Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> One Less Virgin, Didn't even hurt...
d7n7master
post Apr 18 2004, 09:27 PM
Post #1

Gary#

Group: Members
Member No.: 421

Hi All,
Well, I've been planning this since December. Finally got all of the tools & parts. Ran out of excuses. Did my first 914 engine drop - by myself - using the PP method. Worked like a champ. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Two hyd. jacks rock!!!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Now the cleanup begins. Any suggestions of stuff (in the engine bay) to replace while the engine's out??? Thanks!!!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 9)
double-a
post Apr 18 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

kudos to you! this is something i'm not quite brave enough to do yet, though my hell hole does need to be taken care of, and eventually i'll have to just do it.

~a
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Apr 18 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #3

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Rust...check for rust.....

BTW,,,why the engine pull?
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Apr 18 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #4

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

While you have the engine out fix all the rust and repaint the engine bay so it looks all purdy.

Geoff
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Apr 18 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #5

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

Rid yourself of the engine compartment sound pad. Clean and paint engine compartment. Make sure both hell holes are clean and the drains are not plugged. Make sure both inner rear suspension ear nuts are properly torqued down,as its hella easier to check with the engine out. Basically, clean everything up. It is a HUGE morale boost when you put the engine back in and it looks good
+Quote Post
Gary
post Apr 18 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 134
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Great!

I remember my first drop as a a feeling of major accomplishment.

I'd replace every piece of rubber you can get ahold of: intake manifold tubing, all vacuum lines, fuel injector o-rings, fuel lines, oil cooler washers. Now's a good time to clean up (or if you have a high quality crimper, replace) all the spade connector grounds. The intake boot seems to like to split on the bottom. You can check that now too. A new alternator belt is easy now. This stuff is hard/impossible to do with the engine in and can be replaced for south of $100.

Non engine related stuff I'd also check the fuel lines from the center tunnel, the health of the clutch tube and "hell hole". Other "nice-to-dos" that are easier with the motor oout if you have the time and $$: If the rubber brake hoses have never been replaced in your possession, it's easier with the motor out. The firewall shiftrod bushing is a cinch now too. Valve adjust and spark plug change.

That's all I can think of for now, and can all be done in a reasonable weekend (the reason for your motor drop not withstanding). I'm sure others will chime in.

Gary
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Apr 18 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #7

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441

Good job. It's Deja'vu for me since I just got mine back in this week. First timer too. I got lucky.. no rust in the hell hole. Even put on my new Bilstein shocks. Now I need to lower the front to match the back (or feel like I'm driving up hill all the time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

..........b

Chris, I like yer new avatar. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
d7n7master
post Apr 19 2004, 02:52 PM
Post #8

Gary#

Member No.: 421

Great suggestions - Thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
I have a spare car to get me around so I'm gonna attack every piece of rubber I can touch. I know your not gonna believe this - but I can't find any rust in either hell hole, none under the battery tray either. I'll get a better look after I clean everything. I failed to mention why I had to pull the engine; it had started to "knock" at an idle after it came up to temp. Did that for a couple of weeks. Then one day I stopped for a few minutes on my way home from work. When I started it, the "knock" was ten times louder than it had EVER been. So loud that I was tempted to shut it off and call AAA. But I was about a mile from my house so... I popped it in gear, carefully let the clutch out and the knocking got faster and faster. It had NO power. Couldn't get past second gear. But, she took me home!!! Gotta luv it.
I'm thinkin' I dropped a valve seat or possibly one of the cam gear bolts came loose???
I'll have it apart this weekend & all will be revealed. Whats left of it anyway.
cheers, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 19 2004, 03:00 PM
Post #9

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Yep, sounds like a seat. It will change voulme as temps change. Sorry to hear that dude. Good news is, it's not terminal.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Apr 19 2004, 03:30 PM
Post #10

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

My last two valve seat drops would not even re-start, let alone get me home. To "me" it sounds like a rod....hope it's not, obviously as it is more $$. Good luck, let us know what it is.....

BTW....before you do a rebuild....add up the parts and/or labor before ya do it...email me, I "might" know someone with a complete rebuilt motor just sitting waiting for a new owner.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 06:15 AM