product was discontinued 12/2004. You figure out how old the pump is.
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 26 2010, 06:19 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

That's the way it's hooked up Ron, thanks. True on the NOS thing. Should of tried it out on a bench first.
+Quote Post
swl
post May 26 2010, 07:08 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

test to see if fuel is being delivered through the D port or through the R port. Pop off valve could be stuck which causes it to pump through the R instead of the D.

Wasn't there a thread a while back about knock off Chinese pumps that had the S and D turned around? The missing SDR labelling is odd.
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 26 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Steve, absolutely nothing comes out of "D". Is there a way to unstick that valve your refering to? The missing labels I thought were odd too. But, oddly, it has the Bosch number and made in Germany on the bottom of the case stamped in. Also no yellow paint on the screws. Who knows, maybe it's hybrid Chinese one. I'll try swapping the "S" & "D" tomorrow and see what happens.
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post May 26 2010, 07:18 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

tod, please post how this comes out? yours is not marked S D R ?? I have an NOS unit to install well, supposedly it was tested but maybe you save me a headache..
+Quote Post
swl
post May 26 2010, 07:21 PM
Post #8

Should be easy check out. Just pull the R and route it to a collector. If that works then it probably is the check valve. Else switch S and D and see what happens.

Can't say if you would be able to recover from the stuck pop off. I had one like that and even after I disassembled it I couldn't get it to work again. The rubber tip had malformed and was causing just enough drag to stop the fuel pressure from opening the valve.
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 26 2010, 07:31 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Great, thanks for the tips. I'll get on it tomorrow and post my results. Hope it isn't a misrepresented Chinese pump. Anyone know what kind of stamp marks the Chinese pumps have on the case?
+Quote Post
swl
post May 26 2010, 07:38 PM
Post #10

Dr. 914 - please pick up the white courtesy phone!
+Quote Post
swl
post May 26 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #11

found the thread I was thinking about.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=97368
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 26 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Cool deal, I'll message Paul and see if our pumps have the same case markings.
+Quote Post
swl
post May 26 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #13

you know after re-reading that thread I wonder if the chinese pump really does have the innards messed up or whether it is just a stuck pop off. Note that he says the D and R are the two mixed up. That means fuel is being pumped out the R port the same as a stuck valve. Switching the leads would make it run just fine. Never could understand how the chinese could design the pump with the D and R switched.

In this thread George talks about high failure rate with the chinese pumps.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=96621
+Quote Post
detoxcowboy
post May 26 2010, 08:14 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

QUOTE(swl @ May 26 2010, 06:38 PM) *

Dr. 914 - please pick up the white courtesy phone!

I have seenadvertised as "new leaky 3 port pump" (I believe it to be one of the chinese he sells too) for sale on ebay by the doctor, damn if there are bidders..
+Quote Post
SLITS
post May 26 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #15

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

QUOTE(swl @ May 26 2010, 07:10 PM) *

you know after re-reading that thread I wonder if the chinese pump really does have the innards messed up or whether it is just a stuck pop off. Note that he says the D and R are the two mixed up. That means fuel is being pumped out the R port the same as a stuck valve. Switching the leads would make it run just fine. Never could understand how the chinese could design the pump with the D and R switched.

They reverse the postion of the valve seal assembly. Instead of opening towards the cap, it opens toward the center. Done to avoid a patent infringment? Done because of stupidity? Whatever. Could it be a Bosch pump with a Chino head?
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 26 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

I also tried running the pump with the leeds swapped (backwards) with the lines in the correct stock location. Still nothing comming out of "D". I'm kind of thinking that too Ron.. hybrid.
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 26 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Here's some shots if you guys don't mind double checking my hookup. 1st is the line set up, then the new "hybrid?" pump, then the old bosch pump.

line set up; abit messy due to me pulling the pump off the mount
Attached Image

new pump case
Attached Image

old pump case
Attached Image

+Quote Post
avidfanjpl
post May 27 2010, 12:49 AM
Post #18

914 Hemophiliac

Member No.: 11,566
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have 2 3 port pumps - 1 Bosch in the car and a spare I got here. Thought I blew the Bosch, but I did not. Tested both last week. Both work fine.

BOSCH - it is hooked up as you show in your pic and it works.

Center hose goes back into the tank. S(upply) hose comes from tank with a filter inline pointing flow at the pump.

Hose from the engine does that triple t thing and hits the pump on the aluminum tip covered side opposite the S tip.

Think I got that right the second and third time I redid the hoses this spring.

Someone told me that the pumps do get stuck with that gate open but mine ran when on the test bench.

Hey, hit it with the right ball peen hammer, well, at least it sounds like a good idea.

Back in the 70's Fred Apgar told me that all it takes is the right hammer.

30 years later I still remember his smile, and I know he was right.

Someone here also told me these things can be taken apart and made to work again, but a NOS rebuild kit is hard to come by. I never saw one yet for sale anywhere.

J
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 27 2010, 01:09 AM
Post #19

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

IMHO - you're far better off with a rebuilt Bosch fuel pump from a reputable rebuilder - preferably Bosch themselves (as with the other 914 Bosch NLA bits), than with an unknown NOS unit which could've seized up or stuck valves, etc. just sitting on the shelf.

NOS = no f'ing warranty - which at least the rebuilds will have, even if short 6 mos. or so.

I know that AA is now selling a repro 3 port FP, but haven't heard how good & reliable they are, nor what warranty thy have on them.
+Quote Post
AvalonFal
post May 27 2010, 08:44 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 4,367
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Yeah, I'm the one that had the crazy Chinese fuel pump. As I e-mailed Tod, the ports weren't marked and the only way it worked was to switch the D & R lines. It leaked around the connector from the start and got worse. Sent it back to AA for an exchange under George's 2 year warranty and got a made in USA (California) rebuilt 3 port. So far, so good. Ports are marked and correct, no leaks, etc, but I've not taken the car for an extended drive yet. Incidentally, the new pump also has "Germany" on the bottom of the case. Probably they just refinish and reuse old good cases in the rebuilding.

Paul
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 06:49 AM