Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> V8 Grief, Now what do I do?
Howard
post May 17 2004, 03:55 PM
Post #1

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943
Region Association: None

Bottom line. Seller listed it as a '383 Chev with less than 300 miles on rebuild'. Also was supposed to have 'tall geared transmission'. Neither.

Thing was running incredibly rich and using 1 qt per 100 miles. Compression all over the map. Tried the obvious things, but gave up and took to a pro who tore it down.

It's a 305 that's .030 over (310ci??). Looks like a fairly fresh rebuild with good parts, but wrong valve springs, so cam went flat. Lots of metal in oil, needs new cam, springs, rings (never seated and cylinders glazed), bearings, oil pump, valve job, and several yada yadas.

Seller is a licensed CA auto dealer, I have copy of ad showing 383 and transmission mod's, so am confident he will get stuck with at least part of the bill if I go to court. But for now:

My wrench says he can put it back together just fine , but advises I go to a crate 350 for about $1200 more. 383 is out due to 901 transmission. It would be nice to try to stick PO for a fresh 383 ($2500) tall geared tranny ($3000) and ~ $2000 for installation, but don't really want to go that far.

305, 350, or the works??

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Howard
post May 17 2004, 03:56 PM
Post #2

Incontin(g)ent Member

and the head

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
John2kx
post May 17 2004, 04:12 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,066

Howard,

Sorry about your engine. I'd go for the full bannana from the car dealer but wouldn't be surprised if he passes that buck on to whomever he bought the car from. Unless he built the car himself. If that were the case, a new engine, trans. and labor might satisfy me.

If you end up with a healthy check, you might want to consider having Wild Bill in Ca. build you a engine designed to make the 901 survive.

John
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post May 17 2004, 04:18 PM
Post #4

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

Crappy deal! Try and get as much our of him as you can. And maybe kick him in the nuts too. Just for fun!
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 17 2004, 04:34 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

dude, that sucks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

listen to your wrench and get the crate 350 ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
Howard
post May 17 2004, 05:33 PM
Post #6

Incontin(g)ent Member

Seller's excuse 'I was only selling it for a friend of mine, that's what he told me' But check was payable to dealer (Harley Davidson of Fullerton) and the receipt on his stationery. Got him by the short hairs, but I'm not a knife twister, at least not yet.

The thing is faster than I am anyway, so extra HP less important than driveability. The general opinion I hear from the board is that 300hp/300lbs is the practical limit for the 901 even if you don't abuse it. Ratios still wrong, but I can also go to bigger diam rear tires. There's enough room under that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) tail to get some from John Deere.

Will a stock 350 exceed those limits? If not I'll go with that. Want to do this now and not wait to BS with seller because...

Saddest part of story. Mechanic lost his 23 year old son last week. Don't know details, but that can't be good. He had promised before to have car ready for WCC and while I certainly wouldn't hold him to that, he insists. Then he wants to close up for a while and collect his brains. Want to let him know ASAP.
+Quote Post
skline
post May 17 2004, 05:39 PM
Post #7

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Well, by law the dealer is supposed to supply you with what you purchased, however, I tried something along those lines before and all they have to say is that they were unaware and were going by the original owner told them. Did you get a warranty from where you bought it? If not, then you are probably SOL. Also, You cant run a 383 in a 914 unless you run a really modified gearbox. The torque would tear the trans apart in almost any gear. I built a 383 roller for my Chevelle and it was 470+ HP with 535 pounds of torque. 901 killer. I would go for the crate 350. 1200 doesnt sound bad at all. I know I have a lot more than that in my 283 rebuild. The crate motor should give you years of service with no problems. Those are definetly 305 heads. The cool thing about the heads though, is the small chambers. I am running a set of ported 305 heads on mine because they have 55cc chambers bringing my compression up to 10.5 to 1. I also got bigger valves installed which is why the chamber is so small.
+Quote Post
propricer
post May 17 2004, 05:57 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,938

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

If your going to stay with the 901 which, by the way, is not a bad way to go, then the preferred engine is a hi-reving 283 which is the best match for the 901. 2nd choice is a hi-reving 327. Last choice is a 350 which has too much pump for the poor 901.

Good luck and, again, sorry ... Ed
+Quote Post
Howard
post May 17 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #9

Incontin(g)ent Member

Scott, sure I'll have fun with dealer on this, but that's later. BTW, sent an email to the guy you referred me to on the 350, but no response. If he's a friend, and/or you know it's a good motor, tell him I want to talk.
+Quote Post
Levi
post May 17 2004, 05:59 PM
Post #10

Lick my nuts

Member No.: 1,783

WOW you guys are good, I've never meet anyone before now that could tell what kinda of SBC heads they were looking at, from the bottom of a bad picture, jeese I can't even tell without looking up the numbers.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post May 17 2004, 06:04 PM
Post #11

Born to Drive

QUOTE(Howard @ May 17 2004, 03:58 PM)
Scott, sure I'll have fun with dealer on this, but that's later. BTW, sent an email to the guy you referred me to on the 350, but no response. If he's a friend, and/or you know it's a good motor, tell him I want to talk.

