Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Buzzing sound in my radio ? Need sound advise, Link added to a car audio DIY Education
TC 914-8
post Jun 13 2011, 10:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,090
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I was triing to clean up my center console the other day and moved my booster from inside the console to the outside, passenger side. once I did that I have a very loud and obnoxious buss in my raido. If I plug in and play my I Pod directly into the booster, no noise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . I have grounded the raido, booster, even went as far as grounding the sheilds of the RCA cables (and tried different cables) into the booster. That seemed to quiet it up a slight bit but still buzzes when the FM, CD is on.
I then went to raido Shack and picked up a noise supressor (inline capacitor) Still didn't help.
I am begining to think Ignition or Alternator? Every thing was fine till I moved the booster from inside to the outside. This happened once before but not as severe, I just moved a few wires around and it went away.
Any ideas??

Here is the link I found good for the DIY guy who knows enough to be dangerous.
http://www.bcae1.com/
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Mike Bellis
post Jun 13 2011, 10:34 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

The sound you hear is the ignition and alternator. That does not mean they are bad. If it only does it with the radio and not with your ipod, the most likely problem is the radio ground. Check the ground wire terminal. Find where it is grounded and clean the connection. It should get better. Ground the booster and radio to the same chassis screw.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jun 13 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Take the radio out and listen to your car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Jun 13 2011, 10:48 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 13 2011, 09:34 PM) *

The sound you hear is the ignition and alternator. That does not mean they are bad. If it only does it with the radio and not with your ipod, the most likely problem is the radio ground. Check the ground wire terminal. Find where it is grounded and clean the connection. It should get better. Ground the booster and radio to the same chassis screw.

Yep I did all that, I have a #8 grounding the booster thru a 10mm bolt on one of the dash mtg bolts. I took the radio ground to the #8, even soldered the terminals. then I even grounded the radio chasis with the support band and bolted it ti the dash brackets. Do you think by some chance the intrenal filter in the radio failed? I was going to buy a cheap o radio and see if it stops?
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Jun 13 2011, 10:50 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 13 2011, 09:37 PM) *

Take the radio out and listen to your car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

You're absoultly right Elliot, Nothing beats the scream of the V-8 when wide open but I have to keep the wife entertained when on the WCR ride to crater lake
+Quote Post
messix
post Jun 13 2011, 11:31 PM
Post #6

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

all of your audion equipment needs to be grounded at the same point. keep the rca cords away from any electric wires [do not bundle the power wires with the rca cords]
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Jun 13 2011, 11:34 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(messix @ Jun 13 2011, 10:31 PM) *

all of your audion equipment needs to be grounded at the same point. keep the rca cords away from any electric wires [do not bundle the power wires with the rca cords]

Did that too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
messix
post Jun 13 2011, 11:35 PM
Post #8

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada

QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Jun 13 2011, 10:34 PM) *

does it do it when playing a cd?
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Jun 13 2011, 11:40 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(messix @ Jun 13 2011, 10:35 PM) *

YES Any time the RCA cables are plugged in and he engine is on it buzzes.
FYI I also removed the Bosch-4 Sparks and went with stock Delco plugs. But I cant remember when I did what
+Quote Post
messix
post Jun 13 2011, 11:44 PM
Post #10

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Jun 13 2011, 10:40 PM) *

FYI I also removed the Bosch-4 Sparks and went with stock Delco plugs. But I cant remember when I did what

you need to run resistor plugs and restistor plug wires.
+Quote Post
messix
post Jun 13 2011, 11:45 PM
Post #11

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

QUOTE(messix @ Jun 13 2011, 10:44 PM) *

and check to see if any of the plug wires are close to any power wires
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Jun 13 2011, 11:50 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(messix @ Jun 13 2011, 10:45 PM) *

Ya, Im sure they are all resistor type plugs and wires. Everything was fine and well til I moved the booster. Are you gonna be at the WCR?
+Quote Post
messix
post Jun 13 2011, 11:50 PM
Post #13

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Jun 13 2011, 10:50 PM) *

Ya, Im sure they are all resistor type plugs and wires. Everything was fine ad well til I moved the booster. Are you gonna be at the WCR?

nope
+Quote Post
messix
post Jun 13 2011, 11:51 PM
Post #14

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

QUOTE(messix @ Jun 13 2011, 10:50 PM) *

QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Jun 13 2011, 10:50 PM) *

Ya, Im sure they are all resistor type plugs and wires. Everything was fine ad well til I moved the booster. Are you gonna be at the WCR?

nope

calling you now
+Quote Post
Tom
post Jun 14 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

Tony,
Does the buzz go up and down in frequency with RPM's? If so an inline filter kit will help a lot. Got one from Radio Shack many years ago and it worked. It has an inline inductor and a capacitor and instructions in how to install. The inductor goes inline on the power lead and the cap goes from one side to ground. You mentioned you got a cap to go inline from RS, but not sure if you got the right stuff. A cap inline will not filter any "noise " out. The people at RS these days don't understand electronics very well from my experience lately. I went in some time ago looking for some diodes and asked the young guy where they had them, he pointed out a cabinet - I went over and it was resistors. LOL!!! Had to look around and find them myself.
Tom
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Jun 14 2011, 01:45 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 8,476

QUOTE(Tom @ Jun 14 2011, 11:43 AM) *

Tony,
Does the buzz go up and down in frequency with RPM's? If so an inline filter kit will help a lot. Got one from Radio Shack many years ago and it worked. It has an inline inductor and a capacitor and instructions in how to install. The inductor goes inline on the power lead and the cap goes from one side to ground. You mentioned you got a cap to go inline from RS, but not sure if you got the right stuff. A cap inline will not filter any "noise " out. The people at RS these days don't understand electronics very well from my experience lately. I went in some time ago looking for some diodes and asked the young guy where they had them, he pointed out a cabinet - I went over and it was resistors. LOL!!! Had to look around and find them myself.
Tom

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

This filter is sometimes called a pi filter because it's schematic sort of has the shape of the Greek letter pi (one inductor & two caps). FYI.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Jun 14 2011, 02:47 PM
Post #17

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Did you change anything on your power source wire or ignition source wire?

Sometimes adding a fuse or cutting and reconnecting the main or ign wire can cause resistance or even going to a longer wire can put a bit more load on the source attachment point and might be putting it close to the max load for the fuse! Also using a fuse or wire on the ground that is smaller than than the source wire can cause a problem!

Just throwing it out!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
jmill
post Jun 14 2011, 04:11 PM
Post #18

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

When I installed car stereos back in the day, I always kept the ground wire as short as possible and never spliced into a ground to lengthen it. Solder and shrink tube if I screwed up and had to. If I had a buzz I always suspected a bad ground.

When you say booster do you mean amp? When I did it for a living anything called a booster was cheap stuff. Things might have changed in 20 years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Jun 14 2011, 08:14 PM
Post #19

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the replies. Yes the frequency of the Buzzing does go up and down with the RPMs, also comes in louder when my electric fans kick in. The Capacitor (noise supressor) does have a ground, it was a cheap-o for $8 bucks, are there better ones?
Also, when I say Booster I do mean Amp, yea, I'm old school. I will be home tomorrow night and give it one more once over I'll ground the grounds, and bring a new supply voltage line to the radio.
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Jun 14 2011, 08:18 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(windforfun @ Jun 14 2011, 12:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom @ Jun 14 2011, 11:43 AM) *

Tony,
Tom

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

This filter is sometimes called a pi filter because it's schematic sort of has the shape of the Greek letter pi (one inductor & two caps). FYI.

Ahh, The one I have isn't that advanced, I'll look for one of those.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 03:31 AM