Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rear 5 Lug Conversion, Any "How To's"
EdArango
post Apr 20 2011, 04:39 PM
Post #1

914 Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,309
Region Association: Southern California

Hello Everyone,

I just ordered the rear 5 lug conversion kit from Parts Heaven and I need a little help. I can't seem to find a tread that shows me how to replace parts out including the bearings. Can you guys give me a hand with links to these types of threads?

Thank you my all knowing....all mighty..914 friends!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Ed
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 11)
PeeGreen 914
post Apr 20 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #2

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(EdArango @ Apr 20 2011, 03:39 PM) *

Hello Everyone,

I just ordered the rear 5 lug conversion kit from Parts Heaven and I need a little help. I can't seem to find a tread that shows me how to replace parts out including the bearings. Can you guys give me a hand with links to these types of threads?

Thank you my all knowing....all mighty..914 friends!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Ed

What does this "kit" include? There is a number of way you can covert. I will see if I can dig up the all inclusive 5-lug thread.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Apr 20 2011, 04:59 PM
Post #3

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
EdArango
post Apr 20 2011, 05:12 PM
Post #4

914 Enthusiast

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 20 2011, 03:59 PM) *

Thanks Jon for the link! This is what the kit come with.

Attached Image

Ed
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Apr 20 2011, 05:15 PM
Post #5

Oh, that's pretty basic to do. You need a bearing press though.

Get the old bearings out and pull the new bearing in. Bolt the other stuff up and you are good to go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 20 2011, 05:20 PM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Ed- Read Eric's thread. He convinced me that I should switch to early 911 hubs, stub axles and cv's to take advantage of the stronger cv's when using a larger 6 engine. It's not something that you HAVE to do but you might want to. The same reason Dr Evil deleted 1st gear from my trans and added a flipped H for 5th gear. I wanted to have a reliable car so I'm trying to do things in advance to hopefully increse the reliability, longevity and drivability of the conversion. Everything about a big 6 conversion is a slippery slope to a big $ build.

+Quote Post
913B
post Apr 20 2011, 09:35 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,983
Region Association: None

Read and buy this stuff from the hardware store, less than $15, pulled them old bearings out and installed the new ones like a breeze.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...91491&st=60

Post #73 and the link to the original post http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...rkona&st=40

As far as the removing the original flange (hub) goes, the trick is to to use an inverted ~20 mm impact socket with a long 1/2" extension and whack it from the inside out with a big hammer, came out like a breeze too, wouldn't hurt to spray some PB blaster between the hub and bearing. I can snap a pic to show what I mean tomorrow.

Ed, can I ask a favor. I am having a heck of time locating machinist to drill my 4-lug rotors to 5. I was thinking of just buying 914-6 rotors. But some people say I need to turn them down. Can you sized up your 5-lug rotor and compare it to your orignal 4 lug rotor and tell me if the diameter and anything else is the same or different.

Thanks in Advance
Ted
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 21 2011, 08:25 AM
Post #8

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Apr 20 2011, 11:35 PM) *

Read and buy this stuff from the hardware store, less than $15, pulled them old bearings out and installed the new ones like a breeze.

Post #73 and the link to the original post http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...rkona&st=40

As far as the removing the original flange (hub) goes, the trick is to to use an inverted ~20 mm impact socket with a long 1/2" extension and whack it from the inside out with a big hammer, came out like a breeze too, wouldn't hurt to spray some PB blaster between the hub and bearing. I can snap a pic to show what I mean tomorrow.

Ed, can I ask a favor. I am having a heck of time locating machinist to drill my 4-lug rotors to 5. I was thinking of just buying 914-6 rotors. But some people say I need to turn them down. Can you sized up your 5-lug rotor and compare it to your orignal 4 lug rotor and tell me if the diameter and anything else is the same or different.

Thanks in Advance
Ted

Ted,
Call Rich Bontempi at HPH (High Performance House)
I am certain he can help or point you at the right shop to get it done.

RIch
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Apr 21 2011, 08:58 AM
Post #9

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

All 914-6 rotors need be turned down. More money.

Ted, it's not that difficult:

http://www.google.com/search?q=San+Mateo+A...amp;ie=&oe=

Find a good automotive machine shop and tell them you want 5x130 instead of 4x130

Ed, if you're moving to a six, I'd recommend different but, I think we went through that... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Depending on your rear calipers, those #18 rotors need to be machined as well.
+Quote Post
EdArango
post Apr 21 2011, 05:03 PM
Post #10

914 Enthusiast

QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Apr 20 2011, 08:35 PM) *

Thanks in Advance
Ted

No problem Ted.....I can take pics of everything for you if you like. I know that Eric is the guru on this stuff....maybe what he has stated has helped.

Ed
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Apr 21 2011, 05:17 PM
Post #11

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

Ed,

I can't think of the companies name. But they sell all kinds of performance brake parts. I bought rotors, pads, etc, and had them cross drill my rotors.

Located on west side of Placentia Ave between 17th and 19th--can't miss it
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Apr 21 2011, 08:06 PM
Post #12

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

OK - just remembered. It's Porterfield.

They have a web page with all their product lines Good people, been in Costa Mesa forever
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 03:43 AM