I dotn know him personally, I thought I gave you his number too. I talked to him and told him you were going to call. I would for sure pull the heads on it and look inside before I bought it. It sounded like a good deal. Give him a call and if you decide to go there and look, I will go with you with a few tools to open it up.
+Quote Post
skline
post May 17 2004, 06:06 PM
Post #12

Born to Drive

QUOTE(Levi @ May 17 2004, 03:59 PM)
WOW you guys are good, I've never meet anyone before now that could tell what kinda of SBC heads they were looking at, from the bottom of a bad picture, jeese I can't even tell without looking up the numbers.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

The chamber size and the casting marks on the runners are the giveaway on the 305 heads. You are just used to 283's and 327's and 350's from your stable.
+Quote Post
Levi
post May 17 2004, 06:27 PM
Post #13

Lick my nuts

QUOTE(skline @ May 17 2004, 04:06 PM)
QUOTE(Levi @ May 17 2004, 03:59 PM)
WOW you guys are good,  I've never meet anyone before now that could tell what kinda of SBC heads they were looking at, from the bottom of a bad picture,  jeese I can't even tell without looking up the numbers.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)  :lol2:  :worship:

The chamber size and the casting marks on the runners are the giveaway on the 305 heads. You are just used to 283's and 327's and 350's from your stable.

Like I said your the best I've met... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

The engine in the 64 impala that I was posting pictures of is a 305,
I've done em all, been doing Chevys, Big Blocks and Small blocks for about 25 years.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
boxstr
post May 17 2004, 07:36 PM
Post #14

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Howard, as you know I am running a 327 with 283 forged crank and late 80s IROC heads for a 302. Should be around 340- ft lbs torque. This is run through the stock trans.
I would have to say that this is an extremely user friendly combo.
I have more than enough off the line power and autocross low end torque. I would do it again, even if I were to have a motor built by someone.
I have to concur with the option of the "crate" motor, great way to go. Not that much more $$.
Keep us posted, we would all like to know what your conclusion is.
Also any time for golf while in SJ in June for the WCC??
CCLINICOULDHAVE AV8
+Quote Post
DuckRyder
post May 17 2004, 07:43 PM
Post #15

Avatars Mode: OFF because of the recalcitrant few.

Member No.: 110

It is hard to beat Chevy crate motor prices. I agree do a 350 crate motor.

You can get an idea of whats available here:

http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=ca..._start&catid=63
+Quote Post
Levi
post May 17 2004, 08:20 PM
Post #16

Lick my nuts

QUOTE(boxstr @ May 17 2004, 05:36 PM)
Howard, as you know I am running a 327 with 283 forged crank and late 80s IROC heads for a 302. Should be around 340- ft lbs torque. This is run through the stock trans.
I have more than enough off the line power and autocross low end torque. I would do it again, even if I were to have a motor built by someone.
I have to concur with the option of the "crate" motor, great way to go. Not that much more $$.
CCLINICOULDHAVE AV8

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
skline
post May 17 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #17

Born to Drive

QUOTE(Levi @ May 17 2004, 06:20 PM)
CCLINICOULDHAVE AV8

Are you sure its not a 283 w/327 crank?? for 302CID (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Actually, he is correct, GM took a 327 block and destroked it with a 283 small journal crank to create the Z28 motor in 1967. Very popular with the racers back in the 70's. Joe Buckle is building that same engine. The only year that had a mass produced 302 was the 69 Z28. Anything before that was the 327 destroked.
+Quote Post
Levi
post May 17 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #18

Lick my nuts

QUOTE(skline @ May 17 2004, 06:33 PM)
QUOTE(Levi @ May 17 2004, 06:20 PM)
CCLINICOULDHAVE AV8

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Actually, he is correct, GM took a 327 block and destroked it with a 283 small journal crank to create the Z28 motor in 1967. Very popular with the racers back in the 70's. Joe Buckle is building that same engine. The only year that had a mass produced 302 was the 69 Z28. Anything before that was the 327 destroked.

Yup,
See I only think I know it all... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)
+Quote Post
tesserra
post May 18 2004, 12:07 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 479

If you need quick do the Crate motor. If you have time do the "Wild Bill" motor.
There is a Crate motor that has roller lifters that was not that much more.
I understand that the 305 is likely the worst motor for a 914. It was built for torque over HP and lower rpm range. You really want RPM range and not more than 300 lb tq for the 901.
I think the ideal motor for these cars would be the 302 with alu heads and injected.
Good luck,
George
+Quote Post
MrPitbull
post May 18 2004, 02:24 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,994

Hello!!
I have a Chevy 350 in my car and it puts out 288hp on the rear wheels, and this works fine.
But if I should build a new engine it would defently be a 283 with lots and lots of rpm, and not that much torque....300 hp but a engine that would peak 8000rpm!! That would be nice!!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 08:00 AM