Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How do you read a electrical diagram
dimmer
post May 24 2004, 05:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,060

I am looking at the current flow diagrams, and can't figure them out. Can anyone give me some insight on how they go?
I started up the car and my brake warning light is now on and so is my turn signal light ( very dimly lit). I figure I must have a short somewhere.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 12)
ablose58
post May 24 2004, 05:50 AM
Post #2

rust never sleeps

Member No.: 1,422

They read very similar to a road map. it just completes a loop.. you have a + and a-, and they meet at a termination point. without it being in front of me I can't help you now but maybe someone else will chime in. AL
+Quote Post
type47
post May 24 2004, 07:33 AM
Post #3

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

it might help if you could think of the electrical current "flowing" from + to -. the - is also known as "ground". basically, the current flows from the + of the battery to the - of the battery, since the - of the battery is connected to the chassis, the chassis is called the ground connection. in the 74 electrical diagram on this site, the bottom of the picture is "ground" and the current can be traced thru all the components.
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post May 24 2004, 08:41 AM
Post #4

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

QUOTE(type47 @ May 24 2004, 05:33 AM)
basically, the current flows from the + of the battery to the - of the battery

Actually, current flows from the - battery terminal, to the + battery terminal in a DC circuit. Try swapping out the turn signal relay and see if that does it.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 24 2004, 12:15 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Special_K @ May 24 2004, 07:41 AM)
QUOTE(type47 @ May 24 2004, 05:33 AM)
basically, the current flows from the + of the battery to the - of the battery

Actually, current flows from the - battery terminal, to the + battery terminal in a DC circuit. Try swapping out the turn signal relay and see if that does it.

Actually, both is right, somewhat ...

1) there is the "technical current flow", which is from + to - and is used in all electrical diagrams and circuit layouts ... (this is the one you want to remember when trying to read a diagram)

2) then there is the "scientific current flow", which is from - to +.
the electrons still move from + to - btw., but it's actually not the electrons that move at all (on their own), it's the "holes" or empty space inbetween the electrons that moves, from - to + . by doing so, it "pushes" the electrons the other way (from + to -) ...

confused now? don't worry about it, chances are, you won't need 2) anytime soon.
Andy
+Quote Post
JFJ914
post May 24 2004, 12:22 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 814
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(dimmer @ May 24 2004, 07:26 AM)
I am looking at the current flow diagrams, and can't figure them out. Can anyone give me some insight on how they go?
I started up the car and my brake warning light is now on and so is my turn signal light ( very dimly lit). I figure I must have a short somewhere.

If you are talking about the "Current Track" diagrams for 74+, each circuit has a number on the ground side (bottom) . Follow the 12v from the top of the page through the stuff it works to ground on the page bottom.
+Quote Post
F4i
post May 24 2004, 12:31 PM
Post #7

914 DOG!

Member No.: 1,460

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 24 2004, 11:15 AM)

the electrons still move from + to - btw., but it's actually not the electrons that move at all (on their own), it's the "holes" or empty space inbetween the electrons that moves, from - to + . by doing so, it "pushes" the electrons the other way (from + to -) ...

Problem is nobody told old Ben Franklin or michael Faraday.

For reading the 74 and up diagrams I like to think of it as water. It runs downhill (down the page)from positive to negative.
+Quote Post
phantom914
post May 24 2004, 12:48 PM
Post #8

non-914-owner non-club member

Member No.: 1,708

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 24 2004, 10:15 AM)
Actually, both is right, somewhat ...

1) there is the "technical current flow", which is from + to - and is used in all electrical diagrams and circuit layouts ... (this is the one you want to remember when trying to read a diagram)

confused now? don't worry about it, chances are, you won't need 2) anytime soon.
Andy

OK Andy, you got pretty close. + to - is conventional current flow and is what geeks, also known as engineers, work with. - to + is electron current flow. Electrons move from - to +. Holes move from + to -.

Andrew
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 24 2004, 01:00 PM
Post #9

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(phantom914 @ May 24 2004, 11:48 AM)
OK Andy, you got pretty close.

close enough (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) it's been what, 20 years now that i had to sit through this in school last time.
plus, i don't have the english lingo down for all the stuff, i could tell you the german words and names but that wouldn't help much, now would it?

i think the important lesson here is: THAM ™ (The Holes Are Moving!!!!)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
phantom914
post May 24 2004, 01:30 PM
Post #10

non-914-owner non-club member

Member No.: 1,708

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 24 2004, 11:00 AM)
QUOTE(phantom914 @ May 24 2004, 11:48 AM)
OK Andy, you got pretty close.

close enough (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) it's been what, 20 years now that i had to sit through this in school last time.
plus, i don't have the english lingo down for all the stuff, i could tell you the german words and names but that wouldn't help much, now would it?

i think the important lesson here is: THAM ™ (The Holes Are Moving!!!!)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) Andy

Sir Andy,

Electrons are the charged particles that move when a current flows in a circuit. Speaking of "holes" moving is usually reserved for explaining semi-conductor theory. At least in Englisch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Conventional flow arose before the physics of early observations of electricity was understood. Electron flow is what arose as scientists learned the actual mechanisms of electricity. Now you can choose whichever convention makes you happy, although some electrical symbols make more sense with conventional flow in mind.

Andrew (geek)
+Quote Post
94teener
post May 24 2004, 04:55 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,636

I think today that most engineers, electrical techs and electricians think of current flow as electron flow. Electrons are "negative charged" particles, they are attracted only to a positive anode. Electrons repel oneanother. Think of electroplating, the negative anode erodes, giving up material, the positive anode (the object being plated) collects the negatively charged particles. Holes are the absence of electrons, they are not matter.

Phil
+Quote Post
Jeff Bonanno
post May 24 2004, 05:00 PM
Post #12

il dottore

Member No.: 636

negative 'cathode' erodes... think cat- for place where cations are generated (or electrons leave, oxidation occurs) and an- for place where anions are generated (or electrons arrive, reduction occurs)
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post May 24 2004, 05:09 PM
Post #13

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166
Region Association: None

Just to add to the confusion, electron current is the net directional movement of electrons. If you put an electron into one end of a conductor (wire) it will take a really really long time for it to come out the other end... But since conductors have lots of free electrons, the instant you push one in, one will pop out on the other end, at nearly the speed of light. Since insulators have few free electrons, it takes a lot of potential (voltage) to push that electron through that large empty space.

Holes may not have mass, but then light has no mass, yet it has momentum...... very strange stuff.

-Tony
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 03:55 AM